Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times

Advertisements

A political post and question about the evils of homelessness, and the public's responsibility to the homeless:

My wife and I go into a 7-11 Store in WDC and walk back to use the rest room. (Yes, a rare 7-11 with a restroom!) Blocking the path is a homeless man who passed out on the way to or from the restroom. His pants are down and his private parts are showing for everyone to see. He is sleeping, or dead, hard to tell.

Shocked, we went to the clerk and told him what we saw in the back of the store and he refused to do anything. He said, "Oh he is homeless, we have them passed out in the store all the time."

Hearing our appeal to the Clerk, a number of other customers walk back to the homeless man and stared. A few giggle and others are shocked to see his private parts visible for all to see. But no one did a thing.

So we went to dinner and returned to the 7-11 store an hour later to see what had happened. We found the sleeping homeless man still blocking the entrance of the restroom and still asleep with his private parts showing.

Should we have called the police because the clerk refused to do anything? Would the police even show up and would they require we give our name and stay there until they showed up? What is our responsibility as human beings when this takes place in a private business setting inside. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
The bum should have been arrested for public intoxication and loitering.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Are you serious? Yes, you should have called 911 when the clerk didn't. I love how you imply that everyone other than you had a responsibility to make that call. Sheesh.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:43 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
If you are genuinely concerned that he needs medical attention then call 911 - otherwise let him sleep it off.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
A political post and question about the evils of homelessness, and the public's responsibility to the homeless:

My wife and I go into a 7-11 Store in WDC and walk back to use the rest room. (Yes, a rare 7-11 with a restroom!) Blocking the path is a homeless man who passed out on the way to or from the restroom. His pants are down and his private parts are showing for everyone to see. He is sleeping, or dead, hard to tell.

Shocked, we went to the clerk and told him what we saw in the back of the store and he refused to do anything. He said, "Oh he is homeless, we have them passed out in the store all the time."

Hearing our appeal to the Clerk, a number of other customers walk back to the homeless man and stared. A few giggle and others are shocked to see his private parts visible for all to see. But no one did a thing.

So we went to dinner and returned to the 7-11 store an hour later to see what had happened. We found the sleeping homeless man still blocking the entrance of the restroom and still asleep with his private parts showing.

Should we have called the police because the clerk refused to do anything? Would the police even show up and would they require we give our name and stay there until they showed up? What is our responsibility as human beings when this takes place in a private business setting inside. What would you do?
Was it cold? If it was cold and I feared for his safety, I would have called the police. If I was concerned he had been or would be assaulted, I would also call the police. At the least, I would have gotten a guy to cover up his exposed parts for his benefit and also the benefit of others.

What I do really depends on the situation. A few weeks ago we saw a girl with a sign saying she was homeless and pregnant. We called some shelters and when one offered to take her, we went back and offered her a ride. She said she had been to that shelter before, and they didn't really help her.

So we walked with her to McDonald's, bought her lunch, gave her a little money for food and a bus ticket, and the information for some crisis pregnancies centers that would help her find housing and prenatal care. We would have gotten her a hotel room, but she said she had a couple of friends in the area and could find a couch to sleep on for that night. (Her story was that she was from another city, and her boyfriend had dropped her off on the street.)

I have no idea if she was telling the truth or not. But as Christians, we believe in being the hands and feet of Christ, so my husband and I try to do things to help people when we can.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If you are genuinely concerned that he needs medical attention then call 911 - otherwise let him sleep it off.
I agree with this. If I were concerned for his safety, I would call. Other than that, if he's sleeping it off and the store manager is okay with it, that's his call.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I'd have checked to see if he was breathing and had a pulse. If he was in distress I'd immediately dial 911. Then I'd have gone to my car and gotten a blanket and covered him up. (If I didn't have my car I'd look for what was in the store that could have been used to cover him because he is a human being and NO man deserves to lie on the floor half exposed so all the gawkers can get their jollies.)

Then I'd have looked at all the people giggling and staring and said, "This man is somebody's much-loved son." And they'd have gotten the look that says, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Old 01-28-2014, 09:56 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
On the other hand the clerk may have been constrained by store policies and welcomed an outsider calling 911. When in doubt (arguing neighbors....) I call the cops and them sort it out. If something rises to the level where you are really conflicted about calling or not then it's time to call - but don't call just because you are a busy body or outraged that a drunk passed out in public.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Is 7-11 a private business?

Then the manager gets to decide.

I think it's a poor decision by the manager, however.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Was it cold? If it was cold and I feared for his safety, I would have called the police. If I was concerned he had been or would be assaulted, I would also call the police. At the least, I would have gotten a guy to cover up his exposed parts for his benefit and also the benefit of others.

What I do really depends on the situation. A few weeks ago we saw a girl with a sign saying she was homeless and pregnant. We called some shelters and when one offered to take her, we went back and offered her a ride. She said she had been to that shelter before, and they didn't really help her.

So we walked with her to McDonald's, bought her lunch, gave her a little money for food and a bus ticket, and the information for some crisis pregnancies centers that would help her find housing and prenatal care. We would have gotten her a hotel room, but she said she had a couple of friends in the area and could find a couch to sleep on for that night. (Her story was that she was from another city, and her boyfriend had dropped her off on the street.)

I have no idea if she was telling the truth or not. But as Christians, we believe in being the hands and feet of Christ, so my husband and I try to do things to help people when we can.
You showed a lot of empathy and care, and that says a lot of really good things about you. However...

Chances are pretty good she works that area on a regular basis and her pregnant homeless girl routine get lots of donations, especially around Christmas. I was shocked last year when I saw a girl with her little "homeless pregnant" sign leave her corner, pull out her cell, make a call, and then some guy came by in a pretty sweet car and picked her up. Chances are your girl cashed in that bus ticket and pocketed the money.

But you know what, despite that cynicism, I think what you did was great. It's nice to know people do still care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies