Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM

663 posts, read 504,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I wasn't aware that the average American voted for the Iraqi war, it certainly wasn't in any political manifesto, not was in Blair's Labour Manifesto.

As for Conscription, it's not really compatible with modern hi-tech military weaponry and the increasingly hi-tech battlefield.
Voting for the leaders behind the war was a kind of endorsement, don't you think? Bush rode the patriotic wave into reelection.

The draft? At one point or another you need a large army if you are fighting in different theaters or, say, if you want to occupy a large territory.

Would you have won Vietnam with a professional army? I think war in the jungles took a large army and always will. The Vietcong and their sympathizers simply overwhelmed the American army. Urban warfare also needs intensive hand to hand combat.

Backward countries like Afghanistan and Iraq stretched the American military enough to require mercenaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Perhaps you should consider a name change.
For a 'wise' Tibetan monkey, you certainly ask some surprisingly inane questions.
I'm wise yet humble, so I can keep my wisdom under control. Anyway some challenge is always healthy for a growing wisdom.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,098,094 times
So are you endorsing the perspective that because of American leaders and policy, terrorists should hate and attack all American people.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I don't hate the Germans, but they did let themselves get bamboozled by a hyper-nationalist charismatic figure who told them he'd lead them into their rightful position among the world's great powers again.

Hell, if I lived in a corruption-ridden country ruled by oligarchs, with an average life expectancy trails that of modern nations by 10 years or so, I'd probably be tempted to look for something - anything - to take pride in. It's a tried-and-true formula - tell people their nation's manifest destiny is to be great and glorious, then point to insidious inside and outside forces keeping this from happening, robbing them blind all the while. Complaining is unpatriotic, not backing the leader is tantamount to treason, and always remember that you've been born to a nation that's rightfully great.
Not sure about that. Again, the French are a pretty proud people and yet they threaten no one. Perhaps Russia is resisting outside isolation instead of, say, inviting them to join the EU.

Do you understand that if they give up Ukraine, it won't be last nation to want out of the Russian Federation? Sometimes strong leaders are needed for a country instead of having a dysfunctional democracy. Compare China to America.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
Do you understand that if they give up Ukraine, it won't be last nation to want out of the Russian Federation?
So? Hey, if the Russian Federation is so dang attractive of a club, how come Ukraine doesn't want it? I'd ask Russia to stay the f.ck out, too.

Quote:
Sometimes strong leaders are needed for a country instead of having a dysfunctional democracy.
Yeahyeahyeah, and the trains will run on time, too. Russia has a strong leader, and it's still a f.cked-up country. When one man in four dies before reaching the age of 55, your country has issues.

Quote:
Compare China to America.
That comparison comes out in favor of the US on pretty much any count.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
So are you endorsing the perspective that because of American leaders and policy, terrorists should hate and attack all American people.
Americans are consumers and they really don't have a clue about what's going on in Iraq, even now. They knew Iraq was about oil and went along with the leaders. "Follow the leader."

Terrorists think Americans are a Christian nation bent on controlling the world, but maybe they should blame the media not the people. European people is far more critical and don't see the world in black and white. Again, they can tell the difference between the leaders and the American people.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Not sure about that. Again, the French are a pretty proud people and yet they threaten no one.
If France and Switzerland engaged in war the Swiss would refuse to fight and the French would immediately surrender.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

That comparison comes out in favor of the US on pretty much any count.
Just as the quality of life is much better in any European country than America.

Beware though, China is the only growing superpower.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If France and Switzerland engaged in war the Swiss would refuse to fight and the French would immediately surrender.
I thought it would us who would open the gates to the barbarians.

The Swiss has an army trained to survive an attack and launch a guerrilla war. The French, I don't know. They are just living the good life. Do you blame them?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
I thought it would us who would open the gates to the barbarians.

The Swiss has an army trained to survive an attack and launch a guerrilla war. The French, I don't know. They are just living the good life. Do you blame them?
The Swiss have a history of neutrality and though France has a proud military tradition, they have recently been known for either surrending upon attack or refusing to defend itself when threatened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies