Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times

Advertisements

Horror as family of four among six killed in 'drunk driver wrong-way pileup' on California highway | Mail Online

These are identical incidents. Both were drunk, both killed multiple people.

If you guys remember, affluenza white boy is spending his time at a retreat in California trying to reach his inner self or something like that for an indefinite period of time.

I don't think you'll see the same outcome with this minority(can't tell if she's hispanic or black)

The question is do you think she should go away for 20 like the white boy in Texas should have?

If we have equal justice, this girl should be let off like the white kid in Texas though.

If it was up to me, I'd rescind that white boy's ruling in TX and put him away for 20 years, same with this girl in Cali, but what I say doesn't matter since I'm not a judge and the ruling is final.

The question is this. Should the minority receive the same punishment that the white boy in Texas did, or should she go away for 20 years, which I would've done if I was the judge in either case.

If she gets the same sentence, it proves the justice system is a joke. If she gets 20 years, it proves the justice system is racist.

Lose, lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Justice is supposed to be blind-IE who you are class wise is not supposed to influence the sentence. Thats the theory.

Reality is of course VASTLY different. Having money makes a ton of difference within the justice system.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Justice is supposed to be blind-IE who you are class wise is not supposed to influence the sentence. Thats the theory.

Reality is of course VASTLY different. Having money makes a ton of difference within the justice system.
Money has ALWAYS been the deciding factor in any justice system even going back to 5,000BC.

Pick any country on the face of the Earth where money does not influence a country's judiciary...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Nobody here supported letting the first guy off with a slap on the wrist.

I support ending the judges ability to make such asinine rulings. We can't change it now but we can change judges.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times
The only rational I could see for the judge's ruling was that by making the kid a " victim of affluenza" they could find the parents liable for negligence in his upbringing and then they could be sued by the victims. Putting a punk kid in jail for 10 years won't bring back the dead or ease the financial hardships of the injured and their families. Maybe she was influenced by the families wealth and gave him a light sentence, maybe she was bought off, maybe she was blackmailed. It was a rotten decision all around, unless the kids parents end up losing millions of dollars in lawsuits. My opinions of judges isn't that high in general, but some are good.
The drivers made a mistake and people died as a result. Throw the book at them. I don't think there's any possible financial incentive not to.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Horror as family of four among six killed in 'drunk driver wrong-way pileup' on California highway | Mail Online

These are identical incidents. Both were drunk, both killed multiple people.

If you guys remember, affluenza white boy is spending his time at a retreat in California trying to reach his inner self or something like that for an indefinite period of time.

I don't think you'll see the same outcome with this minority(can't tell if she's hispanic or black)

The question is do you think she should go away for 20 like the white boy in Texas should have?

If we have equal justice, this girl should be let off like the white kid in Texas though.

If it was up to me, I'd rescind that white boy's ruling in TX and put him away for 20 years, same with this girl in Cali, but what I say doesn't matter since I'm not a judge and the ruling is final.

The question is this. Should the minority receive the same punishment that the white boy in Texas did, or should she go away for 20 years, which I would've done if I was the judge in either case.

If she gets the same sentence, it proves the justice system is a joke. If she gets 20 years, it proves the justice system is racist.

Lose, lose.

Honestly you can't look at "the system." Unless at the federal level, the criminal justice "system" in California is not the "system" in Texas, which is not the "system" in Louisiana, Illinois, Ohio, etc.

Every judge is different, and every case has different circumstances that go into sentencing. Money and quality of defense representation is also a big factor, as this kid obviously had a really good and imaginative lawyer that was able to come up with an expert witness to come up with some BS theory that this judge bought. I'm pretty sure "affluenza" wouldn't fly in my neck of the woods.

Case in point: A million(billion?)aire Polo mogul who drank and drove his Bentley and killed a 20 something. Guy was sentenced, presently on appeal but he's not getting off. He also had to pay 40 million to the family of the dead guy.

Finally, in terms of justice meted out, the families of the victims of the rich kid will at least be made whole financially. Whereas the California case (assuming the perpetrator is not of similar means) will not be able to compensate the families of the victims.

Unfortunately, outside of making all crimes mandatory sentencing guidelines (which most minority advocates do not agree with), there simply is not many other ways to remove discretion at the judge-sentencing level. That's kind of their job description.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Money has ALWAYS been the deciding factor in any justice system even going back to 5,000BC.

Pick any country on the face of the Earth where money does not influence a country's judiciary...
Bingo.... It's not about the race, it's about the influence and special treatment that money can buy.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
if she gets 20 years, it proves the justice system is racist.
lol.

so we should compound the mistakes in order not to appear 'racist.'

great googly-moogly.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
i can't figure out what you're talking about.

there's two crashes in that article -- one in California (caused by a black/mixed-looking girl who is still alive)

and one in Florida (driver is dead, don't know what race he/she was.)

you're using this article as a springboard to talk about ... some white guy in Texas? Are we supposed to know who this is? Because it isn't in the article you just linked to...

and even IF you had posted this in a way that made sense, what makes you think 3 states in totally different parts of the country are supposed to prosecute people the same way for the same crimes? If there's some inconsistency between them, why do you jump on "race" instead of the fact that they are different states with different laws.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
le roi, this is the case she's referring to.

Texas teen in "affluenza" case gets rehab for driving drunk, killing 4 - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies