Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 03:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
As I remember the original story, the first two officers were on the floor fighting the kid, the kid was stabbing one officer with a screwdriver, the third officer shot the kid. It turned out the officer being stabbed was wearing a vest. The facts are that the parents had called the police because the kid had a weapon was violent and out of control and in this type of situation anything could happen. Police officers are human, they have to make split second decisions which can lead to someones injury or death, they don't just shoot someone and blow it off like it was no big deal.
I don't remember reading about any officers getting stabbed. I also thought I read (again, assumptions, gotta go back and research this one) where one of the officers was not in support of the 3rd officer shooting the kid. I was under the impression he was pretty much restrained by the time officer arrived.

I forget the kid's age, but he was a pretty small kid 5'2" 110lbs?? and he had schizophrenia.

It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it. There's way too many people being killed at the hands of the Police. I don't think the parents would be putting up such a fight if they felt the shooting was justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't remember reading about any officers getting stabbed. I also thought I read (again, assumptions, gotta go back and research this one) where one of the officers was not in support of the 3rd officer shooting the kid. I was under the impression he was pretty much restrained by the time officer arrived.

I forget the kid's age, but he was a pretty small kid 5'2" 110lbs?? and he had schizophrenia.

It's a tragedy no matter how you look at it. There's way too many people being killed at the hands of the Police. I don't think the parents would be putting up such a fight if they felt the shooting was justified.
Yeah, you know those skinny schizo kids with screwdrivers deserve to be murdered.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,693 times
When did the police start relying on tasers and guns, they used to just generally restrain people with their hands not so long ago.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
They've been killing people here in the US for a long time. Particularly minorities. In some communities there's been a longstanding mistrust of the Police.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Someone called them right? Because the situation was dangerous and out of control? Once you reach that point there is no way to guarantee a pretty outcome.

I can't comment on this story any more because I wasn't there and it's he said/she said at this point. The recording is telling and backs up the officers however. I can only imagine how upset the family must be and yet the family could not control this individual, it seems like there was going to be an unhappy ending somewhere for someone regardless.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:07 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
They've been killing people here in the US for a long time. Particularly minorities. In some communities there's been a longstanding mistrust of the Police.
I am not familiar with this case, but in all honesty calling the police should be seriously assessed. Far too many people ending up harmed and dead over insignificant issues. They end up with the large bills and their only recourse usually is a lawsuit in the same county or city employing the officer. Officers are rarely held accountable.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
When did the police start relying on tasers and guns, they used to just generally restrain people with their hands not so long ago.

They have been Israeli trained and militarized. Big bucks are spent on towers, lrad, processing vehicles etc.... Many places a group of trained, armed men feel the need to put a child down.

Moment police choke a 14-year-old with puppy after he gave ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ZnzrlHGzI

Here's another sick one. Was even ruled a homicide. As far as I know nothing ever was done.
Death In The Devil's Chair: Florida Man's Pepper Spray Death ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILEmYeX7eHQ

Last edited by CDusr; 02-18-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 02:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Someone called them right? Because the situation was dangerous and out of control? Once you reach that point there is no way to guarantee a pretty outcome.

I can't comment on this story any more because I wasn't there and it's he said/she said at this point. The recording is telling and backs up the officers however. I can only imagine how upset the family must be and yet the family could not control this individual, it seems like there was going to be an unhappy ending somewhere for someone regardless.
Right. If the parents were in fear for their lives why shouldn't anyone else??

Old 02-18-2014, 09:21 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's a tragedy, but the cops' responsibility is to protect themselves first and foremost. Nobody really understands what it's like to be around someone with a severe mental illness like schizophrenia until they actually are. Schizophrenia is devastating without reason to the person suffering from it, their family, and society in general. The very nature of the disorder makes it impossible to leave the trust on the sufferer to take their meds and stay in their right mind.
" Nobody really understands what it's like..."
Sorry, I must disagree. I had to deal with a woman who was schizo and suicidal for many years, until it got to the point where it was shoot her or leave her. I left.
While dealing with this situation, I met many other people who were dealing with similar or identical situations. There are a LOT of us in the world!
As for the situation described, do you really expect all of us to believe that THREE cops, supposedly physically fit, could not subdue one teenage boy without the use of deadly force? I saw TWO orderlies subdue and control my ex without any trouble at all!
NO, sorry again, but the cop was, IMO, simply WRONG!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
" Nobody really understands what it's like..."
Sorry, I must disagree. I had to deal with a woman who was schizo and suicidal for many years, until it got to the point where it was shoot her or leave her. I left.
While dealing with this situation, I met many other people who were dealing with similar or identical situations. There are a LOT of us in the world!
As for the situation described, do you really expect all of us to believe that THREE cops, supposedly physically fit, could not subdue one teenage boy without the use of deadly force? I saw TWO orderlies subdue and control my ex without any trouble at all!
NO, sorry again, but the cop was, IMO, simply WRONG!
Sorry but why exactly should a cop lose his life if some kids trying to kill them? And yes I CAN believe that 3 cops could have a problem with a teenager thats lost his mind. Its a LOT easier when they dont have a weapon.

Was the cop wrong? Maybe. Was he right? Maybe. And thats the problem. This is not clear cut. And when it gets grey like that and the distribution of the results is going to vary.

Yes we have bad cops, but im not seeing anything here that screams bad cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies