Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not what I said it says.. It says the EQUIVALENT of 2.5 million jobs to be lost due to LOST HOURS.. the total is nearly 92,000,000 hours A WEEK in lost productivity.

Do you know the difference between losses, and equivalent losses?

Doesnt sound like it..
No, that does not translate to lost productivity. You are spinning that in. Labor demand will continue. It may even increase in recreation and leisure time areas as more people have more time to relax while being supported by the taxpayers. In short, it means that productive people like me will have to work harder and longer to pay the bills for the growing ranks of the moochers. I will have to become even more productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not what I said it says.. It says the EQUIVALENT of 2.5 million jobs to be lost due to LOST HOURS.. the total is nearly 92,000,000 hours A WEEK in lost productivity.

Do you know the difference between losses, and equivalent losses?

Doesnt sound like it..
Err, post #55, I believe you can be quoted as saying "Your own link says there will be a loss of 2.5M jobs", but hey, please continue ....

Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, that does not translate to lost productivity. You are spinning that in. Labor demand will continue. It may even increase in recreation and leisure time areas as more people have more time to relax while being supported by the taxpayers. In short, it means that productive people like me will have to work harder and longer to pay the bills for the growing ranks of the moochers. I will have to become even more productive.
The CBO report says there will be a NET LOSS in labor. Those working will indeed have to do more in less time, but thats not the point of the thread, its to discuss the missing 92,000,000 hours a week being projected by the CBO.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Err, post #55, I believe you can be quoted as saying "Your own link says there will be a loss of 2.5M jobs", but hey, please continue ....
Your own link says the equivalent of 2.5 million jobs will be lost.. Feel better?

YOU are the one who provided the link.. Did you even read it? YOU WERE WRONG..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Even by your own quote people are deciding to work less, not being forced to work less. So many people work jobs they hate or full time due to health insurance. So many people postpone retirement (even if they have the means to support themselves) because they cant get insurance and don't want to risk their health because they are uninsured or face financial ruin. And if this is the case, that labor will still be needed, correct? A shrinkage will allow people who want to work to have higher wages, because there is a shrinking pool of labor. The same demand of labor is there, but there is less supply of labor. Sounds like a win win for people who want to work

They skipped over that part.

GOP spin 101.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
They skipped over that part.

GOP spin 101.
no we arent, we just dont think the fact that people are choosing to cut back on their hours so they can get more welfare is something to be celebrated.

I thought you were concerned about wealth inequality?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Even by your own quote people are deciding to work less, not being forced to work less. So many people work jobs they hate or full time due to health insurance. So many people postpone retirement (even if they have the means to support themselves) because they cant get insurance and don't want to risk their health because they are uninsured or face financial ruin. And if this is the case, that labor will still be needed, correct? A shrinkage will allow people who want to work to have higher wages, because there is a shrinking pool of labor. The same demand of labor is there, but there is less supply of labor. Sounds like a win win for people who want to work
If I decide to work 5 hours less a week so you can give me $5,000 in subisides, YOU are being forced to work more or pay higher taxes to afford the susidies..

If you have 92,000,000 missing hours a week (i.e. the equivelant being discussed), at $10 an hour thats $50B a year lost in the GDP..

If you lose $50B a year from the GDP, you have less employees needed to produce. Its why the hours arent being made up. So the bs about "higher wages" is just bull crap just like Obama promised $2500 a year premium drops to result in higher salaries.. Its garbage..

You just LOST $50B from the GDP, which LOWERS the demand, and thus lower salaries, not higher.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
To the Repubs, the example of "job lock" being a bad thing until it has now become a good thing is sad. They are becoming so funny it makes one real bad for the Country until they can be replaced.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
To the Repubs, "job lock" was a bad thing until it has now become a good thing. They are becoming so funny it makes one real sad for the Country until they can be replaced.
ACA hasnt unlinked the job/health care relationship

/FAIL

You should be used to that by now..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
To the Repubs, the example of "job lock" being a bad thing until it has now become a good thing is sad. They are becoming so funny it makes one real bad for the Country until they can be replaced.
Obamacare is for people who cannot get insurance.
They are not the job locked.

They are the old and sick and p/t employed.

The CBO said this loss of hours will hit the low wage earners the hardest.
Now why would the CBO say that if these people are choosing to not work ?

No work = less taxes = less revenue for Uncle Sam
And "they never saw it coming"

Guess you don't need those new jobs created or that increase in min wage now.
People would rather stay home.
This will definitely close that income gap between the poor and middle class for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies