Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Here we pay people not to work at all, making them work six hours a day would never fly.
....and where would this be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
....and where would this be?
Think real hard

Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
More free time = more time to spend money you don't have. The Swedes are soft.
Or, more time to save money:

-More time to shop for deals
-More time to cook meals yourself instead of eating out
-More time to work on the garden
-More time to do car repairs yourself
-More time to do home improvements yourself
-More time spent on your investments
-More time to make things yourself instead of buying them
-More time to mow the lawn instead of paying the neighbor's kid $20
-More time to clean the house instead of paying a maid to do it
-More time to do your own taxes instead of paying someone
-More time spent on health and fitness to save money on medical bills

Personally, if I worked 6 hours instead of 8-9, I would probably get the same amount done, possibly more. Burnout really eats into productivity.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The fact that you would have half of the day to yourself is enough incentive to get the work done faster and better and just stay focused during that time, instead of just being super tired by the end of the day that you don't mind using half of your day at work to do other things.
*packing my bags to move to Sweden*

Old 04-08-2014, 04:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Here we pay people not to work at all, making them work six hours a day would never fly.
Correct. 6 hours of work per day would be a huge increase for millions of Americans. Productivity would skyrocket.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correct. 6 hours of work per day would be a huge increase for millions of Americans. Productivity would skyrocket.
Since so much of a workday is spent waiting for other people to do stuff or having meetings about why stuff isn't getting done, maybe having a six hour workday will light a fire under some of these people. I could easily get 7 hours of work done in 6 if I thought about it a bit.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM

109 posts, read 91,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Or, more time to save money:

-More time to shop for deals
-More time to cook meals yourself instead of eating out
-More time to work on the garden
-More time to do car repairs yourself
-More time to do home improvements yourself
-More time spent on your investments
-More time to make things yourself instead of buying them
-More time to mow the lawn instead of paying the neighbor's kid $20
-More time to clean the house instead of paying a maid to do it
-More time to do your own taxes instead of paying someone
-More time spent on health and fitness to save money on medical bills

Personally, if I worked 6 hours instead of 8-9, I would probably get the same amount done, possibly more. Burnout really eats into productivity.

There are those of us who work 40-45 hours a week and do all of the above ourselves too.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Good point. Going from no hours to 6 hours a day would be a shock to the system.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM

231 posts, read 382,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no federal law that defines a work week for those paid by the hour. The law does however require those working more than 40 hours, be paid OT.

Most full time, paid by the hour, do not work 40 hours a week and this includes most of those covered under bargaining agreements.

My first full time, paid by the hour, job, back in the 70's required a 36.25 hour work week. The time between 36.25-40, was paid as straight time and hours in excess of 40 were paid at 1.5 rate.

Not always true...As is I work at least a 10 hour day 5 days a week. But I get paid salary so they can do that without paying overtime. The company I work for sends the other people home, but if the job isn't done after they have worked their 8, then it is on me to finish since they don't have to pay me extra.

That reminds me, not only is over 40 over time, but in California, if you are hourly and work over 8 hours a day you are supposed to get paid OT.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2020 View Post
There are those of us who work 40-45 hours a week and do all of the above ourselves too.
Yup. Last time I looked there were 168 hours in a week and most people have 2 days a week off of work. If you sleep 7 hours a night (most adults do not sleep 8 so I see no point in doing the calculation with 8), work 45 hours and commute 5 hours, you have 69 hours a week home. That's 53% more time than you spend at work and most of us get a lot done at work.

My only complaint about working full time is the good garage sale bargains happen on Thursday. By the time Saturday rolls around, you might as well not bother going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies