Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 AM

159 posts, read 169,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
I can't believe nobody else is shocked by the complete lack of a rescue response. Suppose a child was shot in the leg and unable to get up off the floor? How could any official not instruct EMS to go inside and help the survivors? They didn't know who was alive from who was dead before anyone went in.
I know. Thats why I'm surprised there are no lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 AM

4,762 posts, read 794,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
They were sent in to help after the school was secured as is protocol. Otherwise the EMS could be casualties if there were bombs or other booby traps set up by the shooter or if there was another shooter/accomplice. The Columbine shooters left behind them a number of devices that if they had functioned as intended would have killed hundreds of the police and EMS personal that had arrived at the scene.
Where were the victims pronounced dead? They certainly weren't pronounced dead on arrival at any hospital. I've researched into Connecticut law, which doesn't permit a law enforcement officer to pronounce anyone dead (naturally, they aren't medically qualified to do so). It is supposed to take place at a hospital or morgue. Where?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 AM

4,762 posts, read 794,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
I know. Thats why I'm surprised there are no lawsuits.
Yes, although I'm glad to know nobody has tried to hit a windfall at the expense of the Connecticut taxpayers.

What surprises me even further is the lack of a wide-scale response across the country involving implementation of greater security in schools. If this (alleged) incident did truly happen, it would be unlike any other mass shooting, considering the young age of the victims, and the fact that it was perpetrated by an intruder rather than a student. It's a more emotion-provoking incident than most other school shootings.

Look at how America reacted after 9/11/01. We made sure that, no matter what the expense or the inconvenience, such an attack would not happen again. That's why you have to get practically groped by the government just to board an airplane nowadays. Consequently, there's probably no safer place in America than onboard an airplane. What have we, as a country, done to prevent another Newtown? I would expect even the smallest, most rural school districts to place armed guards at the entrance to every school; aren't the lives of the children worth the expense and inconvenience? Yet, it's just as easy for an outsider to just walk in to any school as it was before Newtown. (Dateline NBC did a documentary on this a few months ago.)

Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,789,390 times
Quote:
They were sent in to help after the school was secured as is protocol. Otherwise the EMS could be casualties if there were bombs or other booby traps set up by the shooter or if there was another shooter/accomplice. The Columbine shooters left behind them a number of devices that if they had functioned as intended would have killed hundreds of the police and EMS personal that had arrived at the scene.
That is not true. The EMT's who responded to the shooting were not allowed to enter the school even after it had been secured. They were told to "stand down" and were told that there were no survivors. That defies all protocol.

Last edited by MissTerri; 03-18-2014 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 AM

793 posts, read 1,345,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
BACK ON TOPIC-

I reject the presumption that he simply was overwhelmed by his mental illness...while that may be the case I still think a string of events contributed to his downfall with something finally pushing him over the edge...but I guess we will never know.

No doubt Adam was a ticking time bomb, but his mother said that when they lost power during Hurricane Sandy (in late October) it seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. His routine was upset and he went ballistic. Of course he did! I'd imagine any kid with Asperger's wouldn't do well in this type of circumstance, but because Adam had other problems plus his whole world was electronic video games, he just couldn't cope with the disruption.

I also wonder why Mrs. Lanza went away for three days (just before the shootings). It seems odd that she would leave him alone for that long. I can see one night away, to test the waters and give herself a break, but three days? It seems out of character with the way she coddled/protected him up to that point...Sadly, we'll never really know her mindset.

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 03-18-2014 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 08:09 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,647,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
...snipped....

What surprises me even further is the lack of a wide-scale response across the country involving implementation of greater security in schools. If this (alleged) incident did truly happen, it would be unlike any other mass shooting, considering the young age of the victims, and the fact that it was perpetrated by an intruder rather than a student. It's a more emotion-provoking incident than most other school shootings.

Look at how America reacted after 9/11/01. We made sure that, no matter what the expense or the inconvenience, such an attack would not happen again. That's why you have to get practically groped by the government just to board an airplane nowadays. Consequently, there's probably no safer place in America than onboard an airplane. What have we, as a country, done to prevent another Newtown? I would expect even the smallest, most rural school districts to place armed guards at the entrance to every school; aren't the lives of the children worth the expense and inconvenience? Yet, it's just as easy for an outsider to just walk in to any school as it was before Newtown. (Dateline NBC did a documentary on this a few months ago.)
I thought there was wide spread discussion, implementation, etc, etc, regarding what to do re school safety. NRA offered to instigate training programs in the schools and train key personnel. That was "shot" down. Some schools did arm certain people. There was endless discussion but no cohesive concensus about this after things quieted down. I am not sure how you missed it.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 AM

947 posts, read 1,467,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I thought there was wide spread discussion, implementation, etc, etc, regarding what to do re school safety. NRA offered to instigate training programs in the schools and train key personnel. That was "shot" down. Some schools did arm certain people. There was endless discussion but no cohesive concensus about this after things quieted down. I am not sure how you missed it.
The NRA when it did training programs passed people who shot children in said programs and said they were qualified. The NRA said it was basing it's programs off of what Israel did and the Israeli gov't said the NRA had no clue what the hell it was talking about and that Israeli schools didn't have armed guards like the NRA was implying. Israel in fact has some of the strictest gun control on the planet that would according to the NRA be a total ban on guns.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I agree. Talk of increased security at schools has been big after Sandy Hook.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 AM

947 posts, read 1,467,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That is not true. The EMT's who responded to the shooting were not allowed to enter the school even after it had been secured. They were told to "stand down" and were told that there were no survivors. That defies all protocol.
Since you keep posting bs misinformed crap that has been debunked time and time again, why do you think you are correct about this?

Sandy Hook: The First 15 Minutes | NBC Connecticut EMT personnel were sent in.

Sandy Hook EMT and former Whittier resident reflects on massacre

Guess what they did enter and they found guess what lots of dead kids. Very few wounded and hence no need for the ambulances.

'You feel helpless': First responders rushed to school after shooting, only to wait - U.S. News

Protocol was followed. The police did follow protocol as did the EMTs. Stop listenting to conspiracy bs sites that do not know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Since you keep posting bs misinformed crap that has been debunked time and time again, why do you think you are correct about this?

Sandy Hook: The First 15 Minutes | NBC Connecticut EMT personnel were sent in.

Sandy Hook EMT and former Whittier resident reflects on massacre

Guess what they did enter and they found guess what lots of dead kids. Very few wounded and hence no need for the ambulances.

'You feel helpless': First responders rushed to school after shooting, only to wait - U.S. News

Protocol was followed. The police did follow protocol as did the EMTs. Stop listenting to conspiracy bs sites that do not know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Actually d, you are the one who has been posting misinformation and you should probably read your links before posting them because they prove my point, not yours.

From your second link:
Quote:
A person who experiences tragic events will inevitably look back and try to identify that last moment where there was still hope - that instant before all was lost and their life changed forever. For the EMS teams staged in front of Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, that moment came when the Newtown EMS captain ordered us to stand down, that there was no one left to help, no one left alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies