Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:18 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just make sure she can quantify how good she is and why she is worth what ever dollar amount she is asking for.
Absolutely! That won't be hard for her to do. She contributes much to her department and the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM

26,536 posts, read 15,102,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My daughter has a degree and five years of experience in her field.

She was hired about a year ago at the company she now works for.

Recently, the company hired two males, both with two years of experience.

My daughter and these two males do the same work.

These two males are already making $5-10k more a year than my daughter.

The company wants my daughter (and all employees) to sign a form called 'Gender Equity', wherein she has to agree that there is no difference in pay between men and women.

She has yet to sign it...

Just wanted to add that she is a grade above these two guys, also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Your daughter needs to renegotiate her pay. The economy in many places was very different 2-3 years ago.any people were willing to work for less money, now that the economy in certain sectors picks back up, employers have to pay more to get quality employees.

If she agreed to work for her current pay level pay why would the employeer up her pay if she does not ask for it?
Fox,
In all seriousness, shooting is giving great advice. If there isn't a legitimate reason for the pay discrepancy then renegotiate the salary. Some skills/degrees are hard to come by and my wife has had to get the higher ups to sign off on bigger pay to get qualified electrical engineers in (as well as other positions). So recent hires are "arguably" over paid compared to past hires. This has caused a bit of tension with a few employees who had to renegotiate their salaries...the good employees got raises the bad ones were given the option to leave.

A lot of people are interviewing with other companies that don't even want to leave the company - just as a tool to get a raise. My wife has seen both sides of it.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
Maybe Obama should practice what he preaches. Because as Obama preaches about pay equity with his lips, female White House staffers earn $0.88 to every dollar males do.

The New York Times

As Obama Spotlights Gender Gap in Wages, His Own Payroll Draws Scrutiny
By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and ANNIE LOWREY APRIL 7, 2014

Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
All this is just a show to get Obama's based riled up.
Do you mean that conservative women will not benefit from this? Are you suggesting that conservative women will refuse an increase in pay just to defy Obama?

Or are you suggesting that all women are part of Obama's base?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 PM

26,536 posts, read 15,102,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree very much with this article about the pay disparity in nursing.
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...221330791.html
**Even among men and women in the same nursing occupations, men outearn women. Women working full time, year-round earn 93 cents for every dollar men take earn as registered nurses, 89 cents to the dollar among nurse anesthetists, 87 cents to the dollar among nurse practitioners, and 91 cents among licensed vocational nurses, according to the study.**

And the funny thing is, in these newsletters I get from the nursing board, men are more likely than women to do things that cause them to lose their licenses, e.g. steal narcotics, be alcoholics, etc.

Yes, there's definitely a cultural thing going on with wages, at least in nursing.
Katiana,
I am sure there is some level of discrimination going on in wages at various places across the country - I do not think it is the primary driver in the pay gap.

I am sincerely wondering your opinion of my original post starting this thread. Do you think public schools are discriminating in pay, despite having union contracts that pay based on years worked, extra duties chosen, level of college degree? I sincerely feel that my public school pays the genders fairly.

Is it possible that men choose more additional work and etc and that is the primary reason why they get higher pay in public schools with union contracts dictating pay? Maybe society discriminates with gender roles so men work more - but is that on the public school? I would say no.

Also, with your nursing example, men on average work about 10% more hours a year and are much more likely to work significant hours. If this is true among full time workers, could it very well be true of nurses nationwide?

If employee A works ~10% more hours than employee B, is it not to be assumed shocking if employee A is more likely to get a raise and makes ~10% more in pay??? If the average man works ~10% more hours than the average woman, is it not shocking to see the average man make ~10% more in the same job?

I do think pay discrimination is wrong, when and where it happens. However, if a woman works 10% more than a male coworker, I would expect her to get 10% more pay and be more in line for a raise.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:37 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,117,738 times
Apples and oranges.

When you take an average of all men and women you don't take into account that the "Average" woman will have children and that takes her out of the workforce and therefore she has less experience.

Plug in Equal education and equal experience, and I bet the #s will be very close. Due to women being out of of the work force due to child rearing the # will never be equal.

There are some roles that will never change. Moms, Front line soldiers, and firemen come to mind.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Do you mean that conservative women will not benefit from this? Are you suggesting that conservative women will refuse an increase in pay just to defy Obama?

Or are you suggesting that all women are part of Obama's base?
I was always paid well. Because my work and work ethics was worth it.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree very much with this article about the pay disparity in nursing.
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-e...221330791.html
**Even among men and women in the same nursing occupations, men outearn women. Women working full time, year-round earn 93 cents for every dollar men take earn as registered nurses, 89 cents to the dollar among nurse anesthetists, 87 cents to the dollar among nurse practitioners, and 91 cents among licensed vocational nurses, according to the study.**

And the funny thing is, in these newsletters I get from the nursing board, men are more likely than women to do things that cause them to lose their licenses, e.g. steal narcotics, be alcoholics, etc.

Yes, there's definitely a cultural thing going on with wages, at least in nursing.
Unless I see a SOLID statistical analysis that isolates all variables including geographical, overtime, shift differentials and a host of other factors.....I'm going to remain unconvinced. Certainly not some blog by someone with little education on how to conduct a proper analysis.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I was always paid well. Because my work and work ethics was worth it.
Yeah, me, too.

I'm making over $75k a year without even a high school diploma

My spelling and grammar are better than yours, also! LOL

Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Katiana,
I am sure there is some level of discrimination going on in wages at various places across the country - I do not think it is the primary driver in the pay gap.

I am sincerely wondering your opinion of my original post starting this thread. Do you think public schools are discriminating in pay, despite having union contracts that pay based on years worked, extra duties chosen, level of college degree? I sincerely feel that my public school pays the genders fairly.

Is it possible that men choose more additional work and etc and that is the primary reason why they get higher pay in public schools with union contracts dictating pay? Maybe society discriminates with gender roles so men work more - but is that on the public school? I would say no.

Also, with your nursing example, men on average work about 10% more hours a year and are much more likely to work significant hours. If this is true among full time workers, could it very well be true of nurses nationwide?

If employee A works ~10% more hours than employee B, is it not to be assumed shocking if employee A is more likely to get a raise and makes ~10% more in pay??? If the average man works ~10% more hours than the average woman, is it not shocking to see the average man make ~10% more in the same job?

I do think pay discrimination is wrong, when and where it happens. However, if a woman works 10% more than a male coworker, I would expect her to get 10% more pay and be more in line for a raise.
Schools have hard and fast contract rules, so it seems. I've seen those matrices: bachelor's + x hrs of grad school at y years, etc. Do the schools have any flexibility, can they jump a person up some steps even if they don't have the quals? For ex, can they say, well, with your education and experience you should be here, but we're going to move you up a few steps? I am being sincere. The thing with nursing salaries, like those in most of the free market, is that admin has a lot of discretion. They can give you a 2% raise or a 10% raise (though that would be extreme, just using it for an example).In my district, coaching is a separate pay issue; coaches get paid for coaching a sport, and it came out a few years ago that football coaches were being paid more than tennis coaches, etc. So that shouldn't figure into their teaching salaries. Same with sponsoring clubs and such.

I don't know that it's true that men work 10% more hours than women. I've read articles that say that when men "have to" (read choose to) leave early to pick up a kid, go to a kid's sporting/school event, whatever, they are far more likely than women to just disappear and not take any type of PTO for the missing hours, whereas women are more likely to put in for PTO. That has certainly been the case with my DH, who seems to always have a pretty flexible jobs. Now he seldom does this, but there never seems to be a problem when he does. Nurses, like teachers, can't usually leave before they're supposed to. We can't leave the patients; you can't leave the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies