Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:52 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times

Advertisements

Serious question. They claim to be the voice for the poor and oppressed, yet many of the biggest voices are swimming in money. Why? They cant spend all of that money. Why let it sit when you can cut a check an extra check to the government or give it to the poor?

Or is the point really that its other peoples money you want to demonize and be used?

IMO, its not about their bs "cause" at all. Its about money and power. They dont give a damn about the causes they preach of, they care about themselves. If they really, really believed a lot of the crap they say, they would feel guilty about having so much money and would give most of their wealth away and live more middle class like. But they wont, they're hypocritical deceivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Social conscience isn't a solo sport. It's a group venture.

Beyond that: http://givingpledge.org/

Selected highlights:
Quote:
MANOJ BHARGAVA

“Service to others seems the only intelligent choice for the use of wealth. The other choices especially personal consumption, seem either useless or harmful.”
Quote:
JOYCE AND BILL CUMMINGS

“Having already pledged privately years ago to donate 90 percent of our wealth to charity, we now publicly take the Giving Pledge in the hope that, with every new member, the Association will gain momentum and provide encouragement to others who have the capacity to give in very meaningful ways.”
Quote:
JON AND KAREN HUNTSMAN

“It has been clear to me since my earliest childhood memories that my reason for being was to help others.”
Such gestures are wonderful. However, reversing the corruption done to society from the right-wing's egoistic avarice that has affected our nation for the last generation will take more than such gestures. It will take efforts by society to direct how resources are spent. I can invite one person to my table for dinner. Or together with the members of my church we can invite three times as many of us to share a meal together. Or together with everyone in our state we can ensure ten times as many of us won't go hungry. And so on.

The petulant implicit demand not to be part of society and contribute to its efforts to protect its most vulnerable members is a child's attitude, worthy only of lessons not regard.

Last edited by bUU; 03-22-2014 at 06:08 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 06:12 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Beyond that: The Giving Pledge :: Pledger Profiles

Selected highlights:

Such gestures are wonderful. However, reversing the corruption done to society from the right-wing's egoistic avarice that has affected our nation for the last generation will take more than such gestures. It will take efforts by society to direct how resources are spent. I can invite one person to my table for dinner. Or together with the members of my church we can invite three times as many of us to share a meal together. Or together with everyone in our state we can ensure ten times as many of us won't go hungry. And so on.

The petulant implicit demand not to be part of society and contribute to its efforts to protect its most vulnerable members is a child's attitude, worthy only of lessons not regard.
In other words, steal from others to fund your selfish cause.

The rest of the post is rambling nonsense.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In other words, steal from others to fund your selfish cause.
Typical Frank evasion of civic responsibility. Society is everyone's cause. But I don't expect someone of your political bent to admit their obligations to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The rest of the post is rambling nonsense.
In other words, even your regular set of evasion wouldn't fit with the moral repudiation of what you prefer, implicit in that portion of my posting.

Typical Frank.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
It has been documented over and over, that Conservatives give 75% more to charity every year, than the opposite Progressive voter.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
Why should they give their money away, its their money,they earned it, why don't the poor give their money away too. Same principal .sound like you just want something for free, more welfare. Get a job earn your own money.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Typical Frank evasion of civic responsibility. Society is everyone's cause. But I don't expect someone of your political bent to admit their obligations to society.

In other words, even your regular set of evasion wouldn't fit with the moral repudiation of what you prefer, implicit in that portion of my posting.

Typical Frank.
Stealing from others to give to your selfish cause is not civic responsibility, its theft. Charity is voluntary.
The rest of your post is sidebar gibberish.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It has been documented over and over, that Conservatives give 75% more to charity every year, than the opposite Progressive voter.

Progressives only give when they can take credit and to make themselves look good. How many in Hollywood give in private without making a media mockery out of it?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,434 times
They can give your money away; why would they part with their dough?

It's always easy to be generous with other peoples money after all.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:54 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:

Beyond that: The Giving Pledge :: Pledger Profiles

Selected highlights:

In other words, your ideas are so good they have to be mandatory.

"Do as we say, not as we do"

Repudiate that where the sun don't shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies