Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
do most Brits understand that the UK, USA, Canada, NZ, and Australia are all complicit in this big espionage scheme?

Five Eyes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes we do understand, but that's down to GCHQ in Cheltenham which works with other nations, show me an equivalent GCHQ base in America to the NSA base at Menwith Hill or any foreign military or spy bases bases in the US full stop. Would the US be happy to host foreign bases with little US Government oversight????

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi
so you don't see the russian federation as a military threat?
No I don't the Russia Federation has a population of 143 million predicted to fall to 100 million by the end of the century, it currently spends $90 billion on Defence compared to $120 Billion spent by the UK and France combined, whilst the EU with a combned population of 510 billion spends $274 billion on Defence, more than China and Russia combined.

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Population Pyramid of Russian Federation

Last edited by Bamford; 02-11-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:06 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Why are they still here and who are they defending us from????
I agree somewhat. Most Libertarians want all foreign bases closed and the troops sent to cover our borders. This will never happen because all those aliens mean votes for the Dems, and cheap labor for the Reps.

I'd like to see our foreign footprint cut in half gradually. If we were to close all bases (at once) there would definitely be major problems as invaders and terrorists would fill the vacuum. We are the world's greatest deterrent, or at least we were until recently.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
I agree somewhat. Most Libertarians want all foreign bases closed and the troops sent to cover our borders. This will never happen because all those aliens mean votes for the Dems, and cheap labor for the Reps.

I'd like to see our foreign footprint cut in half gradually. If we were to close all bases (at once) there would definitely be major problems as invaders and terrorists would fill the vacuum. We are the world's greatest deterrent, or at least we were until recently.
I think it's inevitable that US bases in Europe and the US will contract as the current round of US Defence cuts kicks in.

In terms of the long term need for US bases in Europe that is something Americans themselves are going to have to decide. Whilst at the new same time as US defence cuts there is a new emphasis in terms of US Defence commitments to Asia and the Chinese threat rather than Europe and the Russians.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Time to go. Put them on our borders.
Now, this I can agree with. However, just shutting it down won't work. Like it or not, the military is one of the largest social welfare programs EVER. I joined the Marine Corps, because I had no future in life. I figured I'd get 4 yrs of housing, food, and clothing and figure out what to do after that. Hundreds of guys I enlisted with were the same way. Same as now.

Those thousands of people, and what people do not look at, is if the military is downsized, what about the farmers, and the MILLIONS of support personnel (what shall they do?). Those people who have jobs, based upon the military, will no longer be employed and no longer have a job. Then what? Add that to the thousands of true military personnel who have lost their job. Right now, veterans are homeless and can't find a job.

Therefore, we need to find a solution to ALL of this, BEFORE we downsize anything.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The Poles want us in Poland. I say we go there and pull out of Germany.
Then the Poles should pay for every dime of our posting...including the salaries of soldiers.

Otherwise, screw them too. And that goes for every other nation where we have troops.

It's time to come home people...stop looking for reasons to hold onto the Cold War posture.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post

Foreign nations should repel or deter their own invaders and fight their own terrorism. We can't afford it any longer.

We can and should close all bases overseas in the morning.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Please recall this same thought came up after the Cold War. Peace Dividend indeed.

Guess what? The Balkans exploded and our EU friends begged us to intervene. Indeed the UN sent forces which sucked given how their rules of engagment were written, and they had to end up being rescued by NATO forces after the massacres of the summer of 1995.

In December US Troops in Europe deployed to Bosnia/Croatia and neighboring Hungary to enforce a peace--the operation itself is known as Operation Joint Endeaovr. Over 21,000 US troops alone were in Bosnia! They all came from forces that were already in Europe--much cheaper than sending from the US. We were in Bosnia for 9 years (not the one year Bill Clinton promised), then later in Kosovo. So running away from Europe and leaving them solely to represent NATO invites future failure. Something to think about.
If the Europeans know that we'll come in and save the day, they won't act.

We had no business in Bosnia. We should've forced the European powers to act alone in stopping that conflict. But no..we played the big dummy as usual and stepped into the void.

The only way to make it clear that they have to be solely responsible for their own security is to make ourselves unavailable by LEAVING. We can no longer afford to defend a continent as wealthy as Europe is.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
I say that we the USA stop being the worlds policeman of the planet and bring all of our troops home, including Afghanistan.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Why are they still here and who are they defending us from????
I saw this morning on the CBS Morning Show a feature about Ambassador Caroline Kennedy where they mentioned the issue of moving the US military bases within Japan (which the locals are not happy about). Why does the USA maintain military bases in Japan at this point?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I saw this morning on the CBS Morning Show a feature about Ambassador Caroline Kennedy where they mentioned the issue of moving the US military bases within Japan (which the locals are not happy about). Why does the USA maintain military bases in Japan at this point?
I am not sure why the US has bases in Japan, probably so the US can spy on China, I should imagine. Japan and China are currently in dispute over Senkaku/Diaoyu islands, although this doesn't really involve the US.

BBC News - Q&A: China-Japan islands row

It should also be noted that the US is expanding it's presence and bases in Australia and the Pacific Region in response to Chinese Military Growth in the region. There is now also to be 2,500 US Marines permanely based in Australia, to defend them from their mighty neighbours New Zealand no doubt.

BBC News - First contingent of 200 US Marines arrives in Darwin

Obama pledges U.S. military power in Pacific - CNN.com

Last edited by Bamford; 02-12-2014 at 06:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies