Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,949,847 times

Advertisements

I agree with the OP. While I do believe that service to the country is a fine and noble act, that in and of itself does not a hero make. We live in an age where professional athletes are classified as heroes. They are not only not heroes but they aren't for the most part even good role models for our youth. The firemen that went up into the burning towers to try to save the victims trapped inside were truly heroes. Those trapped inside were victims but not heroes. It's time we take a long hard look at how we define what a hero truly is. A hero is someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty and willingly puts his comrades ahead of himself. Most true heroes don't survive to receive the recognition they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 PM

39,331 posts, read 27,714,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker;33349360 [B
The firemen that went up into the burning towers to try to save the victims trapped inside were truly heroes. Those trapped inside were victims but not heroes.[/b]
I think you concentrate too much on the outcome, and choose to ignore the intention.

If both firemen (one trapped inside, one went up into the burning tower) have tried their darnest to save others, both of them are true heroes. Are they not?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think you concentrate too much on the outcome, and choose to ignore the intention.

If both firemen (one trapped inside, one went up into the burning tower) have tried their darnest to save others, both of them are true heroes. Are they not?
I wasn't referring to the fireman as being the victims. I was referring to the people who were working inside the towers when the planes struck as being victims and not heroes.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I wasn't referring to the fireman as being the victims. I was referring to the people who were working inside the towers when the planes struck as being victims and not heroes.
Nobody said victims were heroes in the first place. Not sure what point you were trying to make by bringing up the people trapped in the tower.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Nobody said victims were heroes in the first place. Not sure what point you were trying to make by bringing up the people trapped in the tower.
Not sure why I should take the time to spell this out for you, but many people at the time considered those trapped inside as heroes. Just stating that they were not heroes, but rather victims.. I think you are just trying to pick a fight but can't quite figure out how... Let me know if you come up with something..

Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Not sure why I should take the time to spell this out for you, but many people at the time considered those trapped inside as heroes. Just stating that they were not heroes, but rather victims.. I think you are just trying to pick a fight but can't quite figure out how... Let me know if you come up with something..
I am not interested in fighting with you. I was just looking for a clarification because I don't recall anybody have ever said "those who trapped in the towers are true heroes."

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I am not interested in fighting with you. I was just looking for a clarification because I don't recall anybody have ever said "those who trapped in the towers are true heroes."

Thanks for the clarification.
You are quite welcome.. Yes, at the time there were actual journalists stating that those trapped in the towers were heroes.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM

712 posts, read 1,368,352 times
Quote:
Well said, it seems however that the media loves using the word Hero for everything.

What's next, when we see a man break a $5 bill and give someone quarters should we call him a hero too??

Or how about we call police officers heros when they pull over people for no reason at all!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:43 PM

5,369 posts, read 5,170,440 times
A lot of people are in uniform because they would like to be considered heros.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 AM

712 posts, read 1,368,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
A lot of people are in uniform because they would like to be considered heros.
Exactly, and its spoon fed to us from the very beginning when we are kids watching TV.

Cops & Robbers
Cowboys & Indians
GI Joe vs Cobra

The so called "good guy in a uniform" is automatically a "Hero" (no matter what) so kids grow up and get a false understanding of what a true hero is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies