Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there too many unnecessary laws and regulations in America?
Yes 56 84.85%
No 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times

Advertisements

The only poll answer that makes sense is "it depends." There are too many regulations in some places, but not enough in others. Need I remind everyone about that chemical spill in West Virginia with a chemical that we really didn't know what its effects were? Or that fertilizer explosion in Governor "no more regulations" Perry's state of Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Of course, just look at the tax code or Obamacare and some how try and justify having that many laws. That doesn't even account for all the regulations put into place by appointees, not even elected officials that rule out lives. We are anything but free in this country. We are nothing but serfs to the ruling class (the government).
The tax code creates a multi-million dollar accounting industry.

Taxation is not about revenue, it is about incentives.

The United States doesn't actually need revenue to operate.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Where's the "Are you kidding??? HELL YES" button?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
For example, the government with the stupid CFTC is making complicated for US traders to invest. On their minds, along with statists, it's illegal to trade in America. Sometimes the US government will shut down a broker.

Do you think there's too many unnecessary laws and regulations in this so-called free country?
Absolutely there are too many unnecessary laws and regulations.

You have to realize a good deal of them are put in place by people with business interest wanting to stifle or shut out others. It's good to see who profits from a regulation. Your CFTC example is silly, there are forces manipulating physical commodities.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Of course, just look at the tax code or Obamacare and some how try and justify having that many laws. That doesn't even account for all the regulations put into place by appointees, not even elected officials that rule out lives. We are anything but free in this country. We are nothing but serfs to the ruling class (the government).
We have never been "free". You far right wing folks just don't know the difference between having 13 million people vs 313 million in the same land area. Look back at the rules and regulations throughout American history, not just federal but local and state. The difference, which you folks can't seem to grasp, is that you used to be able to get away with a lot more because of the lack of population density and technology.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Unlike some, I do believe there should be some regulations. But it isn't hard to find ridiculous laws on the books. Some may have made sense years ago but are now obsolete. No surprise: many were passed to help certain industries. I especially don't like the sugar tariff which has destroyed the candy industry in the U.S. Some tax laws (some?) are ridiculous. Why does the horse breeding industry get better depreciation writeoffs than any other? And why can convicted murderers write off student expenses but not drug offenders? However I don't see much hope for eliminating dumb laws. Anyone remember when the tax law were rewritten in 1986? They became anything but simpler.
Everyone likes regulations when they benefit from them. US needs to find a better balance of regulations and reduce the redundancies between many different agencies operating at various levels.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Remember, every law and every regulation, is an infringement on your individual freedoms.
Removing choices is the goal to get you to pick just one.... Government.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
We have never been "free". You far right wing folks just don't know the difference between having 13 million people vs 313 million in the same land area. Look back at the rules and regulations throughout American history, not just federal but local and state. The difference, which you folks can't seem to grasp, is that you used to be able to get away with a lot more because of the lack of population density and technology.
You are so off base, i don't even know where to begin.

This nation did not start off with a 70k page tax code or the more recent 25k+ page Obamacare.

The rules governing this nation when it was founded were very simple, so simple that a regular person could understand them. Now, the people passing the laws, don't even read the bills they pass because they are so long. How many times did we hear "recently discovered portion of Obamacare" because no one even knew it was their.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You are so off base, i don't even know where to begin.

This nation did not start off with a 70k page tax code or the more recent 25k+ page Obamacare.

The rules governing this nation when it was founded were very simple, so simple that a regular person could understand them. Now, the people passing the laws, don't even read the bills they pass because they are so long. How many times did we hear "recently discovered portion of Obamacare" because no one even knew it was their.
Based off of what? Again, I told you not just think federally. Your ilk have this sweet apple pie view of our country's founding. Also, our way of life now is a much greater degree more complicated requiring more rules and regulation.

I've already made my views clear above about unnecessary regulation. I would love to cut them down.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Based off of what? Again, I told you not just think federally. Your ilk have this sweet apple pie view of our country's founding. Also, our way of life now is a much greater degree more complicated requiring more rules and regulation.

I've already made my views clear above about unnecessary regulation. I would love to cut them down.
I will be waiting for some sort of proof/link that shows we were just as heavily regulated in the late 1700's as we are today.

Life really isn't more complicated now, just the complications have shifted. In the past we had to worry about feeding ourselves, providing shelter for ourselves, trying not to freeze to death, surviving child birth, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies