Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
[/b]

They shouldn't have to! Particularly if they have served this country. Typical American syndrome. We take care of everyone but our own....
His major matters.

There is nothing here that suggests he was not accepted because the slot went to a non veteran, an international student or an illegal.

While I can appreciate his passion for his major, he will likely face even stiffer competition finding a job in his field, upon graduation from the school he eventually lands at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,410 times
Wow , i feel bad for this guy not only did he work his ASS off big time , but he served and hit a 4.0 GPA .. I hope he finds something soon.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
His major matters.

There is nothing here that suggests he was not accepted because the slot went to a non veteran, an international student or an illegal.

While I can appreciate his passion for his major, he will likely face even stiffer competition finding a job in his field, upon graduation from the school he eventually lands at.
This, this and more this.

Veteran status is a nice little resume/application bullet, but it is not the linchpin upon which all hiring/admission decisions should be based. I see it as a really solid extra curricular, and I say that as a veteran who served 10 years active duty, got three combat ribbons, expeditionary medals in 3 different theaters, and got my associate's degree, with honors and a 4.0 GPA, prior to leaving active duty. None of that was relevant when I applied to my undergrad university to finish my BS, and a lot of my credits were not transferable to my degree program. Veteran status isn't some gold "get out of all admission rules free" card.

Couple other points the article does not mention, but are questions I would ask, since I help lots and lots of people navigate the post-military college landscape:
  • How many of those "proper number of credit hours" are actually classroom hours in the approved SDSU community college system?
  • How many of those "proper number of credit hours" are directly applicable to a History major?
  • How many of those "proper number of credit hours" are credits the military convinced you are credits based on work experience, that most non-military affiliated universities (re: 98% or so of all colleges) do not recognize?
See, here's the little secret the military won't tell you - colleges are not the military, and the military is not college...it's a job. The military loves selling enlisted on the notion that their 6 year enlistment equals 300 or so credit hours, 4 or 5 bachelors degrees and maybe a masters. Yeah...NOT. It's a job. It's like telling a landscaper that they should stick with landscaping, because landscaping experience equals 126 credit hours of horticulture, or a really up to date Facebook page is 12 hours of computer science. It's a big fat lie. I know all this quite personally, directly, and all of my veteran friends tell the same exact story.

Here's the truth, so tell all your active duty friends who think they are getting a free PhD the day of their EAOS - every college/university in the country wants their bag of money. If you want sheepskin from them, you WILL give them their bag of money.

So very few of your "credits" will transfer, your acceptance will based on future bag of money concerns, the enrollment of the university itself is based on political/bag of money criteria and they only need a certain of number of vets to stay off angry voter radars, and after your service, you're a glorified high school grad with a few more AP credits and one really legit extracurricular activity. Period, end of story.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default NAVY VET WITH PERFECT GPA DENIED TRANSFER TO SAN DIEGO STATE but ILLEGAL ALIENS GET IN

This stinks.

The guy obviously is performing very well at the college level and is well qualified. SDSU should have admitted him.

I didn't see anything referring to him being bumped by illegals, though.

More phony outrage, possibly?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
And the idiot Jeb Bush said that these illegal aliens are committing an "act of love". Since when is law breaking an act of love? Our politicians on both sides of the aisle are starting to stink like dead fish and have stopped representing the interests of the American people.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The guy obviously is performing very well at the college level and is well qualified. SDSU should have admitted him.
Why? Asian students with perfect SATs, >4.0 GPAs, 12-18 AP credit hours, and 2-3 page lists of extracurriculars get turned down for acceptance to colleges and universities all across the country every single year, while less qualified non-Asians get accepted...and the excuse that schools use is that they already have enough Asian people.

Maybe SDSU already has enough History majors who did their first two years at SDSU or a more preferred SDSU-linked community college affiliate, have more or better transferable credits, meet a better race quota criteria than white male Navy vet (which is maybe 20% of San Diego's total population ), or any of hundred other things that put this guy further down the list.

Too many things we simply do not know, and I have seen this way too many times. If anyone is to blame, it's the military for shoving this "veteran status makes you a god" marketing down every enlisted person's throat long enough to get them do crappy work for years on end.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Maybe if the guy had gotten his Associate Degree instead of just a bunch of credits, he would have been accepted. I am tired of people who think they are owed something special just because they VOLUNTEERED to serve.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
78,000 applicants versus 8,000 slots.

22,000 transfer applicants versus 3,000 slots.

It's San Diego which likely has a substantial number of Vets applying for school at any point in time.

The intended major matters which may be why the vet with a 3.48 GPA was accepted.

VA is picking up the tab for his education.

US students compete with international students at most schools.
HUH

Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
The reason they do is because of $$$ usually. Often with public universities there are tuition and sometimes scholarship preferences for in-state (or in some case in multi-state region) students. The result being that the universities make a whole lot more money off of foreign students who often have to pay sticker w/o any financial incentives.

Now if you are for paying the taxes to make this not an issue you can be, but I suspect 99% of the time this probably wouldn't concern you.
Doesn't concern me? I'm a vet..my son is a young vet and I have a daughter trying to get into college. How does this not concern me?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Maybe if the guy had gotten his Associate Degree instead of just a bunch of credits, he would have been accepted. I am tired of people who think they are owed something special just because they VOLUNTEERED to serve.
What's the matter? Couldn't you pass the ASVAB test?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies