Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 04:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Seriously, you want a plutocracy then?

I mean lets be honest, thats exactly what you describe, where those with property or income run the country, and they can just....vote to keep the poor poor.

Yes SOME people are like that-they don't want to work. Guess what? Its a pretty damn small minority. And those "lazy" people? Most of them dont vote either. I know! Weird huh?
Think about it. Why people receiving government welfare should be allowed to vote? It makes no sense that they have a say in how to spend other people's money.

I am not saying ban them forever. As soon as they pay back or after a certain amount of time not receiving welfare, they should be allowed to vote again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Think about it. Why people receiving government welfare should be allowed to vote? It makes no sense that they have a say in how to spend other people's money.

I am not saying ban them forever. As soon as they pay back or after a certain amount of time not receiving welfare, they should be allowed to vote again.
This is such a horrific idea that....Im in awe.

So...we throw away any pretense of having a democracy, and define ourselves as a plutocracy. And the laws we make will continue to benefit the wealthy, at the expense of the poor. Eventually a small minority would rule us all.

Sorry, but thats not the America I believe in. I would in all honesty leave for a country that was closer to the ideals I was raised to believe in.

I recommend watching Elysium and asking yourself if thats the future you want.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is such a horrific idea that....Im in awe.

So...we throw away any pretense of having a democracy, and define ourselves as a plutocracy. And the laws we make will continue to benefit the wealthy, at the expense of the poor. Eventually a small minority would rule us all.

Sorry, but thats not the America I believe in. I would in all honesty leave for a country that was closer to the ideals I was raised to believe in.

I recommend watching Elysium and asking yourself if thats the future you want.
Elysium is Occupy the movie. :-) Some people believe they are entitled to other peoples asset by their own mere existence.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
And when they BLOW all that money on junk and cry poor-mouth to Big Brother........what then????????????

Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't see why this isn't a good idea. The poor would be better off getting money in their pocket instead of leeching off the welfare state. This idea is gaining traction. Some prominent conservatives are actually entertaining the idea.
It's fine with me. Milton Friedman proposed this decades ago, calling the negative income tax. It would cut out the bureaucracy, and thus will never fly with liberals, most of whom are bureaucrats. You're going to have to shoot it out with their SWAT team minions to get something like this through, and they have stockpiled a lot of ammo in the past few years.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Elysium is Occupy the movie. :-) Some people believe they are entitled to other peoples asset by their own mere existence.
Shrug. Are you a member of a society or not? Are you OK with people creating $100 of profit, and receiving $1 in pay?

All the while increasingly long patents, copyrights, and laws make it impossible for the individual to compete with large multinationals?

Some people think they're entitled to live better then others because they believe that they are somehow more important. That they're efforts DESERVE to be rewarded more then others. Because they work HARDER then others, and SMARTER then others. Or because they inherited the money they deserve it.

Reality-the guy digging ditches works HARDER then most people, the software engineer guy making 100K works SMARTER then most everyone....and that CEO making 3 million? He knows someone.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's fine with me. Milton Friedman proposed this decades ago, calling the negative income tax. It would cut out the bureaucracy, and thus will never fly with liberals, most of whom are bureaucrats. You're going to have to shoot it out with their SWAT team minions to get something like this through, and they have stockpiled a lot of ammo in the past few years.
Im OK with it actually. I'd argue for a flat everyone gets X being a better choice in order to reduce the overhead, and to reduce work disincentives.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't see why this isn't a good idea. The poor would be better off getting money in their pocket instead of leeching off the welfare state. This idea is gaining traction. Some prominent conservatives are actually entertaining the idea.
That's the catch-22 of entitlement programs. You wanna help people truly in need, but you also want to discourage people from government dependency and laziness.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

US Basic Income Guarantee - YouTube

Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Why does everyone have to work? - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies