Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times

Advertisements

[youtube]
=nr4ab0Ra1Xs[youtube]

I love this song though.........and she is smokin'.......

Why she didn't blow up like Hooty, I don't know.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Default Why is country music generally limited to Republicans?

It tickles their amygdalas.

With everyone else, it inflames the amygdalas.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
So am I ......and don't like it either...........I like R&B (the old stuff) and Funk and New Jack Swing and Jazz.............

And those artists are libs.......
From the political libertarian, personal conservative stance, I am no fan of country. Not sure why it has never been my cup of tea, but it hasn't. Key, tempo, drama? Not sure. Besides certain guitarists, and Johnny Cash singing some pretty dark and depressing acoustic blues, I just never got into the genre. It's like modern rap. I just don't get it, never have, never will. Not that I don't like R&B, I just don't gel with the rap or hiphop sub-genre, but I love funk, like George Clinton and Sly Stone et al.

I could give two hoots about the politics of the performers I like or don't like. Good example is Joan Jett. I have been into little Joanie Larkin since The Runaways, and I have never, ever been a fan of her political side.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Most of the artists below are just one step removed from craptastic rock bands like Nickleback...
Yeah, rock music has pretty much sucked, minus a few exceptions here and there, since the early 90s. Nickelback is one of those bands of the last 15 years that sounds like two dozen other bands that you can't tell apart.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
From the political libertarian, personal conservative stance, I am no fan of country. Not sure why it has never been my cup of tea, but it hasn't. Key, tempo, drama? Not sure. Besides certain guitarists, and Johnny Cash singing some pretty dark and depressing acoustic blues, I just never got into the genre. It's like modern rap. I just don't get it, never have, never will. Not that I don't like R&B, I just don't gel with the rap or hiphop sub-genre, but I love funk, like George Clinton and Sly Stone et al.

I could give two hoots about the politics of the performers I like or don't like. Good example is Joan Jett. I have been into little Joanie Larkin since The Runaways, and I have never, ever been a fan of her political side.

You sound a bit like me. All though I'm OK with Johnny Cash! Not a fan of the most of the new rap either (2008 and beyond). I think that if I was still DJing in the club scene today and having to play most of today's top 40, and rap that my head would explode. That's not to say that I don't like any of it. For example I do like Eminem's song "Bezerk", as I love the sampling of Billy Squire's "Stroke". Anyway, I can pretty much find a song from any genre and from any era that I like, if it sounds right. What is funny is my 10 year old boy is the same. He likes a lot of the stuff my wife and I like. Nothing wrong with being diverse in music.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
Current country music is pretty awful compared to previous decades, but it's been the most listened-to radio format out there for over 22 years.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Not many country songs with lyrics about shooting cops, glamorize crime and drugs or are disrespectful towards women.
I killed a man in Reno just to watch him die.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
I would be ashamed to call myself a Republican, but I do like country music.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...most of what passes for "country" is just pop music with enough twang to put on the country charts. Dress the singer up in the proper western gear and you've got yourself a country super star

That stuff is hokie and boring as hell anyway. It's got a backbeat from another planet. And half the themes are laughable. Even when they try to be insurgent or rebellious, it comes off as corny.

I was in a restaurant not too long ago and they were playing nothing but country tunes, and some dumb song comes on about "I'll keep my God, guns and money, and you can keep the change."

Boy...that's original. Straight from the nearest bumper sticker although I'm sure some lame country fan thinks it's a hoot of a protest song.

I don't see music as conservative or liberal, but Republicans can have all the ownership of country they want. Be my guest.

I'm far kinder to bluegrass for obvious reasons...but that's another topic.
You describe the crap that passes of as Country these days. Too me it all sounds like rap with a cowboy hat.

The traditional folk / Country / Blue grass is real, tells a story that's often rooted in rural America, has been around longer than I remember. It's all about history and geography ., and affairs of the heart.......interesting thoughts though ,American Country is more popular in Europe than in the US , by population, down under too , I often wondered why? Yes , I am a died in the wool Democrat., as were most blue collar people , even more so in the cities than country settings ......Show me someone who does not like Gordon Lightfoot , Jimmy Buffet, john Denver , Dolly Parton , Allan Jackson , George Jones , Ray Price, Tobby Kieth , and Nanci Griffith and I will show you who is a fool, blinded by a narrow culture with little tolerance and go through life with , blinders and ear plugs, or a hearing ade that's needed because hard rock put them there.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I love reggae. At home we have Dish Network which has the SiriusXM channels. In the event that we do a music mash up on Saturday night, and don't feel like playing DJ by playing songs from You Tube, I'll hit up the SiriusXM channels. I try to every once in a while sneak the reggae channel on (called The Joint), but my wife doesn't really like it much. I'm like "WTF we spent our honeymoon in the Bahamas and you loved it!" Plus when it's been as cold as it's been (especially this winter) it just takes you to that warmer place. Not to mention after a toke or two, it's quite soothing.
I love all kinds of music (including some country-I agree with Deezus' analysis of country music) but if I had to choose only one genre to listen to it might have to be reggae.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies