Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If you like your lettuce and broccoli and brussel sprouts and green beans and peas, you better hope the atmospheric CO2 level stays high enough for them to grow! If you like meat, you better hope the grass and hay grows as well.
CO2 is NOT a pollutant. It is absolutely necessary to maintain life on this ball of rock and mud.
Some people need to look up CO2 levels in pre-human times. The facts are enlightening!
The environmental lobby was responsible for the move to wood stoves because they believed that more hydro and nuclear energy was a Bad Thing. Then them wood stoves created all that pollution that led to these spare the air days.

Then they succeeded in lobbying against paper bags, forcing retailers to go to plastic. Now they are anti plastic and are forcing retailers to go back to paper.

Geez, they are wrong at every step. But we should follow their advice yet again? On something so critical as climate?

Last edited by chuckmann; 04-16-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM

15,066 posts, read 8,627,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again you have blown your case for AGW global warming with this statement. thank you.
Yes ... just a measley 5-7 degree difference ... not much at all. But according to the warmist extremists, such a change now would destroy the planet!

You can't expect a straight story from these looney tunes ... it's like trying to nail jello to a wall.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
because green energy isnt cheap. wind power needs expensive generators that break down often, and are often times not running. and heaven forbid the wind blows too fast, like 30mph.

and right now solar energy is far too inefficient to produce inexpensive power, and with the new regulations on coal fired power plants, as well as gas fired power plants, those costs get passed on to the consumer, so your green energy bonus gets sucked up in the governments greed to redistribute the wealth.
You and I know that, but the greenies dont give a flying you know what about poor and working people, let alone the middle class. they want us impoverished, and themselves in charge of every aspect of our lives.

PS I believe that ALL coal fired plants should be decommissioned and that we should get ALL of our electricity from carbon free nuclear and hydro. Just so you know.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM

679 posts, read 614,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
You and I know that, but the greenies dont give a flying you know what about poor and working people, let alone the middle class. they want us impoverished, and themselves in charge of every aspect of our lives.

PS I believe that ALL coal fired plants should be decommissioned and that we should get ALL of our electricity from carbon free nuclear and hydro. Just so you know.
Just like to say yes, thank you, carbon free nuclear and hydro and no coal. 100% agreement. I hate the state that nuclear power has been driven to b/c crazy environmental people keeping the development stifled as much as possible. Living in NC also has me at an even more negative stance with coal given the whole Duke idiocy of late.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Let us face it no amount of warming is going to destroy the planet. Even the asteroid that made the planet untenable for the dinosaurs did not destroy the planet. The most that might happen is the environment that supports Homo Industrailis may degrade. That might cost many lives and even more money but it is unlikely to destroy either all people or all profit. Or even most.

Let the Great CO2 Experiment continue and see what happens. I only hope that someone is around to take notes and publish a paper for someone to read.

Last edited by GregW; 04-16-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
The nuclear industry was not stifled by the enviros but by big oil and bigger coal. Nuclear had threatened their monopoly on electrical power generation.

IMHO we need to implement the development of inherently safe High Temperature Gas Cooled Reactors with complete fuel recycling and breeding so we can have a nearly infinite electrical power supply. That would be an environmental paradise. No coal burned, less petroleum wasted and really clean air.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:50 PM

[quote=GuyNTexas;34395855]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

You both seem to be a little off ... you way off

It was, according to that chart approximately 3 to 4 degrees C warmer at the peak of the last three interglacial periods than today. That's roughly 5 to 7 degrees F warmer than today, which far exceeds the dire predictions of the alarmists who insist that the world would end by such warming ... yet here we are.

The more telling thing about the chart is that if we follow the same pattern as the previous three interglacial periods, and there is no reason to believe otherwise, we are indeed sitting on the precipice of entering the next glacial period .... if you simply use your eyes.

This fits the prediction being made by those who are using solar cycles as the driver of climate, and they have been correct so far, and if you overlay the solar cycles, minimum and maximums during the same periods of this chart, you'd see that they fit nicely .... with the global temperatures following those solar cycles like a faithful puppy dog.

Of course, leave it to the smart humans to need countless billions of dollars and untold hours of scientific research to conclude that the sun and it's cycles of intensity are what makes the world warmer and cooler.

We figured this out as children ... all by ourselves ...
Always a pleasure reading the posts of someone who can think, rather that spout propaganda.

I wonder why the alarmists ignore the Little Ice Age? I wonder why they ignore (or are ignorant of) the Milankovitch cycle? I wonder why they seem unaware of the north polar precession cycle and the tilt of the earth influence?

Yep, CO2 is The Devil, and once one has discovered the devil, He is everywhere!!!!

As an aside but relevant, I am type 2 diabetic, so I can say with experience that once doctors determine one is diabetic, they are unable to look at anything else that can not be attributed to diabetic symptoms. In psychology it is called a scotoma, something that blinds one to the truth of the matter.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Just like to say yes, thank you, carbon free nuclear and hydro and no coal. 100% agreement. I hate the state that nuclear power has been driven to b/c crazy environmental people keeping the development stifled as much as possible. Living in NC also has me at an even more negative stance with coal given the whole Duke idiocy of late.
i agree that we should phase out coal fired power plants, again not because we "need to reduce our carbon footprint", but rather to eliminate a source of particulate emissions that can be harmful. but we do need to replace those plants somehow, and while nuclear and hydro power both are also favored by me, we can build only so many dams on the rivers in this country, and tidal power generation creates a hazard to navigation, and wind power as we currently have it set up is fugly, and inefficient. however piezoelectric carbon rods that look like tall grass is one way to clean up the look of wind generators and produce the same amount of power at the same time.

i am all for alternative energy to push the technology, and we can use the coal in liquid form to power our automobiles, until such time as solar panels and battery technology reaches the point where we can eliminate the internal combustion engine from our day to day drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Let us face it no amount of warming is going to destroy the planet.
thats not exactly true. when our star begins to die it will expand out to or near the orbit of the earth, and that will kill the planet almost completely if it doesnt reach the orbit, or if it does the earth will cease to exist. fortunately that wont happen for another 4 billion years or so.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Here's some science form the US government that frightens you to death...

Source: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/abrup...me-fuji-lg.gif

Then answer the following:

1] Why is average global temperature 10.8°F colder than the last Inter-Glacial Period?

2] Why is this Inter-Glacial Period colder than the last 3 Inter-Glacial Periods shown in your government's graph?

Unless and until those questions can be answered, there is no evidence suggesting global warming is real.

https://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and...sts-3-1-1.html

This....0.13°C ± 0.03°C per decade is the equivalent of 0.234°F per decade.

At that rate, it would take more than 460 years -- almost 5 centuries -- for temperatures to increase 10.8°F and reach the same global average as the last Inter-Glacial Period.

I'm sorry...did the Earth end during the last Inter-Glacial Period?

What?

I can't hear you....

Mircea

The black line in your source represents temperature changes.
The blue line in your source represents atmospheric CO2 levels.

The black and blue lines in your source follow each other almost exactly.

Will you concede that high levels of CO2 in the atmosphere increase the Earths temperature?

Last edited by chad3; 04-16-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
once again you have blown your case for AGW global warming with this statement. thank you.
How does the fact that temps today are the same as the last interglacial period have anything to do with what is happening today?...It doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies