Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post

If people can't physically do the job without resorting to firearms, then they shouldn't be in the job in the first place.
Excellent point. Especially when dealing with life or death situations.

If your scared go to church. Don't become a Police officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Can't blame him I guess... he didn't have a 'choice'.

'
Bryon Vassey entered the home of a family who called 911 for medical help after their schizophrenic child had an episode.

Rather than helping officers de-escalate the situation, Vassey is reported to have said “We don’t have time for this.”

Moments later he opened fire and executed the young boy, killing him as his parents screamed in shock.

Now, Vassey’s attorney is saying the officer “had no choice” but to shoot the child.

Cop ?Had No Choice? to Shoot and Kill Mentally Ill Child Because He Left His Taser Home?
That's a half-assed story if I ever read one. How many other officers were there and why was a detective called to the scene? Why was the other officer's life in danger? What exactly was the kid doing? I know someone who has had a lot of schizophrenic episodes but no one's life was ever in danger. I assume the grand jury heard the whole thing to come to their conclusion but the person that reported the story looks like they're biased or hiding something when they leave out the facts, true or not true.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
"And usually there is about four-six orderlies who tend to be former NFL linebackers or other huge people who were trained to deal with such matters. Notice I said four-six that is for one person mininum. Often you see ten or twenty called to deal with a single person."

REALLY???
Exactly how much time have you spent on psych wards?
I spent a LOT of time in them back then.
Exactly how often have you tried to restrain a mentally ill person?
I did it frequently back then.
Have you ever seen a mob attempt to accomplish anything? There are very few places to hold on to a struggling person. More than 5 people would be totally useless, and in fact would get in each other's way.

sorry, but IMO, based on personal experience, 3 adults should be able to restrain a mentally ill teenager. If they can NOT do so, they are in the wrong line of work, and should become dairy barn cleaners.
Then again, shoveling manure might be beyond their capabilities, too. even with the latest automated gutter cleaning systems

Old 02-19-2014, 01:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Do you know the size of the child being discussed?

Also. What about other professionals who deal with the mentally ill?
Yes I do, I read the article. I got news for you, 100 lbs+weapon is FAR more dangerous then 200lbs without. Weapons are the great equalizers.

The other professionals that deal with the mentally ill? Yeah let me tell you about them-they usually don't deal with them armed with anything, and when they do they often call the cops.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:35 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,226,123 times
I agree. But you left out "shot"!

This kid was "armed" with an electronics screwdriver! For anybody that doesn't know, that screwdriver was about the size of a 3" long finishing nail! In other words, TINY! It takes a real coward to kill a restrained kid armed with a finishing nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I wonder if the cop would be thinking any differently if the parents shot the cop because they had no other choice?

cops like this need to be fired, imprisoned and sued.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:

If people can't physically do the job without resorting to firearms, then they shouldn't be in the job in the first place.
That's stupid. There are many things people can't handle by brut force or razzle dazzle. Apparently that's why so many citizens own guns.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:04 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's stupid. There are many things people can't handle by brut force or razzle dazzle. Apparently that's why so many citizens own guns.
I live in a country where the vast majority of the police continue to patrol unarmed and deal with most situations without reverting to firearms. The police in the US seem increasingly ready to use firearms even when they could deal with the situation by other means.

Indeed even here in the UK the police are a lot more precious than they used to be, although they will still get involved in a hand to hand fight if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Here is one example. "Before the war" is often cited as the current golden age when people may have been poor but they didn't thieve and the public was orderly. Sir Robert Mark, Met commissioner and first media superstar cop, in his 1978 autobiography inadvertently reveals another picture of the rough and tumble of street life for a Manchester beat constable in the late 1930s.

He writes cheerily of "the odd brawl and punch-up" when patrolling the city centre at weekends in strength "because drunks frequently started fights and a good time was had by all". Jovially he recounts a "funny" story: "One Friday night an enormous navvy pushed the head of a constable through a shop window and started quite a battle in which uniformed and plain clothes men cheerfully joined in ... it grew to quite serious proportions, stopping the traffic ... the crowd was jeering and becoming unpleasantly restive." So what did he do? He took out his illegal rubber truncheon and gave the offender "a hefty whack on the shin", which broke his leg.

In court the prisoner with his leg in plaster was fined "the customary 10 shillings" for this routine Saturday night fight. But Mark's point is: "Far from there being any hard feelings he greeted me cheerfully and we went off for a drink together. Nowadays, of course, it would mean a complaint, an enquiry, papers to the director of public prosecutions. Not that I didn't deserve it, but times were different, thank goodness."

His nostalgia is for no-nonsense, no-bureaucracy policing, but what he reveals in passing is a world where drunken riot was frequent, and sensibility about what crime is serious was very different. If a villain put a policeman's head through a window now it would be a major crime with a long sentence, not a bit of a laugh and a small fine.

Polly Toynbee: Scared witless | UK news | The Guardian

Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
I live in a country where the vast majority of the police continue to patrol unarmed and deal with most situations without reverting to firearms. The police in the US seem increasingly ready to use firearms even when they could deal with the situation by other means.

Indeed even here in the UK the police are a lot more precious than they used to be, although they will still get involved in a hand to hand fight if need be.
If a policeman kills a civilian in this country, he has better have a good reason for doing so. We don't treat such things lightly here.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
If a policeman kills a civilian in this country, he has better have a good reason for doing so. We don't treat such things lightly here.
We have a very different system to the US, for a start in terms of serious allegations leveled against police officers, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) inestigates rather then the Police themselves. The IPCC is also having it's budget and staffing nearly doubled in the next few years and will also be given new powers and an extended remit, as well as taking on more police complaints work.

BBC News - Police watchdog may 'double' staff to investigate complaints

About us | Independent Police Complaints Commission

Allowing the Police to investigate themselves has never worked.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
A different take from a REAL newspaper.

"Shortly after Vassey arrived at Vidal’s President Drive home, Vidal was stunned with a Taser by Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Samantha Lewis, Payne said. Payne said Boiling Spring Lakes Police Officer John Thomas charged Vidal, who was holding a pick. Vidal made an initial stabbing motion toward Thomas, but the strike attempt was blocked, Payne said. Thomas’ head and neck area was unprotected when Vidal made another motion toward the officer with the pick.
Vassey asked that Vidal be stunned again, but Lewis’ Taser malfunctioned, Payne said. That is when Vassey fired his gun."

"Payne said Thomas was wearing a body microphone during the incident. Moments after the shooting, as paramedics rushed into the house, Vassey turned to Thomas and said, “I had no choice,” Payne said.
Thomas responded, “I know, I know,” Payne said.
That same body microphone did not pick up Vassey saying “We don’t have time for this, Tase him” as Vidal’s family members allege, Payne said.

Search | BrunswickBeacon.com
It will be ruled as justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies