Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
I hear it all the time: "That Putin is a bully, blah, blah, blah." That's people that just heard from the media that Putin is the bad guy. Well, how about Putin enjoying the support of 80% of the Russian people? That's more than Bush ever enjoyed at the height of the Iraqi war.

Unlike Iraq though Russians are familiar with Ukraine, which proves my point that they know their reasons.
Maybe he is lying to his people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM

702 posts, read 727,133 times
The best things about Russia are dashboard camera videos, vodka, and night club surveillance cam fights.

Quote:
I hear it all the time: "That Putin is a bully, blah, blah, blah." That's people that just heard from the media that Putin is the bad guy. Well, how about Putin enjoying the support of 80% of the Russian people? That's more than Bush ever enjoyed at the height of the Iraqi war.

Unlike Iraq though Russians are familiar with Ukraine, which proves my point that they know their reasons.
Kim Jong Un just won reelection with 100% of the vote.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM

663 posts, read 504,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstat View Post
Both Eastern Ukraine and Crimea had been Russian territories, and "gifted" to Ukraine at different times. These territories populated mostly by Russian people with historical ties to Russia. Putin is doing what he is supposed to do, e.g. protecting people. It is a no-brainer for a country leader and Russians. Putin's actions are widely supported in Russia. Also note that so called new Ukrainian government was NOT recognized by Southeastern regions of Ukraine. The fact that US & EU keep reporting on "Ukrainian government" does not make it legitimate in the eyes of people from this region.
The Western media for the most part wants to present an image of this "strongman" bent on conquering half or Europe.

If he were to give up this whole nation, every single ethnic in Russia would follow suit and the Russian Federation would descend into chaos. Remember the Chechens, for example.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
The best things about Russia are dashboard camera videos, vodka, and night club surveillance cam fights.

Kim Jong Un just won reelection with 100% of the vote.
Bush didn't win the popular vote in 2000, and the Supreme Court took care of business.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Maybe he is lying to his people?
Maybe Obama is lying to you.

I think he wants to go in history as the liberator of the world, though most revolutions simply go wrong. Words like "democracy" and "freedom" are simply too vague.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
You forget Russian wives.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Bush didn't win the popular vote in 2000, and the Supreme Court took care of business.

Yeah, a strange anomaly of our electoral system. One time of four instances where the popular vote winner lost the Electoral College.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I don't agree with everything US leaders do but it doesn't necessarily mean that I hate the average American citizen.

As for the 80% figure in support of Putin, I am as dubious of that as I am in relation to Putin's landslide victory in 2012.
Well, I happen to hate people who voted for the Iraqi war. Surely their children weren't doing the fight. Bring back the draft if you want America to be more peaceful.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Well, I happen to hate people who voted for the Iraqi war. Surely their children weren't doing the fight. Bring back the draft if you want America to be more peaceful.

That is one option. Or, we could fire all of the warmongers in Washington on both sides of the aisle, and elect more Ron Paul or Gary Johnson types.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
I don't hate Putin. I don't like a lot about him but don't hate him in the least and I especially don't hate Russians. Russians are cool people in my book. The best "street mechanic" I ever had, who focused on body work, was a Russian and I have had teachers who were Russian who were great teachers and I work in senior housing and we have a lot of elderly Russian residents in my area and they are wonderful people IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies