Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times

Advertisements

Do you have any actual real evidence to support your claim? One biased study is not proof, you need to be careful about such studies, there are MILLIONS of such "studies" that exist and come out, all saying very different things. Some may say Libertarians are more intelligent, others may say they are less so, who is right? Neither. These are "studies" that are heavily flawed and serve no purpose other than to reaffirm people's own biases. It's like feeding yourself propaganda, just because it makes you feel good about yourself doesn't make it true. It's important to keep an objective mind about such matters, remain a critical thinker. You will find intelligent and not so intelligent people in all political parties and ideologues.

As for my personal view on Libertarianism? I used to be one a long time ago, and I do agree with some of their views. However they are not pro-life, they have no pro-life platform, and I will not vote for any candidate or register with any party platform that is not also pro-life. They also lack understanding of Foreign Policy, we cannot have an isolationist nation, it is a global nation of Free Trade and this must be protected. We must have a voice and a presence in the world. I believe in small Government, but Libertarians take this a bit too far. We also do need some social values, without them we would have no morals. Libertarians are conservatives too, I identify as a conservative Republican with some Libertarian views, but much of Libertarianism it's self seems a bit naive to me, hence when I was one I was very young. 19 years old Ron Paul fan. Kind of interesting though, most young people are Liberals, I was a young Libertarian who became a young conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 02:45 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Libertarians are not super intelligent. They do however possess enough common sense to understand that the 2 major parties are just tools of a corrupt system.

That being said, it is a damn shame that this level of common sense is possessed by such a small minority of people these days.

It just goes to prove the success of television as a tool of propaganda.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Interesting topic, but...
Why does this thread title sound like it was written by Yoda? LOL.

I am not sure why some people invest so much time in labels and generalizations.

Last edited by CDusr; 04-13-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
The main difference between conservatives, libertarians, and liberals is NOT intelligence in my opinion, it's in compassion and altruism. Liberals want society to work together for a better future for everyone. The others want everyone to be working solely for himself/herself (including a small circle of friends and family usually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There you go with that modesty thing again. Don't sabotage yourself that way. Wasn't it the 14th highest?

It's just so easy to claim a high IQ, and many people are really impressed by it. If claiming it is not enough, then it's probably almost as easy to buy actual documentation. It would be a smart business move.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:19 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The main difference between conservatives, libertarians, and liberals is NOT intelligence in my opinion, it's in compassion and altruism. Liberals want society to work together for a better future for everyone. The others want everyone to be working solely for himself/herself (including a small circle of friends and family usually).

It's just so easy to claim a high IQ, and many people are really impressed by it. If claiming it is not enough, then it's probably almost as easy to buy actual documentation. It would be a smart business move.
I think the truly intelligent do not subscribe to any one particular dogma. All "platforms" are filled with both good stuff and garbage. A smart person doesn't just accept the bad along with the good. They take the best of all philosophies and throw away the rest.

While I believe in personal liberties, I also believe this:

"Only a life lived in the service to others is worth living."

--A pretty smart guy with a pretty high IQ

Old 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,479 times
Quote:
The main difference between conservatives, libertarians, and liberals is NOT intelligence in my opinion, it's in compassion and altruism.
You're absolutely correct. Liberals are not compassionate (look at how their policies have served their constituency groups for decades) or altruistic (although they are great at taking other peoples' money).

Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think the truly intelligent do not subscribe to any one particular dogma. All "platforms" are filled with both good stuff and garbage. A smart person doesn't just accept the bad along with the good. They take the best of all philosophies and throw away the rest.

While I believe in personal liberties, I also believe this:

"Only a life lived in the service to others is worth living."

--A pretty smart guy with a pretty high IQ
Maybe you should have your life examined.

"An unexamined life is not worth living."- Socks

"Altruism is notruism."-Hyperthetic

Old 04-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
You're absolutely correct. Liberals are not compassionate (look at how their policies have served their constituency groups for decades) or altruistic (although they are great at taking other peoples' money).
We want access to health care for everyone. You guys only want it for people who can afford it ...... for one example.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:32 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,479 times
Quote:
We want access to health care for everyone. You guys only want it for people who can afford it ...... for one example.
If you want access to health care for everyone, then you're doing a lousy job of it. You actually want control over everyone. That's why liberals are neither compassionate nor altruistic. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:

This is funny. Liberals neither understand compassion or human nature.
Government is tyranny in all forms. It cannot by its nature be anything else, and yet it is the liberals sole tool to dictate "their" vision of fairness on all people. Liberals strive to create ever increasing government tyranny to rule over all aspects of the peoples lives.

Conservatives also want to use the tyranny of government, but primarily to impose their vision of morality.

Of the two the liberals are far more dangerous.

Like the communists who also believed in the superiority of the state, the liberals fail to understand any aspect of human nature. Communism collapsed because the system failed to reward human effort. Liberals likewise pine for a society where failure is rewarded and where effort and success is penalized and discouraged.

Given their complete disregard of, and tendency to ignore the laws of human nature it is very hard to give any credit to liberals as being intelligent in any way. They tend to feel instead of think, and feeling is not intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies