Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times

Advertisements

I'm opposed to any intervention by this administration anywhere.

That being said, I suspect the Americans fomented and engineered the coup in Ukraine,so the intervention already happrned. The blowback will cost Billions

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
This is what Maddow said "The decisions of our generation on national security are determined more than anything by what the George W. Bush administration did with that nine-year war in Iraq and, alongside it, a 13-year war in Afghanistan that’s still going on," she told Mitchell. "And the American people are against those wars."

“Those are the determinative constraints for our thinking about everything,” she continued, “from Crimea, to Syria, to what the overall size of the U.S. military is.”

People are getting tired of the continuous war footing and its starting to dawn on some people the actuall cost of these wars. Going into the Ukraine would not be very popular given the results we have seen from Iraq and Afghanistan. These two wars are easily going to cost one trillion dollars in VA benefits. The Defense budget is bloated. It costs taxpayers one million dollars a year for every single soldier in Afghanistan. Congress over the past 12 years has allowed pay and benefits to double in the military. I know a guy who left his $70,000 a year job so he could make more, a lot more going to Afghanistan. We have a gold plated military. Kind of reminds me of Rome where toward the end of the empire the Romans had to pay foreign armies in gold. Some people seem to forget we have a huge deficit. I have a suggestion raise taxes to support the military instead of putting everything on a credit card. Maddow is right in that Bush is the one that by going into Iraq and continuing the war in Afghanistan has soured people on getting involved anywhere in the world. History will probably show Obama continued the wars longer than they should have. Its too bad people had a short memory of Vietnam.

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
The language of the Budapest Memorandum is wishy washy in that regard, and intentionally so. We don't have to do anything.
There is nothing wishy washy about it , it clearly states what it is. I mean there really is no major threat right now but i do believe if Putin does strike first then he will or should feel the true wrath of our military.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
** sigh **
It never ends. The liberal left will continue to blame Bush for everything.
MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: George W. Bush Is to Blame for Crisis in Ukraine
I watched and did not walk away with the sensational headline in the title of this post.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the same thing "liberals" did when Bush was president. Why this is questioned or surprises anyone is the real question.

It's too bad that for far too many politics trumps principles.
Yeah, sure. Bush had 90% approval ratings and near universal support for military intervention in Afghanistan. Bush squandered that solidarity by being the single worst president in US history, not because liberals had it out for him.

Right-wingers are automatically reflexively opposed of anything our president does. It has been this way since DAY One. They don't even know why.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What, do you assume we mean Obama should be taking military action?
How else are people suppose to interpret the incessant rage and complaints from the right over what Obama is or isn't doing? All I see here is Obama isn't doing anything, all Obama is doing is talking, Obama is weak, etc.

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, sure. Bush had 90% approval ratings and near universal support for military intervention in Afghanistan. Bush squandered that solidarity by being the single worst president in US history, not because liberals had it out for him.

Right-wingers are automatically reflexively opposed of anything our president does. It has been this way since DAY One. They don't even know why.
Dunno what history you lived in or study but i will DISAGREE with you big time. I am not a huge fan of Bush's ideas but i wouldnt call him the worst.

2,821 posts, read 2,113,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What, do you assume we mean Obama should be taking military action?
That is my question, as well. Military action is not an option.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
This is what Maddow said "The decisions of our generation on national security are determined more than anything by what the George W. Bush administration did with that nine-year war in Iraq and, alongside it, a 13-year war in Afghanistan that’s still going on," she told Mitchell. "And the American people are against those wars."

“Those are the determinative constraints for our thinking about everything,” she continued, “from Crimea, to Syria, to what the overall size of the U.S. military is.”

People are getting tired of the continuous war footing and its starting to dawn on some people the actuall cost of these wars. Going into the Ukraine would not be very popular given the results we have seen from Iraq and Afghanistan. These two wars are easily going to cost one trillion dollars in VA benefits. The Defense budget is bloated. It costs taxpayers one million dollars a year for every single soldier in Afghanistan. Congress over the past 12 years has allowed pay and benefits to double in the military. I know a guy who left his $70,000 a year job so he could make more, a lot more going to Afghanistan. We have a gold plated military. Kind of reminds me of Rome where toward the end of the empire the Romans had to pay foreign armies in gold. Some people seem to forget we have a huge deficit. I have a suggestion raise taxes to support the military instead of putting everything on a credit card. Maddow is right in that Bush is the one that by going into Iraq and continuing the war in Afghanistan has soured people on getting involved anywhere in the world. History will probably show Obama continued the wars longer than they should have. Its too bad people had a short memory of Vietnam.
Who forgot? Certainly not conservatives. Are you castigating your own Democrats?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I watched and did not walk away with the sensational headline in the title of this post.
Of course you didn't. If it involves slobbering over Barack Obama, and a hatred of George W. Bush, you're on the rope line with your "Down With Bush, Up With Obama!" foam finger wagging in the air and clamoring to sign the latest Obama For Prez 2016! petition.

Trust me when I say none of us are surprised that you 1) Watch Maddow, and 2) Don't disagree with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies