Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the punishment be, if any?
Good job, doc! (Pat on back) 73 77.66%
Shame on you, doc! (Scolding but no outright punishment) 6 6.38%
Lose your license. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 11 11.70%
Lose your license, except for practicing in servce of gov't (e.g. VA hospitals) 4 4.26%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,475,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I left out the gulag and execution of doctors since only 7% of people preferred those options last time I posted a poll.

Is Obamacare second-rate insurance? - Video - Business News
Your poll is entirely invalid. None of the choices are appropriate because even your "no they shouldn't be punished" choices are still done from the perspective of having the right to punish them. Your poll assumes you have the authority to punish them and simply asks whether or not to use it. But you don't have that right. America is a free country.

If your insurance system is so bad that doctors won't take it, then your job isn't to force doctors to take it anyway. Your job is to fix your insurance system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,321,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Easier said than done, bub! I don't think you know as much about health care as you think.
lol

Yes, I don't deal with doctors on a regular basis regarding our Watson oncology projects. You're right...bub.

Last edited by summers73; 04-01-2014 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,321,437 times
Awesome! 13% support license revocation for not accepting private insurance.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:24 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
lol

Yes, I don't deal with doctors on a regular basis regarding our Watson oncology projects. You're right...bub.
So you work in some lab with MDs? Tell me, are there tons of openings for these jobs? What if half the docs in town applied? How many would get hired?

Old 04-01-2014, 12:28 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,352,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Let's say private insurance will pay $1800-2200 for a 2D echo/physician reading fee. (That's exactly what my bill was $2200 for our 11 month old) (That's the actual payment and not the master bill which is usually $2500.

Medicare will be lucky to be paid $300-400 plus professional fees. So around $500-600.

You only need 1 private for for 3-4 Medicare patients.
Florida has more uninsured residents than any other state, with S. Florida having the largest number of those uninsured. I daresay that we Medicare covered senior citizens support more doctors, particularly in some specialties, than do privately insured folks. I'm not worried about doctors refusing to treat me.....

FWIW, I think doctors should be free to run their practices as they see fit. I don't applaud those who refuse to treat certain patients and I don't condemn them. It's none of my business. I did not vote in this thread's silly poll.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,516,442 times
After were done with the Doctors, lets revoke the teaching license of any teacher that would require more than $25K per year to work.

....<waits a moment to let that sink in>.....

When you understand why that won't work with teachers, you'll understand why it won't work for Doctors.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,810,200 times
So what's the point of having a medical license and practicing if you get paid crap? If I were a doctor I would have focused on positioning myself to get out of the field completely.

Actually that is exactly what I did. Hospitals are short staffed and dangerous. It started going downhill when there was a push for Hillarycare.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
I just went back to the OP. So we're supposed to believe, on the basis of a video, that many doctors aren't accepting exchange based insurance? Why don't you supply us with a few more statistics, OP?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM

30,170 posts, read 18,763,147 times
Quote:
Understand that I am merely playing devil's advocate here.

Lower the bar, lower the quality. Create MASSIVE incentives and subsidized interest loan rates for people entering into medicine and sidestep guilds like the AMA.

The next generation would have much lower student loans and less debt obligation due to the subsidization of their education. Thus, they could work for far less.

Look at the fedgov lately and say that with a straight face.

Do it or lose your license. Perhaps even go to jail. Class envy commoners love watching upper middle income people eat cake and experience "a day walking in their shoes". This will especially be true as upper middle and upper class folks become an increasingly scarce minority of the population. NEVER underestimate the peoples' love for bread and circuses. Remember that not too long ago people got a hard on for watching dudes become enslaved to fight to the death against lions or each other. Social democracy WIN!

Create Fedgov standard to set the bar very high on quotas, perhaps by Exec Order granting DHHS through the ACA to accomplish this.
Perhaps, but I doubt it-

1. The AMA does not create medical school slots or residency slots- Congress does. Medicare had funded many residency slots as well. With cut backs, it is very unlikely that residency or medical school slots will be expanded. In fact, it is presumed that there will be too many medical students for available residency slots (due to reductions) and thus even fewer physicians.

Cutting the "cost" of medical school and "lowering the bar for admissions" does nothing if there are not enough medical schools, staff to train them, available course material, and residency slots available.

2. Lower student loans and education costs? I suppose so, however-
a. the lower costs do not matter when there are not enough training programs
b. one still has an average (sometimes more) of EIGHT YEARS of additional training after college. Very few, if any, will put forth that effort, income sacrifice, and time to achieve a low paying job.

3. 13th Amendment? Yes, of course. It is the "slippery slope". Once you start enslaving one part of the population, it is easier to force compulsory labor on the other parts. No one in their right mind would support this. Should we force attorneys to work for free? Should we force police officers and firemen to work for free? How about farmers? After all, we all need food and farmers should be forced to work, even if they don't want to do so.

Now who is going to come to my house, drag me to my clinic, and drag me from room to room in order to see these patients?

4. Lose your license? My medical license is issued by THE STATE, not the federal government. I don't know about other states, but I cannot see my state ceding the power to license professionals (it is just more than physicians) to the federal government and thus lose that control. I have a federal and a state DEA license- I would gladly give up my federal DEA license.

When you start throwing law abiding people into jail for failing to agree to compulsory labor, one has arrived at the precipice of insurrection. I agree- few would care personally about physicians going to jail, but putting a few hundred thousand physicians in jail would collapse the medical system. Further, we don't have enough room to house criminals, let alone law abiding citizens.

5. Quotas? Again, the feds have no "teeth". The feds cover medicare, but most of us would gladly give up medicare, as it pays very poorly. Licenses are issued by the state. Medical degrees and residency certificates are issued by institutions. The feds have no power over us to enforce anything.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,195,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just went back to the OP. So we're supposed to believe, on the basis of a video, that many doctors aren't accepting exchange based insurance? Why don't you supply us with a few more statistics, OP?
I have had absolutely zero issue finding doctors that take my ACA plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies