Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Reagan was a mainstream Republican. Shining City on a Hill, anyone? Sounds like something Tip O'Neill would proudly say.

The 80s were the easiest era for any "so called" pro lifer to still go after Roe v Wade, and the WH was silent, in action, during the entire decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Reagan was a mainstream Republican. Shining City on a Hill, anyone? Sounds like something Tip O'Neill would proudly say.

The 80s were the easiest era for any "so called" pro lifer to still go after Roe v Wade, and the WH was silent, in action, during the entire decade.
Reagan had the advantage of Watergate, then two honest but weak presidents before him. The country was ripe for hope and change. Reagan took advantage of that.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Reagan had the advantage of Watergate, then two honest but weak presidents before him. The country was ripe for hope and change. Reagan took advantage of that.
It was an era of austerity. That chart the poster on page 1 had showing negative discretionary spending with RR showed Jimmy Carter the next most frugal. He must have forgotten to mention that!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:28 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
My first opportunity to vote in a Presidential Election was in 1980. I voted for Reagan.

Reflecting back and considering the all that was happening around us, I would cast the same vote.
me too!!! and yes I'd do the same again in a heartbeat over what we've had since him. Reagan brought respect back to the office of President, while the last four guys squandered it.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:32 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
reagan came along at a time when the country needed a strong leader. having lived through the regan era, i can tell you that taxes overall went down, and reagan pushed a positive agenda, and had a positive outlook for the country. for the most part he didnt dwell on the past administrations, but rather looked to the future. he pushed to let the american people decide their future, not the politicians in washington. he also pushed for the government to do it constitutional duty as best he could.

i voted for reagan twice, and if someone comes along with a similar attitude, i would vote for them as well, republican or democrat. the problem with clinton and obama is that they constantly used words like social justice, and soak the rich, words reagan never used.
Great explanation, and I ditto what you say.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Liberals don't fear Reagan, they are just amazed that Conservatives idolize him.
Oh, I think they fear his legacy as nothing they've put in office can even begin to come close to what he did for this country, its international standin and its mood, especially compared to what we have now.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and this comes from where?
I don't think you really want to know.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Some of the purported corruption during the Reagan era was just politically motivated trumped-up prosecutions, as with the egregious indictment of defense sec'y Weinberger just before an election:
No good deed...the hounding of Cap Weinberger - Paul Greenberg - Page full

or the prosecution of Labor Sec'y Ray Donovan, who was cleared of all charges and famously asked: "which office do I go to to get my reputation back?"
DONOVAN CLEARED OF FRAUD CHARGES BY JURY IN BRONX - NYTimes.com

There was some corruption that was real, and some that was just misguided patriotism, like Ollie North and Iran/Contra.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:48 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
He kicked butt in Granada so I`ll give him credit for that. It`s the only one we put in the win column since 1945. Benghazi...4 dead
Lebanon in 1983....241 dead.
See the difference?
Big difference between a car bomb (Lebanon) and a concerted attack (Benghazi) which could have been defended better. Two different events for very different reasons. Four dead or 241 dead makes no difference to them or their families and friends.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Some of the purported corruption during the Reagan era was just politically motivated trumped-up prosecutions, as with the egregious indictment of defense sec'y Weinberger just before an election:
No good deed...the hounding of Cap Weinberger - Paul Greenberg - Page full

or the prosecution of Labor Sec'y Ray Donovan, who was cleared of all charges and famously asked: "which office do I go to to get my reputation back?"
DONOVAN CLEARED OF FRAUD CHARGES BY JURY IN BRONX - NYTimes.com

There was some corruption that was real, and some that was just misguided patriotism, like Ollie North and Iran/Contra.
I wouldn't characterize Iran-Contra as misguided patriotism. Seriously. What happened was illegal and an abuse of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies