Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:32 PM

577 posts, read 513,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You of all people should realize that pockets of boom are not indicative of the entire US.

Austin Tx is still the #1 city to move to and there are bidding wars going on for homes.
Yearly increase in values are in the double digits.

Does that mean every city is enjoying the RE bubble that is happening in Austin ?

So some cities, like Austin, are enjoying a good economy. So what is it that other cities need that Austin apparently has to enjoy the same type of growth and recovery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 01:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
So some cities, like Austin, are enjoying a good economy. So what is it that other cities need that Austin apparently has to enjoy the same type of growth and recovery?
Probably the top spot on Money Magazine's Hottest cities to live in.
Compton California was once on Money's top 10 cities list.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM

13,453 posts, read 9,978,156 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with "political points".
The weaker fish are always the first go to when the going gets tough.
And this is one tough economic climate in which to survive.
Going on 7 years now since the bottom began falling out in 2007.

It's not quantity but quality you need to look at.
What jobs are you losing and what new jobs are you creating.

A nation of service jobs is not going to lead us back to the "good old days".
What do you think jobs at Radio Shack are? And um, Staples? Hardly jobs for quantum physicists.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,546,382 times
Quote:
And the left are dismissing this with a wave of their hand saying they don't deserve to be in business.
Hypocrisy runs on both sides my friend.

A job is a job but it's only worthwhile if your side thinks so.
No, I think its terrible all these stores are closing, but this is the new normal, I've seen this evolution over the past 20 years at my present employer, where I'm extremely fortunate to enjoy some (relatively speaking) above average level of job security.

Quite honestly, corporations "downsizing" is the latest wave of ways to increase profitability. Doing more with less has become SOP for corporate America. The great recession of 2008 really is when this was ushered in as the new normal.

But the real reason these stores are closing is the rise of online retailers. And I honestly don't know who still shops at Radio Shack but I do know they sponsor a major American cycling team in the Tour de France so I really don't want this retail chain to fail. I'd support them if they sold anything I really wanted.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What do you think jobs at Radio Shack are? And um, Staples? Hardly jobs for quantum physicists.
What about JPMorgan (8000) or IBM (13,000 estimated) or Quantas (5000) ?
And those are all recent.

Each of those stores had 1 or 2 managers which are not your min wage burger flipper job.
They are also both laying off at their HQ offices which are higher paying white collar jobs.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 PM

13,453 posts, read 9,978,156 times
Quote:

Each of those stores had 1 or 2 managers which are not your min wage burger flipper job.
They are also both laying off at their HQ offices which are higher paying white collar jobs.
What about them? They're obviously not doing what they need to be doing to stay competitive - or, they just want to increase their profit margin for their shareholders.

And what does QANTAS have to do with Obama?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,312,271 times
Again, the financial state of Radio Shack has little to do with the economy, I wonder how many that have posted in this thread have even been IN a Radio Shack now AND in the past, Radio Shack has been on its deathbed since the mid 90's and the only thing keeping them alive is they turned into a CellPhone store, since there is loads of competition now people are no longer stuck buying their over-priced accessories for TVs and Cellphones.

I even still have the Shortwave radio I got from there, it was my first high priced purchase with my own job earned money when I was a teen.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:01 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
Quote:

As I said in an earlier post, big companies lay off people ALL THE TIME - even while they are often hiring other workers. Such is the case with IBM. IBM is refocusing it's business, getting out of areas that are not so profitable or face possible obsolences, while at the same time expanding in other areas. This happens ALL THE TIME - whether the economy is good or bad, whether a Democrat is President or a Republican is President.

"Out with the old, in with the new. That could be the motto for IBM these days.

Even as the company lays off thousands of people in various business units — it is hiring thousands of people for other, brand-new business units.

IBM has more than 3,000 job listings right now, even though as we previously reported, it is in the midst of a layoff that will cut a significant number of employees...

....IBM is positioning itself to lead in areas such as cloud, analytics and cognitive computing and investing in these priority areas. For example, already this year we have committed $1 billion to our new Watson unit and $1.2 billion to expand our cloud footprint around the world. In addition, just this week IBM announced a $1 billion investment in platform-as-a-service cloud capabilities, as well as investments in areas such as nanotechnology which will bring hundreds of new jobs to New York State. This also creates new job opportunities at IBM. At any given time, IBM has more than 3,000 job openings in these and other growth areas in the U.S...

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/in-the-midst-of-a-layoff-ibm-is-hiring-2014-3#ixzz2vPY7ddvj"

In the Midst Of A Layoff, IBM Is Hiring - Business Insider

Old 03-08-2014, 03:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,450,604 times
Crappy stores calling it quits. It's capitalism at its finest, brothers. Do you think Obama should offer them a bailout package or something?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,576,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Crappy stores calling it quits. It's capitalism at its finest, brothers. Do you think Obama should offer them a bailout package or something?
Capitalism works it's "problems" out! Radio Shack is just another 'Casuality".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies