Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 10:10 AM

377 posts, read 671,064 times

Advertisements

Here is the problem with welfare...it is no longer used as a stepping stone to self-sufficiency. It is no longer used as a temporary emergency backup plan. It has become a way of life. It has become generational and yes even cultural to some.

However if people want to live on the piddly sum that welfare provides...who cares? I'd prefer to work and have a better quality of life.

You should be more upset about the EIC and our ridiculous tax code. Someone who works a few hours per week (by choice!!) and pays no federal income tax and then is given a mass sum at the end of the year (I'm talking $5000-$8000 on average which they promptly blow on crap all while telling the welfare office their kids are starving)..that is worthy of our anger.

Last edited by Rusty Avocado; 04-04-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: font was weird

Old 04-04-2014, 10:13 AM

377 posts, read 671,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
For reasons of personal pride maybe?

Again, we've already added sweeping changes to welfare over the years. Most people that get on it get off of it.
No they don't...

Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM

89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
That's not what I asked, and not what the previous poster was talking about. This thread is not about the public education system in the U.S. (which I gather you're ready to dump).
Yes, that was indeed what you asked:
Quote:
How much are you willing to pay to ensure that each and every citizen of this country gets exactly the right education they need
You just don't like the answer because it exposes what a horrendous job K-12 public educators and their extremely inefficient politically correct ideology-based curricula and educational practices are doing.

Our world class Public universities, in direct contrast, admit, place, and educate students based on merit and achievement. It is a successful educational practice.

Quote:
The poster wants everyone to have education so that everyone is employed.
Can't do that without FIRST providing "each and every citizen of this country exactly the right education they need," as you stated.
Quote:
And don't forget forced sterilization of citizens deemed unworthy of having children.
No need. Just don't pay people to breed, plain and simple. If anyone wants to have kids, they have to provide for them.
Quote:
Without welfare, that's the only way to ensure that children don't pay the price for their parents' sins.
Even WITH welfare, children pay the price for their selfish parents' irresponsibility. Haven't you seen the grim statistics?

Youth From Low-Income Families Fact Sheet
Youth from Low-Income Families: Fact Sheet

Welfare isn't working. Paying people to breed isn't working. We're just getting more of what we're paying for: people in poverty.

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,268,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, that was indeed what you asked:You just don't like the answer because it exposes what a horrendous job K-12 public educators and their extremely inefficient politically correct ideology-based curricula and educational practices are doing.

Our world class Public universities, in direct contrast, admit, place, and educate students based on merit and achievement. It is a successful educational practice.

Can't do that without FIRST providing "each and every citizen of this country exactly the right education they need," as you stated.
No need. Just don't pay people to breed, plain and simple. If anyone wants to have kids, they have to provide for them.
Even WITH welfare, children pay the price for their selfish parents' irresponsibility. Haven't you seen the grim statistics?

Youth From Low-Income Families Fact Sheet
Youth from Low-Income Families: Fact Sheet

Welfare isn't working. Paying people to breed isn't working. We're just getting more of what we're paying for: people in poverty.

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu
Go ahead and keep telling me what I'm talking about. It makes you seem so intelligent.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Go ahead and keep telling me what I'm talking about.
You're implying it will take more money to provide each student with the education they need. We already know it won't. That's been tried and has failed, miserably. We spend more than any other country on K-12 education, but our country's students lag behind other countries students'.

AND you assert that without welfare, children will pay for their parents' sins. The fact is that even with welfare, they STILL do.

You seem to not know what you're talking about. You're throwing propaganda platitudes around without realizing that what you're suggesting has already been tried and FAILED, spectacularly.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
You're implying it will take more money to provide each student with the education they need. We already know it won't. That's been tried and has failed, miserably. We spend more than any other country on K-12 education, but our country's students lag behind other countries students'.

AND you assert that without welfare, children will pay for their parents' sins. The fact is that even with welfare, they STILL do.

You seem to not know what you're talking about. You're throwing propaganda platitudes around without realizing that what you're suggesting has already been tried and FAILED, spectacularly.
I have no idea why you're still going on about this. There are a dozen other threads discussing the American public education system.

You still haven't told me how we FORCE people to take advantage of the education system we already have, in order to make welfare unnecessary and provide universal employment, which is what I was asking.

Of course, if you can't think of an answer, carry on posting about a different topic altogether as you have been.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM

39,263 posts, read 27,661,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? No. REALLY. Do you? For more then 5 years?

Welfare is not a long term forever thing now you know. RIGHT? You know this right? That it has a 5 year limit for the vast majority of states.

Oh wait...no your confusing the 20th century with the 21st century.
You made it sound like welfare scam doesn't exist, scamming the system is easier than you thought.

Wealthy Minnesota couple scams more than $165,000 from welfare system

Read more: Wealthy Minnesota couple scams more than $165,000 from welfare system: cops - NY Daily News

In all -- 13 people were arrested. Their charges range from lying about their income to receive welfare or medical benefits -- to falsifying mileage reimbursements -- and illegally receiving Medical and SNAP benefits.

Police say they bilked the state more than 100,000 dollars.

13 people busted for welfare fraud in New York - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

and the lists go on and on and on.

check the sources, they are not from foxnews.

Let's not pretend welfare scam is not a huge social problem in the united states.

Edit: My family owns several retail stores in Southern California, I had at least two people who were willing to give me foodstamp in exchange of a store merchandise. Of course I busted them by reporting them to the authority.

It is incredibly sad that you believe somebody deserve to be on welfare for more than five freaking Month, let alone five freaking long damn years.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-04-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You still haven't told me how we FORCE people to take advantage of the education system we already have, in order to make welfare unnecessary and provide universal employment, which is what I was asking.
You don't force anyone to take advantage of education. But at the same time, DON'T hold ANYONE back because some don't want to learn. Unfortunately, we hold kids back to coddle the stragglers in K-12 public education, now, and that strategy is failing miserably.

And if it turns out that not taking advantage of an education means someone cannot support themselves without great difficulty and hardship, well, then... it sucks to be them. They will struggle, and provide an example to others of what happens when one makes irresponsible choices.

They could have made a more productive choice like others, but didn't. Why should those who made the right choice have to pay for those who didn't? Talk about an extreme moral hazard disincentive.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
You don't force anyone to take advantage of education. But at the same time, DON'T hold ANYONE back because some don't want to learn. Unfortunately, we hold kids back to coddle the stragglers in K-12 public education, now, and that strategy is failing miserably.

And if it turns out that not taking advantage of an education means someone cannot support themselves without great difficulty and hardship, well, then... it sucks to be them. They will struggle, and provide an example to others of what happens when one makes irresponsible choices.

They could have made a more productive choice like others, but didn't. Why should those who made the right choice have to pay for those who didn't? Talk about an extreme moral hazard disincentive.
And what about forcing those people who mentally or physically incapable of supporting themselves? Shouldn't we do that if we're going to eliminate welfare? And let's not forget to sterilize them to make sure they don't "breed like rabbits."

Listen, NO ONE thinks there's no welfare fraud. But demonizing enormous groups of people and calling for throwing out the baby with the bathwater is disingenuous. It's just not that easy nor black and white. Yet cons continue to toss out simplistic platitudes about it as if that's all it takes. "Close your legs." "Make better choices." "Don't study poetry, study IT." And on and on, thread after thread. If it's that simple, have at it. Make it happen. I've got the popcorn right here to enjoy while cons run up against the vapidness of their own "ideas."

Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Close your legs." "Make better choices." "Don't study poetry, study IT." And on and on, thread after thread. If it's that simple, have at it. Make it happen. I've got the popcorn right here to enjoy while cons run up against the vapidness of their own "ideas."
When so many fatherless black kids you don't think making better choices is an answer, nor is closing your legs would help? What is your answer? Keep doing any guy that pays attention and then Abortion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies