Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Do you have any idea how these projects work? It was a total failure of the Oregon government and a waste of tax payer money. Oregon chose the provider and should have had oversight. Companies been doing thousands of web based systems development projects successfully for years. This is not rocket science. It just requires good management.
Yes I do actually. Probably better then the vast majority of people here. I both live in Oregon, AND work as a software engineer-with experience on large scale medical software in the past

Good management means also having your oversite company be clear with you-something that didnt happen here. The person responsible with that-her head rolled.

I will agree that the failure to have clear visibility into the execution of this was a problem, but I dont think this was a "liberal" or "conservative" issue.

And lets be honest, if Oracle had executed as they claimed they would this would not have been an issue. Oracle dropped the ball badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,553,619 times
When leftists have the opportunity to loot taxpayers of $250M, they call that a success.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea how these projects work? It was a total failure of the Oregon government and a waste of tax payer money. Oregon chose the provider and should have had oversight. Companies been doing thousands of web based systems development projects successfully for years. This is not rocket science. It just requires good management.
Bold statements contradict each other.

You can indeed blame Oregon for choosing a company that was not able to do an adequate job, but that still means the company did not do a good job.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Duplicate thread, but at least this thread has the correct title.

It makes sense for Oregon to move to the federal exchange after the disaster that was created with their site.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And its not exactly a political failure, so much as a corporate failure to execute.

I suppose you could make it out to be a liberal failure somehow, but it really does come down to whom Oregon hired.
I'd say it is when your spending taxpayers money have control. its often like building a home for a woman who wants changes constantly as we saw with federal exchange problems. Constant changes do not make working for government efficient. they have a history of making constant changes that end in cost over runs. Its only taxpayer money as they see it. I wouldn't be surprised if they spent a few million on celebration of federal exchange finally up and sort of running myself; seing their history.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM

17,447 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And when you add the absolute failure that is the Maryland Healthcare Exchange, which is now being scrapped also, we have nearly HALF A BILLION dollars wasted on two projects.

This is unconscionable. Every American should be absolutely irate over this waste of taxpayer money. But guess which ideology will remain silent?

Maryland set to replace troubled health exchange with Connecticut’s system - The Washington Post

Or better yet, they'll make excuses.

I'm pretty sure this is ALL the fault of George Bush.
With these two bastions of Liberal/Leftist States as a failure - we must now have about 1/2 the States without exchanges ..... unfortunately for the citizens of Maryland & Oregon, Millions and Millions of dollars are down the tube and THEY are on the hook for that money.

I noticed that one more "delay" snuck in on the Friday news dump today.
Things never 'change' with the O-Team.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Now this is an issue you can actually blame on crony capitalism because Oracle should not have been picked from the beginning, nor should they have been allowed to go on this long without having to show proof of their progress along the way.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,461,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Pretty easy. All the successes of Obamacare liberals are free to take credit for, and the failures you have to take accountability for as well. This is one of the few instances where conservatives/Republicans have totally washed their hands.
May have washed their hands but it sure didn't prevent them from lapping up the federal subsidies, did it? Kentucky, a very conservative state, reduced its uninsured by nearly 50%! Over 10,000,000 Americans obtained health insurance, thanks to Obamacare. And that's just in the first year!

Thank you, Democrats and President Obama, for putting America first!

Other than wasting a couple of trillion on wars based on lies, funny, I cannot think of a single thing the Republicans have accomplished that helped our great nation. Guess we never will find those WMDs, huh?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 PM

17,447 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im actually a lot more familiar with the details then you are. I live in the state, and know people who have worked on it.

Exculpating the state? Nope, but the person responsible has been let go. And her politics were irrelevant. Those weren't what caused this to fail.

Does that make sense? If someone trips on the street, I don't mutter "those damned Conservatives don't know how to walk, if that had been a liberal they wouldn't have tripped"

Seriously. This isnt a left or right issue, this is a combination of poor oversight reporting by the outside company-"This is bad" then 1 week later" well its ok"...when it was still bad. When it failed they said "hey we SAID it was bad".....

And the company doing it...well...There are rules against posting my opinion of them in the frank and clear manner that would be sufficient.
How nice for you and the Oregon Taxpayers - a quarter of a Billion dollars went "poof" through incompetence, graft or whatever and it's referred to as a "trip on the street". It's not a "left or right issue" only because the person in charge that managed to blow through a quarter of a Billion is "left".
It's your funeral, not ours - so I guess we are happy that you have no concerns about any of that.

Hard to understand these folks that think like this.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
How nice for you and the Oregon Taxpayers - a quarter of a Billion dollars went "poof" through incompetence, graft or whatever and it's referred to as a "trip on the street". It's not a "left or right issue" only because the person in charge that managed to blow through a quarter of a Billion is "left".
It's your funeral, not ours - so I guess we are happy that you have no concerns about any of that.

Hard to understand these folks that think like this.
Hard to understand that large projects fail regularly. I know. I couldn't understand how the companies I worked for could LITERALLY blow 250 million on something that was fubared from day 1. And yet I saw it multiple times.

Good salespeople, bad management, and cost plus accounting. Basically how every single government program works. And even a lot of corporate ones. Its mind boggling.

Take a look at every single military program. Lets pick the F35 for example (although there are many many worse examples). Literally doubled in price. From a 200 billion dollar program to a 400 billion dollar program. I think the F-22 and the new navy ships have done worse. Know whats even worse? The F-35 has had the companies involved freaking out because under new rules the government has pulled some money from them reducing their profits. (While its the Obama administration doing this, I think the rules were created under Bush, not sure)

Cancelled programs? The army and navys got them in spades.

Welcome to reality. Big programs fail....software ones have an amazing failure rate. And being in the industry its very depressing to work on something you know is going to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies