Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Sounds reasonable. If I have to pay for your health insurance, then I should have a say for your health.
That was liberalism that forced everyone to pay for everyone else's health care in the first place.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Why are you scared of the IRS, have you been not paying your taxes lately?
Maybe because it's 20,000 pages of tax code, and odds are that everyone is guilty of violating some part of it?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Liberalism signifies the triumph of good intentions over good sense.

Conservatism, on the other hand, underlines humanity's dearth of metaphorical representations of virtue.
Meanwhile there is a dearth of virtue in the democratic party, with the completely unvirtuous leader running their party

Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
It is not the liberals that bother me as such but the progressives of any stripe. I can get along with a "live and let live" liberal, per se. What I find hard to tolerate is someone that for instance says " I don't like firearms (that's okay) and I am not going to own one (that's okay too) and I don't want YOU to have any either (that's NOT okay, especially when I am a law-biding, mature, mentally competent citizen). The gay/homosexual lobby. For instance they say "I'm Gay" (okay, go live your life and leave me alone. I don't agree with your lifestyle but that's something I have to deal with). But when they say "I'm gay, and in your face, and you better accept my lifestyle and celebrate it", that's when I draw the line. Get where I am coming from? Like the progressives that say "If you don't accept our line of thinking then you practice hate". Well you know what? By taking that line you're hippocrites because you want tolerance but you show no tolerance for opposing viewpoints. You're just as hateful and intolerant, if not more so, than I am.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Remembering back to my civics class in school liberals were considered in favor of
big government
big taxes,
big social programs,
Quick to change (Progressive)
Concepts of community rather than the individual.
Some interesting reading on the topic.
http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/cons...beral-beliefs/

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
It is not the liberals that bother me as such but the progressives of any stripe. I can get along with a "live and let live" liberal, per se. What I find hard to tolerate is someone that for instance says " I don't like firearms (that's okay) and I am not going to own one (that's okay too) and I don't want YOU to have any either (that's NOT okay, especially when I am a law-biding, mature, mentally competent citizen). The gay/homosexual lobby.

For instance they say "I'm Gay" (okay, go live your life and leave me alone. I don't agree with your lifestyle but that's something I have to deal with). But when they say "I'm gay, and in your face, and you better accept my lifestyle and celebrate it", that's when I draw the line. Get where I am coming from? Like the progressives that say "If you don't accept our line of thinking then you practice hate".

Well you know what? By taking that line you're hippocrites because you want tolerance but you show no tolerance for opposing viewpoints. You're just as hateful and intolerant, if not more so, than I am.
I get what you mean. I say live and let live as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or they don't demand I pay for it. About the in your face, it was like the time I ran into a girl I went to school with. The first thing out of her mouth was "I'm gay". I was taken back since we barely got Hello out. I didn't ask and don't need to know what they do behind closed doors. Why do they do that?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I get what you mean. I say live and let live as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or they don't demand I pay for it. About the in your face, it was like the time I ran into a girl I went to school with. The first thing out of her mouth was "I'm gay". I was taken back since we barely got Hello out. I didn't ask and don't need to know what they do behind closed doors. Why do they do that?
I dunno, lol.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
When the terms liberal, progressive, and conservative are used in the American sense, I am a mix of all three, like many people. I don't think many people are this or that only.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Define "just". Liberals don't want equal opportunity - they want equal outcome.
Just what I said. "Few Americans know what liberalism is. Wanting an equal outcome is in no way at all "Liberal". In fact, it is in no way logical, sane or realistic. A "just society" is one where each citizen is equal before "The Law". where equality of opportunity exists and of course what is sorely lacking in the USA and of paramount importance is where all people are treated equally in the criminal justice system.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:09 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What's the next step, demand all stores give out a sugary drink punch card, to track how many ounces we drink per day?
LOL, who knows what they'll dream up. Maybe blood test for sugar levels but not drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies