Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont give a rats ass how many databases it has to interface with, its code, and code and select code is the same if you are connecting to one database, or multiple. The only difference is the prefix.

Select * from database1.insurance doesnt cost any different than Select * from database2.insurance
Well except for hippa requirements for encryption, multiple different database interfaces-none of the databases being local, so lots of different interfaces with lots of rules, etc etc etc.

And yes congratulations you know how to select all the records from a SQL database. Course if you think its that easy you probably cant imagine why any company would hire a database expert or five....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Funny watching the same people who defended the federal contractors moan and groan about state contractors
If people were complaining about the contractors and not the state, they'd probably be defending the state contractors here too. Such hypocrites.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
So the state bears no responsibility because it contracted it out? Perhaps they should've given it to a more competent company.
Fair enough, my point is #1 the person responsible is gone because of it, and that its not a liberal vs conservative issue. Its that these types of projects are prone to failure, and when a business fails to execute....thats their fault.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:44 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Fair enough, my point is #1 the person responsible is gone because of it, and that its not a liberal vs conservative issue. Its that these types of projects are prone to failure, and when a business fails to execute....thats their fault.
Shouldn't there have been some monitoring to make sure things were running smoothly before a quarter of a billion dollars were spent? Shouldn't the contract have called for penalties for not meeting various targets (if it didn't)? Yes, it's widely known these types of projects are known to failure. Given that, with so much taxpayer money invested, I'd say there should have been more oversight.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Well except for hippa requirements for encryption, multiple different database interfaces-none of the databases being local, so lots of different interfaces with lots of rules, etc etc etc.
The contractors for Healthcare.gov admit the website isnt hippa compliant. There is even a disclosure stating you agree to waive compliance if you apply through the website. Its not even a HTTPS site.

Try again.
Quote:
And yes congratulations you know how to select all the records from a SQL database. Course if you think its that easy you probably cant imagine why any company would hire a database expert or five....
I would imagine they would have dozens of them.. I just dont know many that get paid $1M a year. Maybe you travel in different circles than I do..

Old 04-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Shouldn't there have been some monitoring to make sure things were running smoothly before a quarter of a billion dollars were spent? Shouldn't the contract have called for penalties for not meeting various targets (if it didn't)? Yes, it's widely known these types of projects are known to failure. Given that, with so much taxpayer money invested, I'd say there should have been more oversight.
You mean like the states quality assurance contractor? Yes they had one....
Read some of this:
KATU investigation finds Oracle shares blame with Cover Oregon for website disaster | KATU Investigators | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

KATU is our local news group.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 PM

Also of note is that when executing all of this Oracle made the whole exchange completely dependent on Oracle software-knowing that they would make millions and millions in consulting and change fees in the future.

Oracle REALLY set it up for failure, both short term and long term, with horrifically written software that was bloated, and unwieldy put together by various groups.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 PM

For those readers who know this sort of thing.....lets put it this way. They were proud of the fact that they brought SVN in and used it.....but they didnt have a build system management tool, which also indicates, probably no unified unit testing, or completely automated testing capability of note. No ability to build and deploy to a blank system-in fact that required that the prior system be left in place! No project management tool to track progress, etc etc etc

They basically took all their local consultants, threw them together and said "make this".

Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Still don't know why an exchange needed to be created to enroll in the insurance. A website with prices and links to the individual carriers and state Medicaid site would have sufficed. I have been buying private insurance for 15 years and always had to present copy of tax return to insurance company to prove I had business profit. Why couldn't the same thing have been done with people providing copies of last year's tax return?

Could have saved millions of dollars that could have paid for many policies.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Also of note is that when executing all of this Oracle made the whole exchange completely dependent on Oracle software-knowing that they would make millions and millions in consulting and change fees in the future.

Oracle REALLY set it up for failure, both short term and long term, with horrifically written software that was bloated, and unwieldy put together by various groups.
Anyone who knows anything about software knows that database code is specific regardless if you are writing sql, access, or oracle. No matter what company was used, it still would have been dependant upon one database system and code written specifically to link to it..

Simply writing to code to connect to an Oracle database doesnt designate one to failure no different than my code all written to link to SQL means my sites will fail.

Oracle is a far better database and I would expect a system like this to use Oracle. Why wouldnt you bring in the developers of the software to get the best input?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies