Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Another thread where posters try to hide the moral turpitude of their arguments by feigning grievance that other posters have a superior command of the language than they. Leave it to the right-wing to make ignorance an ethic - a badge of honor.
Haha...it seems I hit a nerve. No one mentioned you or anyone else in particular. Also, I am not going to let my righteous indignation get in the way of my posting. It is always better to use language that is easy to understand when posting rather than blathering away with flowery words. No one needs to prove their large vocabulary on a forum. I am not against welfare completely, but I do think it is being abused. No, I know it is. Why wouldn't everyone want to make the system better? If everyone has pride in a job well done, why don't we help EVERYONE get and keep a job rather than paying people not to work?

Old 04-04-2014, 06:31 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
We all would love it if there was no abuse of welfare. We would also love it if there were no abuses of our tax dollars at all. Unfortunately, it happens & those who actually need welfare due to having rough times will continue to get called names because of those who abuse the system.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Haha...it seems I hit a nerve. No one mentioned you or anyone else in particular.
Oh, it was quite obvious. You've been complaining about BuU's superior intellect for awhile now.

Quote:
It is always better to use language that is easy to understand when posting rather than blathering away with flowery words. No one needs to prove their large vocabulary on a forum.
Are you suggesting that BuU pretend to be less intelligent than he is in order to please you? I understand everything he's saying, because he's using plain English. I'm sorry his vocabulary intimidates or confuses you.

Quote:
I am not against welfare completely, but I do think it is being abused. No, I know it is. Why wouldn't everyone want to make the system better? If everyone has pride in a job well done, why don't we help EVERYONE get and keep a job rather than paying people not to work?
A splendid idea. How do you think we should go about doing it? I do worry that the nation's conservatives would opposed any such plan, because it's too much government interference.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
buu wrote...

Quote:

If you're going to throw out pointless throwaway sentences like that, you're
going to have to say what you mean. If you don't, I'll simply shove really
offensive words in your mouth and attribute them to you, until you have the
fortitude to be very clear about what your intention is in making such a
statement. For example, you sound like you're saying, "Let the babies die of
starvation by withholding public assistance from single mothers." Since that is
the only cogent conclusion I can see following from your comment, I'll assume
that that kind of immoral perspective is what you are promoting, until such time
as you make it very clear what you would do in that scenario.

And I
condemn such morally offensive intentions.
That is your perception of what I wrote?
Paying mothers to continually have babies, is nothing more than an incentive for poor mothers to have more babies and chances are, all of those kids will be welfare recipients at one time or another. Most of these mothers are not fit for motherhood and many of their kids have no father figure and end up turning into criminals. My feeling has always been, the only way out of poverty permanently is through education. And no, I do not advocate starving the children.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh, it was quite obvious. You've been complaining about BuU's superior intellect for awhile now.

Figures you would apply "big words" to "superior intellect."

Just like you graduated from harvard...hell you gotta be smart....

Quote:
Are you suggesting that BuU pretend to be less intelligent than he is in order to please you? I understand everything he's saying, because he's using plain English. I'm sorry his vocabulary intimidates or confuses you.
Using big words looks like you are pretending....or foolish...you pick....

Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
buu wrote...

That is your perception of what I wrote?
Paying mothers to continually have babies, is nothing more than an incentive for poor mothers to have more babies and chances are, all of those kids will be welfare recipients at one time or another. Most of these mothers are not fit for motherhood and many of their kids have no father figure and end up turning into criminals. My feeling has always been, the only way out of poverty permanently is through education. And no, I do not advocate starving the children.
How much are you willing to pay to ensure that each and every citizen of this country gets exactly the right education they need to gain meaningful employment that will support them forever?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Haha...it seems I hit a nerve. No one mentioned you or anyone else in particular. Also, I am not going to let my righteous indignation get in the way of my posting. It is always better to use language that is easy to understand when posting rather than blathering away with flowery words. No one needs to prove their large vocabulary on a forum. I am not against welfare completely, but I do think it is being abused. No, I know it is. Why wouldn't everyone want to make the system better? If everyone has pride in a job well done, why don't we help EVERYONE get and keep a job rather than paying people not to work?
Because there is a difference between paying someone not to work vs Paying them until they find a job.

Also, there are alot of people who are fine with reforming the welfare system, the problems comes when you try to find and agreed upon solution. Some of the solutions those on the right come up with would include far more than those who are cheating the system and would end up hurting people who are simply down on their luck.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
How much are you willing to pay to ensure that each and every citizen of this country gets exactly the right education
We already pay more than we need to accomplish that. The problem isn't inadequate funding. We already pay more to educate our kids than any other country in the world. The problem is K-12 eductors' implementation of extremely ineffective but politically correct education ideology in our country's public schools.

It's the exact opposite of what happens at U.S. public universities. Students are admitted to public universities based on achievement and merit. It's NOT easy to get admitted to UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, Michigan, UNC, UIUC, UW-Madison, etc... Consequently, we have some of the best public universities in the world.

Public K-12 in the U.S. is NOT implemented that way, even though it could be by grouping students in classes within schools by skill/ability level and therefore more specifically targeting instruction to move ALL students forward. So... while we have many of the best public universities in the world, our K-12 public schools and our students rank much lower than that of other countries.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We already pay more than we need to accomplish that. The problem isn't inadequate funding. We already pay more to educate our kids than any other country in the world. The problem is K-12 eductors' implementation of extremely ineffective but politically correct education ideology in our country's public schools.

It's the exact opposite of what happens at U.S. public universities. Students are admitted to public universities based on achievement and merit. It's NOT easy to get admitted to UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, Michigan, UNC, UIUC, UW-Madison, etc... Consequently, we have some of the best public universities in the world.

Public K-12 in the U.S. is NOT implemented that way, even though it could be by grouping students in classes within schools by skill/ability level and therefore more specifically targeting instruction to move ALL students forward. So... while we have many of the best public universities in the world, our K-12 public schools and our students rank much lower than that of other countries.
That's not what I asked, and not what the previous poster was talking about. This thread is not about the public education system in the U.S. (which I gather you're ready to dump).

The poster wants everyone to have education so that everyone is employed. How do you ENFORCE that? Do you want government to step in and frog-march unwilling people into IT classes? How about government passing legislation making it illegal to major in certain disciplines that government deems unworthy? Or forcing people to take classes in stuff they don't have the aptitude for, and forcing them to work in jobs they're terrible at?

Surely these kinds of measures would eliminate all need for welfare. Even the dumbest or laziest of citizens would never be out of work, right?

And don't forget forced sterilization of citizens deemed unworthy of having children. Without welfare, that's the only way to ensure that children don't pay the price for their parents' sins.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
How much are you willing to pay to ensure that each and every citizen of this country gets exactly the right education they need to gain meaningful employment that will support them forever?
Are you saying that all people do not have the same choice for education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies