Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly that again, css9450. None of you can explain away the fact that GMO crops do not fit the Theory of Evolution, but do indeed fit the definition of ID.

And many of you get quite belligerent when trapped in that quandary. The more nasty the responses while still not being able to refute the fact I've presented about GMO crops NOT fitting the ToE, the more I know I've made my point.
Eh - what? GMOs simply do not fall under the scope of a theory that describes speciation as it takes place in nature. There's no quandary whatsoever.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Eh - what? GMOs simply do not fall under the scope of a theory that describes speciation as it takes place in nature. There's no quandary whatsoever.
The quandary is that while not fitting the ToE, they DO fit the definition of ID. Many have gotten quite enraged and nasty when faced with that fact.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
You're not getting it. GMO crops are clear, current evidence of Intelligent Design. They exist, and don't fit the Theory of Evolution.

ID doesn't disprove the Theory of Evolution, and ToE doesn't disprove ID.
You are back to debate ID when the thread is creationism as compare to the TOE.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You are back to debate ID when the thread is creationism as compare to the TOE.
Yes. Some are conflating ID with Creationism. They're not the same. They're different. Even Ham states such.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,571 times
Quote:
The quandary is that while not fitting the ToE, they DO fit the definition of ID. Many have gotten quite enraged and nasty when faced with that fact.
The rage and nastiness comes up because you continue to promote an issue that none of us necessarily disagree with (yes, everyone KNOWS intelligent MEN designed those GMO crops) at the complete exclusion of what the subject matter is about. That earlier thread had, what, about a thousand posts but most of it was your wall of noise that had nothing to do with the topic.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,991,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I think this whole debate is just silly and is missing the bigger picture.

I'm a Christian who believes in evolution, it doesn't conflict with my beliefs at all. God created the world, maybe he used evolution as one of his methods? Science and God are not enemies like people on here think.

Sure evolution is not proven, and there are some flaws in the theory, however there is a pretty decent amount of evidence that supports it. Maybe we will find another theory late? But right now it's the best we have.

One thing I will say though is that I find atheists to be humorous when it comes to evolution, and science in general. Many of them treat it like a religion, which is odd because they say they don't have one, but yet they sure are preachy when it comes to evolution, many believe in it blindly.

Here's the real kicker though ; atheists are not doing these studies, they are not researching these things themselves, they are taking what they hear about it on faith. The truth is that it takes a whole lot of faith to believe in no God. More faith in fact than it takes to believe in God. Atheism is not a lack of belief, it is a belief that there is nothing.
Do you believe everything in Genesis happened? If you do, then it contradicts evolution. If you don't then how can you pick and choose what you believe and call it Christianity?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I wonder if the people who believe that Santa flies around the world and delivers toys to children, or that the Tooth Fairy leaves rewards for kids when their baby teeth fall out, think that those who are skeptical are rude and condescending?
You do realize that comparing the Tooth Fairy to God is being condescending, right? Every time these debates happen, people compare religion to Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or Fairy Tales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
His whole basis is on a fairy tale. You cannot argue with crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
Anyone who argues against the compendium of human knowledge in lieu of a fairytale written by bronze age fishermen is beyond delusional.
essentially saying people who believe in God are either as simple-minded as children or flat-out idiots. This position instantly invalidates anything else that person is going to say because they don't want to have a serious discussion, but rather just want to sling insults and bask in their perceived intellectual superiority, much like the army of 14-year-old Atheists on Reddit who think they're better, smarter or more advanced than everyone else.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
You do realize that comparing the Tooth Fairy to God is being condescending, right? Every time these debates happen, people compare religion to Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or Fairy Tales...

essentially saying people who believe in God are either as simple-minded as children or flat-out idiots. This position instantly invalidates anything else that person is going to say because they don't want to have a serious discussion, but rather just want to sling insults and bask in their perceived intellectual superiority, much like the army of 14-year-old Atheists on Reddit who think they're better, smarter or more advanced than everyone else.
I agree. It's very disappointing that many atheists (who claim to be intelligent) can not find a better debating style.

The only rationalization I can come up with is that their insecurity and uncertainty makes them defensive.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Well, that's - wrong, or something? What's your point in bringing it up? The ToE doesn't address the price of rice in China, either. So what? I'm kinda baffled as to what point you feel you're making.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
The rage and nastiness comes up because you continue to promote an issue that none of us necessarily disagree
Blatantly false. There have been many nasty posts disagreeing quite vehemently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies