Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,665,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
First of all what is an assault weapon? Please explain this to me and i will MAYBE take your response somewhat seriously.

Nobody wants military grade hardware in a mass murderers hands , and all gun owners support safety and common sense laws. The problem is that it is such few incidents that you are trying to compare here. How many mass shootings have we had? How come we never heard about them much before Obama ?

This is like trying to tell a Ferrari car collector he cant have them anymore because a few people have died from them or someone used them to run over people in a mass attempt.

So please tell me why some states wanted to reduce magazine rounds down to 6 or 7 bullets max capacity ? Do you understand that would BAN almost every gun? The problem is that states have been passing laws to lower the magazine capacity , one day its 15 then 10 then 8 then 4 then 0.... Do you see how it works? This is the problem. Its a crippling effect, you give a little and they take a mile.
And let me say I want guns to remain legal in America, and I feel republicans threaten our legal gun culture more than democrats do.

I can show you sources that show the MAJORITY of Americans do not personally own guns (and do not care about owning guns), and I can show you sources that say American police officers don't like assault weapons or high capacity mags being in the hands of criminals.

You said you give them an inch and they take a mile, but they already have several yards. Large numbers of states have already passed gun control laws.

The Gun Control Targets: States Where Laws Have Passed - NationalJournal.com

And every shooting that happens gives the anti-gun Americans more momentum and more power.

Today the American majority who does not own guns or care about guns is getting gun control laws passed.

And whats the republicans response to this powerful group of gun hating Americans?
Answer: Republicans refuse to have conversations with the anti-gun Americans, and they say all guns and all magazines should be kept legal.

I personally believe America's gun lovers need to work with the anti-gun Americans, and take (large) gun control steps themselves, to satisfy the anti-gun majority.

I'm actually worried about America loosing our 100% legal gun culture someday, and if it ever happens its going to be the republicans fault. Because when children are killed in schools with assault weapons the republican response is this, "we are going to keep assault weapons legal." And republicans say this even when the voting majority of America does not own guns (and while they are passing gun control laws in many states.)

Last edited by chad3; 04-11-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There are many medical doctors who are equally trained to protect our health, yet support gun rights. In fact, there is a whole organization of doctors who support gun rights.

Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership

Thus, your portrayal that doctors march in lockstep on this issue is false.

As far as Pres. Obama, all I did was recite one of his positions, recite a claim made by his VP, and a quote from his Attorney General. Is recounting of someone's stated position an attack on him? I suppose so, from the lefty perspective. This is not the first time I've seen a right-winger quote a leftwinger's own words, and have it characterized as an attack.
Your source says "DRGO Welcomes other health professionals and students who are alarmed at organized medicine’s attempts to promote gun control."

My post described what your source said "organized medicine’s attempts to promote gun control."

And your source says those doctors are connected to the Claremont Institute (that's a conservative think tank.)

http://claremont.org/index.php?act=home&id=103

That's not the study of medicine, rather its a bunch of doctors who listen to the corporate controlled Fox news and Rush radio.

Those freak doctors are bringing politics into medicine. Fact is a doctors job is to protect our health, and guns kill many Americans. And as your source reminds us (organized medicine considers guns to be a danger to public health.)

Old 04-12-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Hmmm...which of these are "assault weapons?"

http://acolumbinesite.com/weapon.html
All the weapons used in the Columbine shootings were either assault weapons or illegal weapons.

The TEC-DC9 9-mm is officially classified as a assault weapon.

"After the Cleveland School massacre, the TEC-9 was in California's list of banned weapons. Following its use in the 101 California Street shootings and the Columbine High School massacre, California amended its Assault Weapons Control Act to ban firearms having features such as barrel shrouds (like the TEC-DC9.)"

TEC-9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Hi Point Carbine has been designated an "assault weapon" in the State of Connecticut.
Hi-Point Carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other two guns used by the Columbine shooters were sawed off shotguns. If you look at their pictures in your above link you will see they are very illegal sawed off shotgun's.

Most mass murderers use assault weapons (and perhaps also other illegal and criminal looking guns, like the 2 sawed off shotguns used by the Columbine shooters.)

Sawed-off shotgun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2014, 12:43 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,516,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
All the weapons used in the Columbine shootings were either assault weapons or illegal weapons.

The TEC-DC9 9-mm is officially classified as a assault weapon.

"After the Cleveland School massacre, the TEC-9 was in California's list of banned weapons. Following its use in the 101 California Street shootings and the Columbine High School massacre, California amended its Assault Weapons Control Act to ban firearms having features such as barrel shrouds (like the TEC-DC9.)"

TEC-9 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Hi Point Carbine has been designated an "assault weapon" in the State of Connecticut.
Hi-Point Carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The other two guns used by the Columbine shooters were sawed off shotguns. If you look at their pictures in your above link you will see they are very illegal sawed off shotgun's.

Most mass murderers use assault weapons (and perhaps also other illegal and criminal looking guns, like the 2 sawed off shotguns used by the Columbine shooters.)

Sawed-off shotgun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Assault rifles make it into the news, but they are very, very rarely used to commit murder.
Pistols are the problem, assault weapons aren't.

More people drown in bathtubs each year than are murdered with a rifle of any kind. About 20% more.

If we were to get rid of all rifle homicides, (not just assault rifles) and even assuming a person didn't use a pistol to kill with instead, we would reduce the number of homicides by maybe 2%.

Assault rifles are generally too expensive, the bullets are too expensive, and they aren't easily concealable.
That's why a cheap pistol kills a lot more people than assault rifles.

School shooting are also very rare. Kids get killed at home and outside of school by guns all too often. But school is the safest 8 hours of a child's life.

Assault rifles, hi capacity magazines, and school shooting are things people care too much about but have very little real world impact. Criminologist generally see them as tools for political posturing but not a source or real concern.

Pistols are the real killers in terms of homicides, and even those rarely occur at school.
(Although I admitted don't have the data on Tech-9's. They may be considered a pistol by official statistics.)

Old 04-12-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Thank you for the laugh , it was great. See, i know about guns and i know you have no clue about them from what you just posted. Sipping the kool aid much i see huh? Your response doesnt make sense and neither is it facts. You sound too much like Dianne Feinstein.

Those weapons used are not assault weapons, thats a made up term or word. If i throw a spoon at you and it causes injury or assault to you , then a spoon is now considered an assault weapon on this idea correct?

So why are handguns not banned since a lot of them resemble a 1911 ? Many guns have pistol grips on them such as handguns , shotguns , and rifles. These so called features you list do not impact the guns ability on damage. I have never seen anyone carry a grenade launcher.

Please dont quote me with nonsense bull**** , i was asking YOU to tell me personally , not copy and paste liberal propaganda.
I live in New Orleans La. its called the "sportsman's paradise."

I got my first bb gun to use (unattended) when I was around 9 years old.
High powered pellet gun at around 10 years old.
Then a 410 shotgun.
Then a 22 semi-auto rifle.
Then a semi-auto 20 gauge shotgun.
ex.ex.ex.

Judging by the way you talk, I would bet when I was 16 years old, I had more experience and more overall knowledge about guns than you will ever have.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,907,727 times
The problem with Columbine and Sandy Hook was there was nobody was armed and able to return fire and possibly stop these crazed killers from doing as much damage as they did. The primary illusion of the gun grabbers is if we lived in a gun free society there would be no mass killings. They do not want to face the fact that these killings were done by dangerous people not dangerous guns. As we have recently seen knives are also available in any home kitchen. We need to, as we once did, recognize that there are dangerous, murderous children, and adults, out there and do something to keep these people away from potential victims.

Control the crazies not the guns.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:44 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,774,216 times
Quote:
And let me say I want guns to remain legal in America, and I feel republicans threaten our legal gun culture more than democrats do.

I can show you sources that show the MAJORITY of Americans do not personally own guns (and do not care about owning guns), and I can show you sources that say American police officers don't like assault weapons or high capacity mags being in the hands of criminals.

You said you give them an inch and they take a mile, but they already have several yards. Large numbers of states have already passed gun control laws.

The Gun Control Targets: States Where Laws Have Passed - NationalJournal.com

And every shooting that happens gives the anti-gun Americans more momentum and more power.

Today the American majority who does not own guns or care about guns is getting gun control laws passed.

And whats the republicans response to this powerful group of gun hating Americans?
Answer: Republicans refuse to have conversations with the anti-gun Americans, and they say all guns and all magazines should be kept legal.

I personally believe America's gun lovers need to work with the anti-gun Americans, and take (large) gun control steps themselves, to satisfy the anti-gun majority.

I'm actually worried about America loosing our 100% legal gun culture someday, and if it ever happens its going to be the republicans fault. Because when children are killed in schools with assault weapons the republican response is this, "we are going to keep assault weapons legal." And republicans say this even when the voting majority of America does not own guns (and while they are passing gun control laws in many states.)
Ever watched the documentaries regarding the uprising of alcohol prohibition? Their tactics are just as similar to the gun control movement.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:46 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,662,515 times
Quote:
I live in New Orleans La. its called the "sportsman's paradise."

I got my first bb gun to use (unattended) when I was around 9 years old.
High powered pellet gun at around 10 years old.
Then a 410 shotgun.
Then a 22 semi-auto rifle.
Then a semi-auto 20 gauge shotgun.
ex.ex.ex.

Judging by the way you talk, I would bet when I was 16 years old, I had more experience and more overall knowledge about guns than you will ever have.
Right on buddy ! I called you out on your copy and paste nonsense. I grew up and lived in Texas for half my life and now live in NJ. I have my share of knowledge , I own a few guns , and I am active with the gun culture.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,896,281 times
The NRA needs to sell more guns and ammo.... marketing to gun desires trumps health care every time...

Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,662,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The NRA needs to sell more guns and ammo.... marketing to gun desires trumps health care every time...
Might want to ban alcohol and cigarettes if you are that concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies