Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It isn't a big issue.....I write off all fuel costs.

I need trucks most of the time......big trucks.
Okay, then what's the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The economy.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 PM

379 posts, read 580,487 times
Am I the only one that remembers how much news coverage was dedicated to Bush, Halibuton, and his TX buddies rigging gas prices?

If you are a lib and make different excuses, just face the fact you are a hypocrite.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
"I drive a TDI clean diesel." I drive one in the warm months too. love getting 50mpg.
yeah diesel is cheaper than gas now. $3.86/gal as opposed to 4.09 for gas. in IL land of the perpetually high gas taxes. I recently saw a breakdown/itemization of what the taxes are for a gallon. Absolutely ridiculous.
Theory I heard now is that because the fuel now contains ethanol, the drought of last summer caused corn prices to go up. Now the fuel is more expensive.
Here in IL we also have that "switchover" periods to deal with "winter fuel" to "summer blend" and in the meantime, if you are burning winter fuel and it is we have a warm day, your car runs like cr*p. I don't know how many people I have heard over the last couple weeks complaining their car is running bad. The switchovers are a reason gas prices are high here I have been hearing.
Last year, they were still working on the whiting refinery project and the supplies were being interrupted. I think they are done with that now. One excuse after the other I tell ya....

Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The economy.
And? Gas prices went down when the economy crashed, should the economy crash again so you can get more cheap gas?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
When guessing is all you've got, it's the only card you have to play.

Nope.

No bogus talking points from me. Exxon-Mobil, Texaco-Chevron, etc supply more than enough to go around. Some in the public swallow it hook, line, and sinker, too.

Maybe you're just a young, naive guy. This has been going on for decades. Each spring, as the public starts driving more after a long winter, the oil companies claim the price increase is due to "reforumulating" for warmer weather. My thought is that after so many years, maybe they should have this process figured out to be efficient enough that it doesn't involve a big bump in price.

Unless that big bump in price is due to other factors.
Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but the oil companies did n't. Maybe they could n"t due to EPA regulations, and maybe that is the same reasons no new oil refineries are being built. There is other reasons for spike in gas prices I agree with that.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Those at the lower end are having problems making ends meet because the government is making sure that commodities are propped up. That the issue.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"I drive a TDI clean diesel." I drive one in the warm months too. love getting 50mpg.
yeah diesel is cheaper than gas now. $3.86/gal as opposed to 4.09 for gas. in IL land of the perpetually high gas taxes. I recently saw a breakdown/itemization of what the taxes are for a gallon. Absolutely ridiculous.
In most places diesel is more expensive than gas.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
If production is up domestically and we still have steady supplies from South America and the Middle East?

Way is the Department of Energy and Obama trying to stabilize price and the speculators really drive me crazy. They raise pricing when there is no shortage?

What up with that?
What's up? An incredibly high level of ignorance on your part.

EPA Tier 3.

Get it?

It's not rocket science....

Mircea

Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Those at the lower end are having problems making ends meet because the government is making sure that commodities are propped up. That the issue.
Well if cities in general had alternative transportation options so that people wouldn't have to depend on a car then that wouldn't be as much of a problem for working class poor, but we currently have too many parts of this country where alternative transportation is inadequate and poorly funded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies