Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times

Advertisements

Still makes me wonder why people keep pit bulls as pets. Sounds almost like keeping a rattlesnake, and giving it the run of the neighborhood. I had a boxer, and he caused enough trouble, but he didn't attack or maul anybody. Nor did any other boxers I ever heard of.

But the other thing that occurred to me was... if the mother had had a handgun in her pruse, her daughter probably wouldn't be nearly as torn up now, as she is. But in this incident, the mother apparently had nothing but her bare hands, to fight off the pit bull. She sailed in and fought the dog, of course. But apparently the fight went on and on, until a cop finally arrived and used his weapon to shoot the dog, which ended the fight. Result: Mother injured, daughter BADLY injured. And either or both of them could have been killed, before the cop finally arrived.

If the mother had had a handgun nearby, and had practiced with it, the fight with the dog would have been over a lot sooner, and very likely the injuries would have been a lot less.

Firearms. They aren't just for fighting off bad GUYS. Too bad so many politicians think law-abiding people shouldn't have them. If they weren't so hysterical on the subject, maybe that woman's little daughter wouldn't be in a hospital with half her face torn off right now.

------------------------------------------

League City police shoot dog as it mauls mother and child - Houston Chronicle

League City police shoot dog as it mauls mother and child

By Dale Lezon | March 31, 2014 | Updated: March 31, 2014 10:58am

A mother and her 2-year-old daughter were rushed to the hospital after a dog attacked them at an apartment in League City.

Pena said when officers arrived, a very aggressive pit bull dog was mauling the child and her mother was trying to protect her. An officer was forced to shoot and kill the canine to stop the attack. The girl had severe injuries on her head and face. Her mother had injuries on her arms and hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,568 times
This isn't politics, but don't let that stop you from making it political. True class. And you accuse Dems of politicizing tragedy...

Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
I just carry pepper spray for potential animal attacks, its the strong kind that can ward off a bear.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I just carry pepper spray for potential animal attacks, its the strong kind that can ward off a bear.
All the time?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
All the time?
Yes. I've been attacked by dogs off of a leash, won't let it happen again. My dog needed surgery because of it.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:46 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,113,998 times
Reports, such as this one, is the reason why I asked my son and DIL to remove their pit bull from their home when my grandson was born.

I know that not all pit bulls will attack. As I was told, pit bulls are stellar pets, which I have no doubt. However, I did not want test the good nature of a pit bull at the risk of my grandson's safety.

I trust that the mother and her daughter have a speedy recovery.

ETA: my son gave his pit to a close friend, whom also had a pit bull.

Last edited by Erratikmind; 03-31-2014 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Edit to add

Old 03-31-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yes. I've been attacked by dogs off of a leash, won't let it happen again. My dog needed surgery because of it.
Aren't the bear sprays big, like not pocket size?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Aren't the bear sprays big, like not pocket size?
Some are, but the kind I have can fit in my purse, or I just carry it freely and strap it to my wrist.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

But the other thing that occurred to me was... if the mother had had a handgun in her pruse, her daughter probably wouldn't be nearly as torn up now, as she is.
Alternatively, this mother might have chosen to decline to pet sit her boyfriend's pit bull and in doing so, not put her child in potential harms way.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Some are, but the kind I have can fit in my purse, or I just carry it freely and strap it to my wrist.
Good to know. The only ones I have ever seen are like a liter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies