Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 AM

4,762 posts, read 793,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They were very organized at the firehouse. They had bottled water for everyone and one of those large traffic notification signs with the orange lighted text that said "Everyone must check in". They were ready.
That also doesn't make sense. Most of the cops on duty that day had never dealt with a homicide before, as Newtown hadn't had one since 2002. How did it take them a mere half hour to prepare to handle the aftermath of a mass shooting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
Your last point is a good one, I didn't even think of it! I know, as a father, I would be so outraged if I were told I was forbidden from seeing my daughter's body. I'd put up such a fight to the point where I'd probably end up being carried off in handcuffs!

There is basic protocol about not contaminating a crime scene, but this usually involves not allowing bodies to be touched. Positive sight identification by next of kin is standard practice, and to forbid it is something I've never heard of.

I highly doubt any parents came to the firehouse carrying pictures of their children, yet I've read that the firehouse was where the parents of the victims were informed of their deaths. So this whole thing about identification by pictures doesn't make sense to me either.

What do you think of the first point I made? I know different people process their feelings differently, but if I were to face such a tragedy, the first thing that would stick out in my mind would be HOW I came to know of it ("the dreadful phone call from X"). Something had to prompt these parents to get in their cars and drive to Sandy Hook, in the middle of a Friday morning, but nobody has ever said what it was.
The entire response lacks proper protocol. EMS were told not to go inside of the school, that is was too late but that is against protocol. Police can not declare people dead. EMS would have had to transport victims to the hospital and if possible, attempts would have to be made to save them. They would not leave the bodies in the school overnight. Parents would not just go home knowing their child's dead body was still in the school. They would not set up Facebook fundraising pages (Parker family) before even knowing if their child was dead. They would not go out and get a tattoo in honor of their dead child the day after the shooting (Veronique Pozner). They wouldn't already be in the stage of "Acceptance" day or hours after the murders took place. Nothing makes sense about Sandy Hook.

Last edited by MissTerri; 03-16-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 AM

I've gone through all the documents released to the public on this case, as it's a fascinating one, and yet nothing leads to any clues at all about these questions.

Also, if the parents weren't allowed to claim the bodies due to fear of contaminating the crime scene, why was this even a concern to the police if the perpetrator was already dead and unable to be brought to justice?

Last edited by SteveC1024; 03-16-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I've gone through all the documents released to the public on this case, as it's a fascinating one, and yet nothing leads to any clues at all about these questions.

Also, if the parents weren't allowed to claim the bodies due to fear of contaminating the crime scene, why was this even a concern to the police if the perpetrator was already dead and unable to be brought to justice?

I don't believe that parents would ever be allowed to enter a crime scene, but they would have identified the bodies later on, either in the hospital or in the morgue. That did not happen in this case.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:06 AM

Here's another question: Ryan Lanza claimed to have not seen his brother Adam for years before the incident. How, then, did Adam end up carrying Ryan's ID at the time of the shooting? Nobody has ever asked this question to Ryan, and he has never confirmed that he allowed his brother to carry his ID. The DMV doesn't allow you to have two driver's licenses, and didn't Ryan need his own, just for practical purposes, if he lived over 100 miles away?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Here's another question: Ryan Lanza claimed to have not seen his brother Adam for years before the incident. How, then, did Adam end up carrying Ryan's ID at the time of the shooting? Nobody has ever asked this question to Ryan, and he has never confirmed that he allowed his brother to carry his ID. The DMV doesn't allow you to have two driver's licenses, and didn't Ryan need his own, just for practical purposes, if he lived over 100 miles away?

The press hasn't asked Ryan a single question since this shooting took place. He hasn't been photographed either, not even at his mother's funeral, where photographers were present.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Maybe Adam found an old driver's license that Ryan had left behind in the house. Seems quite plausible to me.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Maybe Adam found an old driver's license that Ryan had left behind in the house. Seems quite plausible to me.
This^^^^ Ryan probably misplaced his DL and had it replaced. Adam probably found it at some point and kept it.

As far as the people bringing pictures of their kids to the scene...how many people really don't have at least 1 pic of their child on their phone???

Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM

It's theoretically possible that Ryan left behind an old ID and replaced it, but doesn't seem very likely to me. It was allegedly a NJ license that Adam was carrying, which was the clue that led police to Ryan's home in NJ, where they arrested him and questioned him. How did Ryan end up leaving his NJ license at his old home in CT, if he hadn't been back there to visit in years?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:19 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
despite all the interviews published by the media of the victims' parents, there is one detail that is always missing: how were they notified of the incident? They always say that they "heard of the shooting", but never "I got a call from Officer X" or...
Maybe that wasn't the primary concern that day.
Connecticut Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting: Parent Interview | Video - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies