Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM

39,504 posts, read 27,855,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
II have a friend who is on medicare and had surgery recently, he found out he could have the bill waived based on him being low income(tax write off for hospital). Also the billing dept will work with people to pay a low monthly payment towards the bills. Its often not due all at once. Is that what you were wondering lily?
Yeah, thank you for the answer HBH, I hope your friend is doing all right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,304,092 times
Quote:
II have a friend who is on medicare and had surgery recently, he found out he could have the bill waived based on him being low income(tax write off for hospital). Also the billing dept will work with people to pay a low monthly payment towards the bills. Its often not due all at once. Is that what you were wondering lily?
Well its not really a tax write off.. By waiving the ability to go after the amount owed, the hospital qualifies for a medicaid suppliment. You friend would have qualified "temporarily" due to the injury.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,936,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The expanded medicaid plan is 4x poverty levels.. That probably fits most seniors..

I wonder how long before the federal government starts pushing everyone towards medicaid in an effort to cut federal spending.
This seems to contradict 4X FPL. There is also an asset test with a cap of $7160.

Seniors & Medicare and Medicaid Enrollees | Medicaid.gov

Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,721,716 times
Quote:
Thats not true.

Can I Refuse Medicare?

A person does not have to take Medicare. Part A or B, but he must fill out paperwork stating his intentions to refuse Medicare

They can choose to buy individual plans or even take Medicare, and buy supplimental policies like the OP stated they are doing.
Yes. When I signed up for Medicare some 6 or 7 years ago, I had to opt out if I didn't want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
That is the newest and best one on the market. Plavix is very commonly prescribed drug for stent procedure. If my dad's insurance does not cover it, the doctor will have to switch to plavix. Maybe you should ask your doctor about the one on my op. It is a very good drug. You don't have to take it for a very long time.
I can't afford $300/mo. That's more than I pay for my drugs combined. It's my understanding I'll have to take Plavix the rest of my life. I just take what the doctor orders. If he ordered something that expensive, I'd have another heart attack and that would be that! lol.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,797,828 times
Quote:
Yeah, thank you for the answer HBH, I hope your friend is doing all right.
Mahalo hes a tough old buzzard lol. I will pray for your dad and your ohana, you all have had a rough roll lately.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yes. When I signed up for Medicare some 6 or 7 years ago, I had to opt out if I didn't want it.

I can't afford $300/mo. That's more than I pay for my drugs combined. It's my understanding I'll have to take Plavix the rest of my life. I just take what the doctor orders. If he ordered something that expensive, I'd have another heart attack and that would be that! lol.
No no ask your doctor about the drug on my op. I think medicare covers it. It doesn't hurt to ask. I am under the impression that my dad doesn't have to take that drug for the rest of his life. Take plavix for very long time will cause bleeding problems (like nose bleed, bruises, internal bleeding). Ask your doctor about the new drug.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,304,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Those without it have a different choice-"Do I feel sick enough to go in and be bankrupted?" And if the answer is no, and they guess wrong about how serious it is...they die.

Like my mom did.

So no, I dont think it harms them. If the ACA had existed when my mom first got sick she would be here today, and not dead.
Oh my god.. how much of this can we take.

You were just on another thread babbling about how you earnings are in the top 5% of the nation, but you wouldnt give your mother money to save her life?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,721,716 times
Quote:
No no ask your doctor about the drug on my op. I think medicare covers it. It doesn't hurt to ask. I am under the impression that my dad doesn't have to take that drug for the rest of his life. Take plavix for very long time will cause bleeding problems (like nose bleed, bruises, internal bleeding). Ask your doctor about the new drug.
I'll ask, but I don't have Part D. All my drugs are out of pocket.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Mahalo hes a tough old buzzard lol. I will pray for your dad and your ohana, you all have had a rough roll lately.
Actually the doctor said that my dad's minor artery has over 90% blockage, but even it is 100% blockage, it is still okay. I guess it is the major artery causes the most and fatal damage.

I do wonder, however, if there will any any medicare reform in the future. Definitely have to pay attention to that.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,936,700 times
Quote:
Thats not true.

Can I Refuse Medicare?

A person does not have to take Medicare. Part A or B, but he must fill out paperwork stating his intentions to refuse Medicare

They can choose to buy individual plans or even take Medicare, and buy supplimental policies like the OP stated they are doing.
No one is forced to use Medicare.
They can pay out of pocket at the point of service.

No one is writing individual plan policies for people who are 65 and older. This was true before ACA and remains true. The supplemental policy supplements Medicare. If one is not signed on for Medicare, there is nothing to supplement.

The exceptions to this are large group healthcare plans for those age 65 who continue to be employed by an employer who provides such benefit and travel/accident insurance. Medicare does not pay out of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies