Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,597,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
This is just illogical. You are assuming that the cost of EVERYTHING will go up BY THE SAME PERCENTAGE as the theoretical increase in minimum wage. That is just nonsense.
You claim to be a business owner? A business owner should certainly know this.

No the price will not go up as the same percentage simply because a) the employers have a need to keep the price down to maintain a competitive edge and b) the employers have other ways to cut cost such as layoff a few people, move some business elsewhere i.e. China, employ more automation or simply demand more work out of the existing employees.

So no the price won't go up as much but people are a screwed by the politicians and the clueless regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 AM

14,004 posts, read 5,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
20/20 Did a segment on this a number of years ago and it brought the family to tears to see how their sacrifice was actually putting them further an further behind.
Sample sizes < 30 are invalid.
Quote:
I might also add that if every one and anyone could accomplish what have done, you might not be compensated so well for it.
You're absolutely right. To make it big, one must find those things in high demand by the corporate world, with a corresponding low supply of people capable of doing whatever it is the corporation demands.

So if I found myself in an occupation of declining value, as I did with electronic bench tech work, network engineering, and drafting (back in the way back previous life), then I would AND HAVE put in the hard work necessary to shift careers to things that are more lucrative.

Once more, did I demand anything of you or anyone besides myself in becoming more economically viable and successful? No. I saw various jobs being dead ends, so I went and found jobs with better upsides and longevity, and put in the work needed to obtain them. I share this history with almost every successful working person in this country. Less griping to force you to improve my life, more work on my own to improve it myself. And that system just keeps on working.

And if people not making enough bothers you...YOU PAY/GIVE THEM MORE, stop demanding I do it as well.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:27 AM

No the conservatives do not hate the poor. Do your parents hate you when they refuse to give you money and demand you to move out and find a job while you sipping beers and doing nothing at 40 years old?

The name calling liberals refuse to answer the three basic questions. Assuming raising he minimum wage has no ill effect whatsoever, firstly who is going to pay the extra cost? Secondly, how do you plan to make them pay? Thirdly how is it even ethical to pay someone more when they have not brought more values to the society?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,677,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Secondly, how is it even ethical to pay someone more when they have not brought more values to the society?
You're assuming that this hypothetical person is being paid fairly to begin with.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You're assuming that this hypothetical person is being paid fairly to begin with.
How is that not fair? Both the employer and the employee agreed to the pay.

Besides if the employee believes he deserves more he can ask for a raise, go work for another company or simply start his own business.

Now if you say they can't do those, think about it. You are proposing to give a raise to someone a) can't find a better job, b) don't have the ability to start a business and c) can't produce more value.

Yes that's a right business decision to make.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
If they agreed to work for whatever wage they are receiving, then they are being paid fairly. Indentured servitude (minus taxpayers and wealth redistribution) and slavery are illegal in the United States, and all employment is voluntary. You cannot volunteer for a thing and then decide afterwards that what you agreed to of your own volition is somehow unfair, so long as the terms agreed to originally are upheld by both parties.

If I agree that I will do a job for less than minimum wage, and my employer abides by every last detail of the contract we agree to, I cannot then say making less than minimum wage is unfair. If I thought that, why would I agree to that which I know to be unfair?

Sorry, but you cannot steal that which is given to you voluntarily.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,937,984 times
I'm always amazed at how so many think a minimum wage increase means the employer just pays more and that's the end of the story, as though he or she is just making outrageous amounts of money and the wage increase means they just don't make quite as much. Doesn't work that way. Ever seen a business close or lose money. Part of the reason is wages that he or she has to pay. My son is in a low wage job at the movie theatre. Notice how much the price of movie tickets has gone up, or how expensive it is now for fast food. Wages are part of that. And remember businesses have competition. I've heard Chili's is going to electronic ordering. Guess they're trying to cut staff, and maybe eliminate wait staff. More restaurants going in that direction. Wages cannot go up without having other effects, and some studies show it cuts jobs. There's a reason some places still have very high unemployment. If it costs too much to employ people, then businesses will find other ways.

Last edited by augiedogie; 01-31-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If they agreed to work for whatever wage they are receiving, then they are being paid fairly. Indentured servitude (minus taxpayers and wealth redistribution) and slavery are illegal in the United States, and all employment is voluntary. You cannot volunteer for a thing and then decide afterwards that what you agreed to of your own volition is somehow unfair, so long as the terms agreed to originally are upheld by both parties.

If I agree that I will do a job for less than minimum wage, and my employer abides by every last detail of the contract we agree to, I cannot then say making less than minimum wage is unfair. If I thought that, why would I agree to that which I know to be unfair?

Sorry, but you cannot steal that which is given to you voluntarily.
Incorrect. Corporations steal money everyday!!! For example, when I buy an iphone at $600 a piece, the evil corporation just steal that $600 from me. Other than that, how do you explain I am now $600 short?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,704,728 times
In the long run, corporate cash is a good thing. Should they spend wisely, more people will have jobs, more people will get raises and the economy should start humming again. The question is when will companies open up their wallets.

"It's not that they don't have the cash to spend," Silverblatt says. "It's that they are choosing not to."

Companies awash in cash, when will they spend it?

What were you saying happens if wages are kept low? Oh yeah wage earners would be better off. Why is it not happening ?

Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
In the long run, corporate cash is a good thing. Should they spend wisely, more people will have jobs, more people will get raises and the economy should start humming again. The question is when will companies open up their wallets.

"It's not that they don't have the cash to spend," Silverblatt says. "It's that they are choosing not to."

Companies awash in cash, when will they spend it?

What were you saying happens if wages are kept low? Oh yeah wage earners would be better off. Why is it not happening ?
Uncertainty from the government, specifically regarding the cost of labor, has many companies bunkered down while waiting for Obama's next surprise meant to destroy them. The current climate on Capitol Hill means playing it safe and hoarding resources is the smart play. Just too many unknowns being created every day to begin any 5/10/15 year expansion or growth planning, especially with regard to labor.

That's an important context that explains why companies are awash in cash. They are waiting for Obama's next round of penalties imposed for the crime of being profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies