Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,592,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe you could point out an incident in Arizona where a gay was refused service for religious reasons. I'll wait... ... ... ...
The law is not in force yet.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm still waiting... This is, in fact, one of the criticisms of the law: it seeks to fix a condition - protecting those who use religion to refuse service to gays - that has not happened in anyone's recent memory. It's not like AZ business people are asking for this law. To the contrary, all the business groups including Chambers of Commerce are urging a veto.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,046,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's mature.
It sure is. More mature than listening to a 70 something year old man talk like a fairy. Ive heard the guy on the radio, he's annoying as they get with his flamboyancy.

You want to act and talk like that, do it all you want. But you deserve to be mocked for doing so.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:26 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,043,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Upset over nothing? Try upset over a state bill that is attempting to violate the Constitution. All it will do is make more money for lawyers as it gets struck down as unconstitutional.
Religious Rights are protected under the Constitution last time I checked.

If a business says '' no Gays allowed '' that would be discrimination from the business. If a Gay couple says '' bake me a cake for my Gay wedding/Ceremony, I don't care if it violates your religion, do it or I'll sue you ' ' that would be discrimination by the Gay couple.

And believe me, that very scenario happened, I think in Oregon, where lesbians managed to cause a Christian bakery to close for not baking a cake for their wedding. That's why these bills are being introduced and passed, if gay people respected the beliefs of religious people these bills would not have to be made. But because they don't these bills are necessary.

This bill is simply protecting the religious rights of those business owners. Religious Rights that are being attacked by gay activsts and their Liberal lap dogs. Under this bill, a business has to show its religious reasoning for refusing a service to a court and they review the case. It's not like businesses can just refuse gays all together.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,046,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Wow, there's that Republican tolerance I keep hearing about.
What's intolerant about it? I can be tolerant of other people, but it doesn't mean I dont have an opinion about them.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,894,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And how the hell are they going to be able to choose discrimination in the first place, if the homosexual won't reveal him or her self to them before they do business with them?
i dont know, but then its not my problem as i dont own a business. and if i did i wouldnt care if the people i did business with were gay, green, blue, from saturn, believed the devil was running the show, or what ever. my concerns would be;

1: do they pay their bills?

2: do they cause trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
How about IF THEY CHOOSE to not serve blacks or Jews or Latinos, etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
There is nothing wrong with that. If it is the business owners choosing to do so, then he should be able to exercise that freedom. After all, it is his own business. He shouldn't be dictated to serve people he doesn't want to do business with.
BR is right, the law allows businesses to reserve teh right to refuse service to ANYONE. it was put in the law so that a business could refuse to serve someone who was disruptive to the business. if you want to go into a business and cause trouble for the business, the people running the business can tell you to go away or risk arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
No it means the companies have the opportunity of segregation. They can be bigots if they want. It's a little different than Chik-fi-la which has religious background that is anti-gay, but they will still serve a gay person.

Not serving a person because of sexual orientation is horrible. Only close minded and narrow minded people think like this.

I find many people that can't handle the thought of people being gay are baby boomers. Bible thumpers who preach love thy neighbors (hypocrisy).
wrong, it means that business with religious objections to homosexuality can refuse to serve gays if they choose. its that simple. but again as i said before, virtually NOTHING will come of this as the vast majority of business owners are not going to refuse service to their customers, unless they are a disruptive influence.

Quote:
It is actually everybody's business. In fact, the world is watching this with horror. It is the opposite of freedom and totally an abuse of a person human rights.

Business owners who operate a business for the public DO NOT get to discriminate. Try putting up a " NO Blacks" sign in your local bakery and see what happens.

If this does indeed become law it will be more than a former TV actor boycotting Arizona. I know two people here in Canada who own property there and are talking about selling. How many tourist dollars will also be lost?

This idea is repugnant, morally wrong, bigoted and makes Arizona look extremely backwards.
wrong again, businesss owners CAN refuse to serve ANYONE they choose. they dont have to give a reason. the law allows that in every state as long as the business owner posts a proper sign that says, management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.

there are going to be business owners that take advantage of the law, if it passes and is signed into law, but they would be working against the best interests of their business as consumers have the right to refuse to patronize those businesses.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:28 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,118,704 times
Quote:
To be fair, Arizona's anti-discrimination in public accommodation law doesn't cover sexual orientation - even without this new law it's perfectly legal for businesses in (parts)* of Arizona to not serve gays

*(various Arizona cities do have anti-discrimination in public accommodation laws - this new state law would essentially invalidate them)

Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,592,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That's about it. That's how they think.

Maybe their gay flags and silly parades are coming home to roost. As I've said so many times: nobody cares if you're gay; just stay out of my face about it.

Yep! Don't ask, don't tell might be the best course of action.
Your post reeks of ignorance, hate, and some weird revenge thing.

Those " silly " parades bring in tons of money. They also exist because they were/are protest marches for civil rights.
If you've said " many times:nobody cares if you're gay; " then obviously you do. Why are you here posting then?

Are gay people in your face as much as Mexicans or Blacks? What about those Jews…they keep popping up the funniest places.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,331,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Reid View Post
He needs to realize that nobody is forbidding homosexuals from owning and operating their own floral shops, bakeries, photography studios, catering businesses, restaurants, clothing stores, churches, etc. in Arizona.

Separate but equal, eh?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 PM

5,664 posts, read 5,097,278 times
Quote:
You may be only able to be outraged at one thing at one time, but many have a broader scope. It's not an either or thing. Also it MORE than feelings being hurt…this is about prejudice, freedom of the person and legislating hate.
This is about promotion of the "anything goes no matter how freaky or disgusting" agenda. Prejudice against normal people, denial of freedom of the person to interact with whom they please, and legislating hatred on the part of a very vocal and overly-dramatic minority.

Personally, I'd like to be aware of businesses that find my patronage objectionable that I may take my money elsewhere. At present, I will not knowingly support certain businesses. If I object to the owner, why would I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies