Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Thank God we have brave kids like you willing to step up and end the military draft.

In the infamous words of Sgt. Hulka...

"Son, there ain't no draft no more."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:04 AM

128 posts, read 122,931 times
So Christians can only be ideologically conservative? You know some Christians still find discussing religion and politics in the same discussion kind of offensive, and don't insist on using their frustrations of backing an antiquated political platform as a means of proselytizing.

Just because the political party you may have supported is going the way of the dinosaur, doesn't mean Christianity is dead.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Don't bet on it. Society progresses and nothing is more anti-progressive than religion.

"Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 AM

510 posts, read 430,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Agreed. Everyone my age is either "socially liberal, economically liberal" (which is usually termed "Liberal") or "socially liberal, economically conservative" (which is usually termed "Libertarian").
I'll bet that nobody your age is married with children either, which is typically the arrangement that kicks normal people towards becoming more economically/socially conservative.

Of course young singles are libertarian or liberal, it's always been that way.

The next step for your generation is marrying and having children and becoming political adults, or gradually dying demographically and getting replaced by people who still do these things.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Everyone my age is either "socially liberal, economically liberal" (which is usually termed "Liberal") or "socially liberal, economically conservative" (which is usually termed "Libertarian").

Liberals have taken to rebranding themselves once again.

Today, they call themselves libertarians in hopes of distancing themselves from the spectacular decades-long failures of left-wing ideology (see Detroit).

In claiming this new moniker, they hope to bastardize the term "libertarian" to mean liberal in the sense that personal accountability is separated from personal freedom.

Of course the term libertarian has always meant the fusion of personal responsibility with individual liberty since failing to respect the freedom of others through irresponsible behavior and dependency is antithetical to libertarian core values.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 AM

650 posts, read 514,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Today, they call themselves libertarians in hopes of distancing themselves from the spectacular decades-long failures of left-wing ideology (see Detroit).

In claiming this new moniker, they hope to bastardize the term "libertarian" to mean liberal in the sense that personal accountability is separated from personal freedom.

Of course the term libertarian has always meant the fusion of personal responsibility with individual liberty since failing to respect the freedom of others through irresponsible behavior and dependency is antithetical to libertarian core values.

good post, enjoyed reading,

Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Study: Americans Less Religious Than Ever Before - US News

Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Can you name a few?

Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
The Christian Right is dead. I'm 24 and I don't know any people my age who would consider themselves part of the Christian Right, despite the fact that I grew up in the most conservative environment ever (gated community, private Christian school, Presbyterian church) and still keep in touch with people from my childhood. Libertarianism is in, Christian Conservatism is out. I hate to disappoint my parents' generation, but the truth is that my generation will probably end the War on Drugs, legalize gambling, raise our kids on secular principles, lower the drinking age, end the military draft, etc.
Many mainstream Republicans are turning away from Christianity in an attempt to pander votes from gays and drug users.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

Both parties are doing it. Liberals want to be libertarians because libertarians are very liberal on social issues, and republicans want to be libertarians also because they are social liberals and because libertarians claim to be fiscally conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies