Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 AM

641 posts, read 2,371,192 times

Advertisements

Where all da moderates at. Y'all be too radical for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Don't believe every report you read, folks Because a Republican state, such as Oklahoma, has one of the highest rates of suicide and mental illness in the nation. So I wonder if the most of the top ten states for suicide and mental illness also happen to be conservative Republican states?
Utah is anathore very red state and has a suicide and anti-depressant-usage rate higher than the national average.

As somebody else said, self-reports are important. Alot of rightwing types have mental health problems, but they are in denial.

Another possibility is that people who know they are mentally ill in some way are more likely to choose to vote Democrat, because Republicans typicly have a poor record on mental health care. I believe this is a small factor, however, and the denial of Republicans is more likely to account for a large percentage of the problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
"Ignorance is bliss."

(I hope somebody else hasn't already said it, I don't have the time to go through 9 pages of threads!)

Old 12-04-2007, 07:08 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Ignorance is bliss."

(I hope somebody else hasn't already said it, I don't have the time to go through 9 pages of threads!)
Yes but you said it in a more direct manner.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Ignorance is bliss."

Don't worry about it. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I think the "self evaluation" aspect is the key there. I've asked plenty of crazy homeless people about their mental state and they said that they are in perfect mental health (and they also stated that the fire hydrant and invisible dragon concur).

Even an "official diagnosis" wouldn't mean much, since many nutcases refuse treatment (and make themselves worse) and would show up under such a study as "normal". It's kinda like saying you aren't an alcoholic because you don't go to meetings
That's how I feel on the thread about spanking.... "I got spanked, and I spanked my kids, and we're all greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaatttt!" And then I hear the way they argue with people, and the bitterness about humanity in their ideology and I scratch my head and say to myself, "so they think".

Old 12-08-2007, 05:29 AM

28,903 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
when you have firm opinions and mindsets.. its easy to stay the course... but if you make yourself actually understand issues and all the dynamics to form your opinions.. then of course there is a mental drain...
basically if you want to have a healthy mind.. go to church.. live in denial.. and ignore everything and everyone that talks about issues that question your beliefs.. that way your mental state stays in tact...
lol

sarcasm...
I agree with this post....I believe it is much easier to cave under pressure and give in, and stand there and not do anything, or allow crime, and just say, lets take the guns away...or allow liberal laws...because there are some people who cannot deal with confrontation....but I don't believe it is a mental health issue...I believe it more so has to do with how you were raised, your parents beliefs....what ever your parents believed was passed down,a nd some people fear thinking on their own, otherwise being untrue to their parents beliefs....

Just my 2 cents....

Old 12-08-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
That's how I feel on the thread about spanking.... "I got spanked, and I spanked my kids, and we're all greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaatttt!" And then I hear the way they argue with people, and the bitterness about humanity in their ideology and I scratch my head and say to myself, "so they think".
excuse me, but I am not bitter...love humanity, my parents, and also, people are people, they discuss issues to the best of their ability, but remember, please, when you back them into a corner, you leave no recourse...
and so, the beat goes on, that is life, you may not win a debate all the time, but we all may walk away a little better for the debate...what is more important...is it more important to win the debate or simply walk away and perhaps learn to view and accept people without insulting them...

Just my 2 cents...
Creme

Old 12-08-2007, 05:49 AM

I think people are people, regardless of their political choices...I don't believe you can choose a party and say, man...they are mentally ill.....some of them are, most of them are not, just like republicans....

I think the most dangerous kind of politic on one who is the extreme and refuses to bend, and actually believes their way is the only way....

I think it's mostly about sitting down and discussing issues as adults, without personal attacks against characters...or insults...which always seems to be the case...one insult begats another and another and in the end, nothing is one....but all is lost.

I also believe that some people always has to win an argument/debate at all costs and they will become insulting to deter the other person, or throw them off track of the main issue....and when that happens, you know they are loosing ground....

I believe, strongly, if there were other parties...an odd number of parties, it would end the war, between conservatives and liberals....I believe they are both crooked...and display bad politics and feel once we can all admit that, we will make headway.

If you look back in history, whenever a President and his cronies did badly, then everyone voted for the other party....and this election, I bet democrates will win....it always happens....people get sick of one party being in there, so they vote the other party in, out of despiration....but logically, I think, that is exactly the name of the game...

One thing I find rather confusing, lets say, I'm a republican....and the President makes a really bad mistake....because I am republican and I voted him in, I fear shouting out to the world, hey, this man did a bad thing, and that is exactly what fires the corruptness,

It will be interesting to see what happens this time....in my opinion, those who are running and have the money to back their campaigns, are to me, loosers...and those who do not have the money to campaign are placed on the back burner, and no one takes a look at them, although, I am finding this time, in listening, people are looking at the under dogs who don't have the money but seem to be talking from the heart.

I think, if people of this country would forget about which party and start voting for the candidate, we'd be in a much better position...I mean, if you really really think about it, isn't it all quit insane...I mean, if you really look at the bigger picture?

Is it about mental incompetence, I don't think it is...I think it is first and foremost, about
1. Individualists
2. Financial Gain
3. Winning at all costs
4. and then comes concern for the people and the problems of this country...

To clarify, I became very tired of changing my party every 4 or 8 years, so I'm a registered Independent.

Now, for example, you talk about the games they all play....people said they wanted a fence along the boarders, so Bush started building a fence...and very small fence, that was never completed....but he never ever discussed immigration reform...

His gain was the huge corporations and working for them, they are in fact the real people who run this country....and if you've ever worked for large corporations you see it....you know...

and they only care about putting more money in their pockets...if they didn't they wouldn't be outsorcing all our jobs and selling off the people of this country for cheaper labor, verses quality.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:38 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Cremebrulee> very good post.
Looking at the bigger picture is exactly correct. I also believe both parties are corrupt.
Time to start over. Maybe "the peoples party"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies