Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 PM

15,567 posts, read 10,565,173 times

Advertisements

He'll probably really kill himself after he get's the hospital bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,278,108 times
Tell me any good reason why traffic couldn't have been allowed to proceed at, for instance, 5 miles an hour with a spotter that could then have stopped traffic if he did jump?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:27 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,334,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Tell me any good reason why traffic couldn't have been allowed to proceed at, for instance, 5 miles an hour with a spotter that could then have stopped traffic if he did jump?
I have no idea. Especially since BOTH sides had to be shut down. That's ridiculous!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,465,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I suggest you seek counseling to help deal with the problems you are dealing with. If you don't think you "inconvenience" someone by killing yourself in private, then you haven't thought about the people who have to find you like that and the trauma they have to live with.

As for the jumper, the police did the right thing and those inconvenienced by the traffic will live, I am sure it isn't the first time people in LA sat in traffic.
Every now and then the stars align and I agree with something you've written. This would be one of those times.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,359,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Of Four View Post
Someone should have pushed him.
Evidently, you have four kids.
If one of them was going through a hard time or crisis, you'd want someone to push them?
Good to know.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,230,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
For 3 hours on Thursday evening, motorists in Los Angeles were left stranded on the highway because a suicidal man was threatening to jump off an overpass.
So? It's not like you're driving around in a 1969 Pontiac GTO with a cheap "Selectronic" DELCO radio that gets AM only if the ionosphere is heavily ionized.

"Selectronic"....you know, you push a selector to manually move the radio dial marker to the AM station of your choice instead of having to dial it in.

You got all the comforts of home in your care...DVD, CD, video games, telephone, AM/FM/Satellite...what more do you want?

Mircea

Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So? It's not like you're driving around in a 1969 Pontiac GTO with a cheap "Selectronic" DELCO radio that gets AM only if the ionosphere is heavily ionized.

"Selectronic"....you know, you push a selector to manually move the radio dial marker to the AM station of your choice instead of having to dial it in.

You got all the comforts of home in your care...DVD, CD, video games, telephone, AM/FM/Satellite...what more do you want?

Mircea
I don't see the need to shut down both sides of the highway for a suicidal man. As much as he wanted to die, he would've preferred getting help. Those who are seriously suicidal will actually try to do it, not threaten to do it.

What more do I want? I want to win the Mega Millions this week before someone else does.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,056,707 times
I recall being at my local train station and the train was being delayed because somebody had killed themselves by jumping infront of an earlier train. There was a women who was furious that she was going to be late for work and was ranting/raving about how much of an inconvenience it was. Meanwhile somebody was being scraped off the tracks.

The mind truly boggles.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,230,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I don't see the need to shut down both sides of the highway for a suicidal man.
Maybe the cops were Liberals and punished everyone to be "fair."

Equality...it's fun...and time-consuming....

Mircea

Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I recall being at my local train station and the train was being delayed because somebody had killed themselves by jumping infront of an earlier train. There was a women who was furious that she was going to be late for work and was ranting/raving about how much of an inconvenience it was. Meanwhile somebody was being scraped off the tracks.

The mind truly boggles.
Yeah, it IS an inconvenience. I know what it's like to want to die. The last thing I would want to do is make it difficult for them to remove my body or put someone else's life at risk. Hence why when I was suicidal jumping in front of an object, jumping off a bridge, jumping into the ocean, or shooting myself are off limits.

You don't know that woman's situation. She could've just started a job and be on that probation period. Maybe she gets paid by the hour and needs every dollar she can make (76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Maybe the cops were Liberals and punished everyone to be "fair."

Equality...it's fun...and time-consuming....

Mircea
Maybe you're right... After all, this IS California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies