Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. No cherry-picking.
It's not "cherry picking" to compare this time THIS YEAR with this time LAST YEAR - it's simply oranges to oranges and looking at the CALENDAR YEAR. If the 1st quarter of THIS YEAR is so much BETTER than the 1st quarter of LAST YEAR, what do you think that says about the LIKELYHOOD of the ENTIRE FISCAL YEAR this year being better than the ENTIRE FISCAL YEAR last year?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's not "cherry picking" to compare this time THIS YEAR with this time LAST YEAR
Both the federal government's budget and its deficits are recorded via fiscal year.

Cherry-picking interval data gives a misleading impression as federal spending is not uniformly consistent throughout the fiscal year.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Both the federal government's budget and its deficits are recorded via fiscal year.

Cherry-picking interval data gives a misleading impression as federal spending is not uniformly consistent throughout the fiscal year.
Again, it's NOT "cherry picking" to show that the collapse of the deficit is excellerating. Budget planners KNOW that federal spending is not "uniformly consistent throughout the year" and yet they STILL overestimated the final fiscal year deficit (estimates of the deficit were repeatedly revised downward over the course of the fiscal year) - indicating that the deficit was collapsing faster than predicted.

Aside from that overall trend over the course of the calendar year, coompare the Oct-Dec 2012 numbers and the Oct-Dec 2013 numbers. The fiscal year is now HALF OVER and the 1st half fiscal year 2014 is wayyyyyyyy better than the 1st half fiscal year 2013.

No matter HOW you look at it - either by calendar year OR fiscal year, the deficit is collapsing big time.
Look directly at page 2 of the treasury report itself:

https://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/mts1213.pdf

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-25-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Again, it's NOT "cherry picking" to show that the collapse of the deficit is excellerating.
You yourself cherry-picked and gave a fake number for the 2013 deficit.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
You yourself cherry-picked and gave a fake number for the 2013 deficit.
I didn't cherry pick, I simply gave the 2013 number. It is what it is. How is that "fake"?
The fact that YOU don't like what that number says(ie that the deficit is collapsing faster than anticipated) doesn't make it "fake".

It said RIGHT IN MY POST "calendar year". The fact that you don't seem to understand that is not my problem:

Quote:
Which must be why the deficit has been cut in half since 2009 eh?

"...To get an idea of how quickly the deficit is dropping, consider how much it fell from calendar year 2012 to 2013. For all of 2013, the deficit was $560.5 billion compared to $1.06 trillion in 2012. That’s a drop of about $500 billion.

Three months into fiscal 2014, in other words, the deficit has dropped just over one-fifth of what it did in a whole calendar year.

Numbers like these will make calendar year 2009 a distant memory: that year the deficit peaked at $1.47 trillion, up from $680 billion in 2008, as the U.S. struggled with the financial crisis..."

U.S. budget deficit plunging in fiscal 2014 - Capitol Report - MarketWatch

Ken
Ken

Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I didn't cherry pick, I simply gave the 2013 number. It is what it is. How is that "fake"?
It does not correspond to the federal government's fiscal year, which is how budgets and deficits are recorded. You know that. You've been caught in a lie, and you're scrambling.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
It does not correspond to the federal government's fiscal year, which is how budgets and deficits are recorded. You know that. You've been caught in a lie, and you're scrambling.
So it's not the fiscal year?
So what?
Does that CHANGE the data?

The data says what the data says - and the data SAYS the deficit is COLLAPSING - whether you look at it by FISCAL YEAR OR CALENDAR YEAR.
My post said outright "calendar year' - so how EXACTLY did I "lie"? I'm not responsible for your poor reading comprehension skills.

Ken

Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
So it's not the fiscal year?
So what?
Admission of data manipulation.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Admission of data manipulation.
I NEVER said it was the "fiscal year".
It's not my fault you can't read what was clearly written.
As usual for a representative for the "Party of (no) Personal Responsibility" you seem to only believe in "personal responsibility" when the person is "someone else". Take responsibility for your own lack of reading comprehension skill. The quote CLEARLY compared calendar years - and said so TWICE>

And as I said, whether you look at the calendar year OR the fiscal year, the result is the same - the deficit is collapsing, and those very same numbers that were displayed in the calendar year 2013 are also used in the fiscal year 2014. The calendar year numbers are simply a preview of what the fiscal year numbers will be.

Ken

Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I have listened to this BS about the rich are job creators, the Ayn Rand BS about the wealthy are the engines of the economy. That is total BS. Why are we in the situation we are in right now?
Because the government interferes with a free economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies