Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But if you measure anything at all, from net worth to rates of home ownership to access to quality health care, blacks as a group have it much worse than whites in the country.
What does that have to do with white people?

If someone is in a less desirable state, it is their responsibility to seek and execute improvement.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
This what historians would call revisionist history.
Almost all history is revisionist, and most historians don't think that "revisionist" is a dirty word.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Yes my race is pretty mess up, hell my country is pretty mess up

Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What does that have to do with white people?

If someone is in a less desirable state, it is their responsibility to seek and execute improvement.
It doesn't have much to do with white people individually. But it has everything to do with the systemic economic, social and even geographical marginalization of blacks that has gone on for many, many years in this country. Most white people simply don't perceive this marginalization as being real, or at least not as being particularly important. But it is.

Your attitude, that is a result a blacks' refusing to take responsibility, is a prime example of what I am talking about. To you, the problem is blacks are just dysfunctional humans. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been talking about on this whole thread.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
To you, the problem is blacks are just dysfunctional humans.
Not true.

Harrier does not believe that any broad group defined by human constructs is dysfunctional as a whole.

Harrier sees people as individuals and values individual responsibility.

Harrier believes that all people are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (shout out to T.J.)

Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I agree with Rogers Park Guy.

I also want to add, that if I come across being defensive, I don't mean to do so. To me, when someone mentions race and tries to draw some generalization of any group (including racial, ethnic, spiritual, etc.) I will counter that false generalization.

In regards to what I call "the black threads" around here, I feel that many of the posters just want to down all black people. Also many of them are ignorant about black Americans because if they weren't they wouldn't generalize so much.

Being that I grew up around so many different types of people, I know there is dysfunction everywhere. I also know there are things to be admired in all cultures and ethnicities and even religions (and fwiw I'm an atheist). So I will impart the little bit of positivity I know about whatever group to counter the ignorance spouted by a particular poster.

Also FWIW, I do feel that there is a healthy group of racist posters on this board who desire to perpetuate their ignorant messages. Please note that white hate groups are on the rise and their primary method of recruiting now-a-days is internet based. So I want to make sure that in all the racist threads that I counter the ignorant meanderings that they type so that hopefully some young and/or impressionable person will question the validity of a particular ignorant post and that will sway them from reaching out to other sorts of hate groups.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
The Average White American, after more than 200 years, finally lost his tribal fear of "different" and, shamed by the sins of a great-great-grandfather that he never knew -- elected as President a dark-skinned communist with no roots in slavery. Just because he was "black".

And that "President" has proceeded from the first moment to reinforce every negative black stereotype imaginable.

In his first speech as President he bragged like a typical street punk, spouting nonsense about being the "ones we've been waiting for" and "making the oceans recede". His first act as President was a joyride in his big new airplane around Ground Zero, scaring the people of New York half to death. His chief lawman's first act was to excuse a pack of Black Panthers who harassed elderly women at the voting booth.

From his foolish paranoia and the "beer summit", his cowardly "red lines", to his non-existent work ethic -- a tee time every morning and a vacation freeloading on the public dime every other month -- he has exemplified and re-enforced every negative prejudice any white American ever had of the black race.

The man has single-handedly set back racial relations 50 years.

BTW .. I am half black and criticize my black half much more than my 'other' half!
What was that you were saying about foolish paranoia?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Not true.

Harrier does not believe that any broad group defined by human constructs is dysfunctional as a whole.

Harrier sees people as individuals and values individual responsibility.

Harrier believes that all people are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (shout out to T.J.)
But individuals exist within a social context.

Let's not forget, the vast majority of people who were are poor were born poor. It wasn't like they were born middle class and became poor as a result of their individual failures. Making it all about individual responsibility doesn't address why some individuals (e.g. those of African ancestry) are, on average, so much more likely to have certain kinds of problems than other individuals (e.g. those of European ancestry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies