Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
That's par for the course for Republicans though; sell special tax carve outs and legalistic restrictions to monied interests who pay them bribes. It's absolutely the opposite of the free market.
democrats do the same damn thing, but again you give them a pass despite them also claiming to be free market types. stop blaming one party or the other, its both sides of the isle that is causing the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I can appreciate this thinking, however, changing how one does things should not be a problem. Investment is subjective. I am not sure how their cars have been sold since I haven't followed them all that much. However, EVs have been getting the short end for far too long. Centrally controlled models have problems. The articles I have seen seem to indicate Tesla had their own dealerships.
Tesla Open for Business. Finally

Yes reading more maybe it was Fisker selling out of existing dealers but either way it appears there is no dealer network to screw over here so the laws shouldn't be needed.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
A) Christie is NOT a "con".

B) It's a valid concern. Where does an owner of a Tesla take their car for service and warranty concerns?

I'm 100% for free market, but aren't lefties supposed to be for protecting customers?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:50 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
democrats do the same damn thing, but again you give them a pass despite them also claiming to be free market types. stop blaming one party or the other, its both sides of the isle that is causing the problem.
To a much less degree as shown by who the corporate interests give their money to. Also, no, I sure don't give them a free pass; that exists only in your own mind.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 AM

553 posts, read 617,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A) Christie is NOT a "con".

B) It's a valid concern. Where does an owner of a Tesla take their car for service and warranty concerns?

I'm 100% for free market, but aren't lefties supposed to be for protecting customers?
You take it to one of the company's Service Centers. Alternatively, for $100 (or included with certain optional prepaid service packages), their "Ranger Service" comes to you, and can do "most most maintenance and warranty repairs." Apparently, they're implementing a "Valet Service" in which they'll bring a loaner for you to use (for no extra charge) while they take your car into the shop and service it.

Tesla Service

Full Disclosure: I am a Tesla shareholder...

Really Full Disclosure: ...as in, I own 1 share of TSLA.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Thank you, but it doesn't make sense. I understand that some car manufacturers may be interested in selling trough a network of dealers. But why is there in place a law that forbids other ways of selling merchandise? What is the reasoning behind it? And, since these laws are dated, why are they still in place today?
More than likely, the reason that there is a law -- as well as the reason that law is still on the books -- is from the relentless lobbying of such groups as NADA and AAM. The car business in the US is enormous -- well over $400 billion annuallly -- and that kind of money buys a lot of influence. That kind of money doesn't like disruptive innovation, either.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Nothing more than maintaining the status quo here.
They talk some big talk but when it comes to action they always take the best interests of their special groups into account first.

This isn't R or D. Both sides do it so stop point fingers.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There is absolutely no reason to as franchise owners already have a legal contract which gives them exclusive rights to a certain geographical area. Just because car companies decided to do this in the past doesn't mean new car companies, like Tesla, have to do it the same way. Notice how only three states have laws preventing direct sales (Texas, NC, and now NJ)? That's because such laws are completely unneeded due to existing contract law and the only reason to pass such laws is to limit or block competition.

That's par for the course for Republicans though; sell special tax carve outs and legalistic restrictions to monied interests who pay them bribes. It's absolutely the opposite of the free market.

Obamacare and the union "carveout" is the same thing.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I would really like to open a car factory website to order and pay for a vehicle and have it delivered to my driveway by a Big Brown Truck. I like the idea of valet maintenance service. I wonder why existing manufacturers don't offer this service. Imagine how much lower the price would be without all of the dealership profit and overhead eliminated. This would really be a MARKET IN ACTION.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Well......given that dealerships are huge businesses these days, it's all about protecting their turf.

I live in NC, and Rick Hendrick's dealership network is a multi-billion dollar business. The word I get from friends of mine within his group is that they worry about the Big3, as well as other manufacturers, using this same go-to-market strategy as Tesla and cutting them out. Apparently, there is legislation on the books in some states covering this already, and has been on the books for years.

It's the same in NJ, and I'm sure Christie received some rather healthy campaign contributions from dealership networks over the years.

I can understand Tesla doing it, because they had such a limited offering initially. But for GM or Toyota to try a direct-to-consumer approach just doesn't make much sense to me.
Same deal in Arizona and Texas. It's all about protecting local dealer lobbies. This is how it works in the good ole USA. The $ trumps school yard partisan issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies