Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability is the second in a series of four reports prepared by hundreds of the world's top climate scientists through the IPCC.

The report states that climate change has already affected agriculture, human health, ecosystems, water supplies and some people's livelihoods. The striking feature of the effects, said the report, is that they are occurring from the tropics to the poles, from small islands to large continents, and from the wealthiest countries to the poorest. Report: Effects of climate change seen everywhere

IPCC SREX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,209,248 times
Yep, stuffs happening

Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
No new science in seven years - just an update on old science. Yeah. Right.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:37 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
Yep, stuffs happening
Yep. Global warming has been happening since the end of the last ice age. Global cooling has been happening for 2 million years. And the last 100 years? Who cares.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Amen.

James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion

Environmentalism has "become a religion" and does not pay enough attention to facts, according to James Lovelock.

The 94 year-old scientist, famous for his Gaia hypothesis that Earth is a self-regulating, single organism, also said that he had been too certain about the rate of global warming in his past book, that "it’s just as silly to be a [climate] denier as it is to be a believer” and that fracking and nuclear power should power the UK, not renewable sources such as windfarms.

Speaking to the Guardian for an interview ahead of a landmark UN climate science report on Monday on the impacts of climate change, Lovelock said of the warnings of climate catastrophe in his 2006 book, Revenge of Gaia: "I was a little too certain in that book. You just can’t tell what’s going to happen."

James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion | Environment | theguardian.com

Old 03-31-2014, 01:45 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Amen.

James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion

Environmentalism has "become a religion" and does not pay enough attention to facts, according to James Lovelock.

The 94 year-old scientist, famous for his Gaia hypothesis that Earth is a self-regulating, single organism, also said that he had been too certain about the rate of global warming in his past book, that "it’s just as silly to be a [climate] denier as it is to be a believer” and that fracking and nuclear power should power the UK, not renewable sources such as windfarms.

Speaking to the Guardian for an interview ahead of a landmark UN climate science report on Monday on the impacts of climate change, Lovelock said of the warnings of climate catastrophe in his 2006 book, Revenge of Gaia: "I was a little too certain in that book. You just can’t tell what’s going to happen."

James Lovelock: environmentalism has become a religion | Environment | theguardian.com
Sorry, but this just the opinion of a 94 year old who is waffling. Climate science is not a religion, as it is based on evidence....Climate change denial is a better fit if we are going to compare to religion, as it constantly makes baseless assertions with no evidence at all....It reminds me of the way fundamentalists operate.

I think I'll take the evidence reported by the scientists actually working on the issue over one old chemist who can't make up his mind.

Environmental guru Dr James Lovelock has said that worsening climate change will force fundamental changes in the way we live, with people clustering together "like insects" in vast super-cities. James Lovelock's Climate Change Solution: Lets Live Like Insects

Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
There is evidence that the sun is moving across the sky which may result in darkness later today. What an idiotic "science"

Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability is the second in a series of four reports prepared by hundreds of the world's top climate scientists through the IPCC.

The report states that climate change has already affected agriculture, human health, ecosystems, water supplies and some people's livelihoods. The striking feature of the effects, said the report, is that they are occurring from the tropics to the poles, from small islands to large continents, and from the wealthiest countries to the poorest. Report: Effects of climate change seen everywhere

IPCC SREX
Yeah, I saw that on the news today. It also said we're woefully unprepared to adapt.
Instead of adapting, many are still denying.
Yes, the American right...I'm looking at you.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:01 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
I'm sorry old friend, but in what sense is this the most comprehensive CC report ever produced? I've read it, at least the parts that were released thus far, and it seemed pretty light on the details to me.

I also don't like the change from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change." The new name suggests an unfalsifiable hypothesis, which is verboten in most other scientific endeavors. For example, what evidence would I have to bring forward to prove the climate hasn't changed any more or less than it normally does? Like ID, claims that aren't falsifiable usually aren't considered scientific claims.

At least with "Global Warming" it suggested a hypothesis that one could either prove or disprove. "Change" is so ambigious it doesn't subject itself to scrutiny.

I also don't like that they have abandoned the time honored tradition of reporting only findings that we have high confidence in. Although, I guess sense it's a meta-analysis it's not that big of a deal.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
"Scientific consensus = nonsense"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies