Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 02:54 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,049,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's a sick mind that thinks "gay adoption" is okay, too. Worse, what this "couple" (er "threesome") has done! A child needs to know a mother and a father. Not two mothers, or three (or more). This child will have problems it's entire life.]
Not really.

It's a sick mind that would prevent a child from being adopted to a loving family, irregardless of the family's makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,257,304 times
then how do you consummate the marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sex is not requisite for marriage under the law. There is nothing about the marriage contract that requires the entrants EVER have sex, love each other.... or even LIKE each other.

That's because as far as the government is concerned, it's a shorthand contract scheme (much like establishing an LLC or business partnership that automatically creates certain rights and responsibilities between entrants).

The part about "love" is to help appeal to the dummies who don't understand what marriage actually is in the eyes of the government.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
My wife and I did it by hitting up Taco Bell after the wedding and reception and then ended up passing out from exhaustion in the hotel. But there was no marriage requirement to consummate anything when we got our marriage license. We just had to have some form of wedding ceremony.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,223,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
exactly... I know you can go to a clinic and get sperm but that's going outside of the realms of homosexuality.

I don't know.. I just think if you are gay you are supposed to be childless since it's not something you can do naturally.

I'm really not trying to be insensitive and like I stated above. I know PLENTY of gays due to my wife's line of work but they are all childless.
"Outside the realm of homosexuality"? Do you know what homosexuality is? It is the attraction to someone of the same sex. I'm pretty sure IVF doesn't require ANY attraction. No doctors appointment that I have ever been to required any form of attraction.

Homosexuals can and do have children I have given birth to two children, and I'm homosexual. I used the same method as millions of heterosexual people.

Maybe you need to meet more people, because in my circle of friends most of us have children, homosexuals included.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,223,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
My wife and I did it by hitting up Taco Bell after the wedding and reception and then ended up passing out from exhaustion in the hotel. But there was no marriage requirement to consummate anything when we got our marriage license. We just had to have some form of wedding ceremony.
You didn't have to have proof of consummation? Bloody sheets on file, or video proof filed at city hall?

Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,421,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post

Consummating a marriage is an old relic of when religion got involved in marriage. I believe in the Catholic church you can get an annulment for lack of consummation, but lack of consummation does not have any bearing on civil marriage.

Interestingly, in Britain an unconsummated marriage can be voided (except in the case of same sex marriage)... but this is America!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:45 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You do realize a man and woman don't have to love each other to get married. Also what is a sexual union? Is that another phrase for having sex?

Yeah, I expected you to avoid the question.

(What consistent reasoning can be used to justify same-sex marriage while prohibiting other non-traditional forms of marriage?)

Go ahead...take another crack at it.

Tell us the reasoning behind same-sex marriage.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,526,094 times
This thread is untrue anyway. No state has started marrying 3 people.

sue, Bristol, 13 hours ago
Marriage STYLE ceremony - nobody is married people calm down. I could organise a marriage style ceremony with a tree in my garden if I liked - it wouldn't make me and Mr Tree married.

Last edited by janelle144; 04-24-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

(What consistent reasoning can be used to justify same-sex marriage while prohibiting other non-traditional forms of marriage?)

Go ahead...take another crack at it.

Tell us the reasoning behind same-sex marriage.
Actually I have no problem with things like polygamy and polyandry. Though they are different than a civil marriage between two people because it involves multiple people. There would have to be a clause to address that issue.

So, why do you think it is acceptable to deny same-sex marriage? And try not to say things like it is about having children or anything like that because those excuses you use aren't barrings for two people to get married.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,049,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

As of now, the way the laws are written. MOre would have to be rewritten for poly marriages than for same sex marriages.

That being said, that's really not a good reason to have poly marriage illegal. It should be legal. Just like any union between consenting adults, no matter how the makeup is, should be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies