Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:59 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Funny you should mention big business catching on. Liberals frequently rant against big business, about how they're just trying to make a profit. Well that is exactly what they do. They are not jumping on the global warming band wagon, becaus ethey believe it necasarily. But they make money off products that are "green" with a huge mark up. People buy into this hype then go out and buy new hybrid cars, get their house fixed up with solar, etc, etc. Guess what. They are making a huge profit off of suckers. They are using global warming as a mass advertising tool.
"Liberals" don't object to profit, just ill-gotten gains. We don't object to big businesses, either, as long as they do not infringe on the common good.

Private citizens are not promoting awareness of Global Warming to sell anything, you are off base completely. Some businesses are favoring comprehensive action on global warming because they want stability, and unchecked global warming will threaten the certainty that they can make money and run a business. Take action now or suffer later. It's called an investment.

Global warming should not be a partisan issue. The fact it still is, shows that some people in this country really have their heads buried in the sand and are woefully suspicious of how science works. But then creationism is also wildly popular in the US. Very sad comment on the state of the intellects in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 12:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
"Liberals" don't object to profit, just ill-gotten gains.
Funny how everyone, besides "liberals" of course, who makes a profit is classified as obtaining it through "ill-gotten gains."

Quote:
We don't object to big businesses, either, as long as they do not infringe on the common good.
The "common good" as defined by "liberals" obviously. Ever watch a Captain Planet cartoon? Liberals have been indoctrinating children into believing that all corporations are EVIL for years.

Quote:
Private citizens are not promoting awareness of Global Warming to sell anything...
Actually, they have been doing precisely that. They are selling fear-mongering for their own personal aggrandizement and their bid for power.

Quote:
Some businesses are favoring comprehensive action on global warming because they want stability, and unchecked global warming will threaten the certainty that they can make money and run a business. Take action now or suffer later. It's called an investment.
Not true. Some businesses who cater to the environmentalist wackos are simply trying to make a profit by improving their public relations with the eco-freak fringe. That is what business does, they make a profit. Those businesses that don't make a profit don't stay in business very long.

Quote:
Global warming should not be a partisan issue. The fact it still is, shows that some people in this country really have their heads buried in the sand and are woefully suspicious of how science works.
That part is certainly true, and judging from the pseudo junk "science" Gore repeatedly spews, it clearly isn't the right that has a problem with science. Before you go off on a rant about Christians ignoring this global warming fear-mongering by the left you should know that I am an atheist with a science background.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Quote:
"Liberals" don't object to profit, just ill-gotten gains. We don't object to big businesses, either, as long as they do not infringe on the common good.

Private citizens are not promoting awareness of Global Warming to sell anything, you are off base completely. Some businesses are favoring comprehensive action on global warming because they want stability, and unchecked global warming will threaten the certainty that they can make money and run a business. Take action now or suffer later. It's called an investment.

Global warming should not be a partisan issue. The fact it still is, shows that some people in this country really have their heads buried in the sand and are woefully suspicious of how science works. But then creationism is also wildly popular in the US. Very sad comment on the state of the intellects in this country.
You hit the nail right on the head, I am very suspicious of how science works. The same science that says "Bird Flu is coming and will kill you" "SARS is coming and will kill you" Am I dead? Look at science 100 years ago, and we say, wow, they were diluted. Those scientists looked back another 100 years and said, Wow, they were diluted. What will scientists say 100 years from now? I see science essentially as another religion, based on faith, however this religion has no continuity.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:33 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
You hit the nail right on the head, I am very suspicious of how science works. The same science that says "Bird Flu is coming and will kill you" "SARS is coming and will kill you" Am I dead? Look at science 100 years ago, and we say, wow, they were diluted. Those scientists looked back another 100 years and said, Wow, they were diluted. What will scientists say 100 years from now? I see science essentially as another religion, based on faith, however this religion has no continuity.
Science is based on something called the 'scientific method' the procedure of observation and collection of data, and extrapolating this into something called a Theory.

Religion is based on myth and legend- the two are very different.

Science has brought us the splitting of the Atom, a cure for polio- religion has given us faith and hope.
Even in the soft sciences like Sociology, the concept of empirical data, testing and inferential statistics must be used- religion uses no such criteria.

Last edited by skytrekker; 12-08-2007 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 04:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Science is based on something called the 'scientific method' the procedure of observation and collection of data.

Religion is based on myth and legend- the two are very different.
It's amazing how easy it is for people to believe what some have labeled "science." As in the science of global warming.

And I don't know what religion you are refering to but there is plenty to support the fact the Jesus did exist. Not many dispute this. His miracles, his rise from the dead, documented by many.

Myth, legend? I don't think so. . . Now the "myth" of global warming, that's something we can debate.

Oh, and I know, I know. This is not a religious debate but a discussion about global warming, and take it to the religion forum if we want to discuss this. However, I am just responding to a poster who decided to throw religion into the mix.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
It's amazing how easy it is for people to believe what some have labeled "science." As in the science of global warming.

And I don't know what religion you are refering to but there is plenty to support the fact the Jesus did exist. Not many dispute this. His miracles, his rise from the dead, documented by many.

Myth, legend? I don't think so. . . Now the "myth" of global warming, that's something we can debate.

Oh, and I know, I know. This is not a religious debate but a discussion about global warming, and take it to the religion forum if we want to discuss this. However, I am just responding to a poster who decided to throw religion into the mix.
Some non-religous people have faith in global warming. They hope it is not a myth, and that it will give them power over others.

It's all about power. Always.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:24 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
Quote:
Are you being facetious? If you think SARS isn't a threat you are smoking crack. The reason you aren't dead is because scientists do take SARS seriously. If you really thought SARS wasn't a threat perhaps you should trust in your friendly local witch doctor instead to protect you from the evil spirits you neighbor makes, because he or she is likely a witch.

Science is not a religion and the fact you believe that shows why you think global warming is a hoax. Science isn't about belief at all, it's about evidence and empiricism.

This all comes down to conspiracy theory thinking, which is inherently anti-scientific because it defies the principle of Occam's Razor, which says that good explanations should make as few assumptions as possible. In order to believe Global Warming is a hoax, you'ld have to believe that most of the climate scientists are shills for these so-called "green corporations" and "enviro-wackos", you'ld have to believe they'd doctor and fake reports, and so on.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:50 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
I won't try to argue global warming. I believe it is happening, and that we are accelerating it. Arguing with people that don't believe it though is futile.

I do believe we need to require the auto industry to improve their standards (and not sit around and wait for the market to require it) because the exhaust in large cities affects peoples health (ozone, smog etc.).

Even better, I think we should offer people large incentives to bike to work and live closer to work. Yes I know the market might fix this, but it will take forever for gas to rise in prices high enough, and plus there is still a social stigma about people who commute on bikes. An additional monetary incentive could fix this. (don't ask me exactly how, I'm still thinking about that) We could get healthier people less smog and ozone and gas prices would drop due to a lesser demand.

I've ridden a bike to work a lot and been stuck dealing with traffic, and trust me a Hummer is a lot worse than a Prius.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I won't try to argue global warming. I believe it is happening, and that we are accelerating it. Arguing with people that don't believe it though is futile.
You believe. And I respect your right to believe. But doesn't mean it is true.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
You believe. And I respect your right to believe. But doesn't mean it is true.
Yes but I'm not arguing for change for that reason or glorifying Al Gore or degrading him. I'm arguing that car exhaust is not good for your lungs and we should force higher emission standards because it will help everyone except maybe a few executives and stockholders. Most people will not do anything about this though because it isn't as looming a threat as terrorism. It greatly affects the costof healthcare and quality of life though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies