Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times

Advertisements

When Oregon and Washington had Republican Governors and Senators they were moderates and governed from the center. Many would have stayed away from the abortion issue. However once Gingrich and the rest of the Tea Party types started pulling the Republican party further to the right they fell out of favor in Oregon and Washington except in the rural areas. I would have a hard time seeing Oregon or Washington go red unless a lot of Tea Party types like VThokie had flooded the state over the years coming from rural areas looking for jobs.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
When Oregon and Washington had Republican Governors and Senators they were moderates and governed from the center. Many would have stayed away from the abortion issue. However once Gingrich and the rest of the Tea Party types started pulling the Republican party further to the right they fell out of favor in Oregon and Washington except in the rural areas. I would have a hard time seeing Oregon or Washington go red unless a lot of Tea Party types like VThokie had flooded the state over the years coming from rural areas looking for jobs.
Which isn't happening. The people that have been moving to Oregon and Washington have been young liberal voters. The only shot a Republican would have for Senate in Oregon would be a centrist that appealed to liberals, and that just isn't something that is going to happen these days. Merkley should have no problem beating who ever the Republicans pick to run against him.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I've seen a bunch of Monica Wehby's commercials. I'm pretty sure that Oregonians won't be thrilled by a potential senator promising to waste her first two years trying to get rid of Obamacare.

She seems like a one trick pony.
Jeff Merkly is going to demolish her in debates. Like many (but not all) other Doctors who think they can be politicians they believe that being a Dr. turns them into the smartest person in the room. They can't comprehend other viewpoints.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:35 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I beg to differ. Tom McCall was governor there when I lived there in 1975. He was a REAL conservative, and while he was governor he signed into law legislation that protected a LOT of state land from development and gave the public access to it.

You can still pull up on the side of the road by a river, camp the night with your tent, and fish for your breakfast. You cannot bring in industry that will pollute the land or water, nor can you build buildings so tall that they deprive other property owners of sunshine. You also cannot build a house on the banks of a lake, river, or ocean and keep other people from the shoreline. There is a setback so that all citizens can enjoy access to all of Oregon's natural resources.

We need a lot more republicans like him today. I would vote for them in a heartbeat.
This, I used to vote across party lines - no more -at least not where I'm stuck now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Jeff Merkley's seat was held until 2009 by Republican Gordon Smith and prior to that Republican Mark Hatfield held the seat going back to the late 60s, so a Republican senator in Oregon wouldn't be that big a deal(and Republican Bob Packwood was a senator until the mid-90s). Doesn't mean the state won't vote Democratic in the next presidential election though. Dennis Richardson is still a longshot for governor--he'd have to win in the Portland suburbs to have a chance and he's pretty socially conservative(anti-abortion Mormon).

I don't know why this is being posted here instead of the Oregon forum, no one in most of the rest of country knows jack squat about Oregon politics, so you're not going to have much of a real discussion.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
"On the reality of the election?" The reality is that it is a pure fantasy if you think Oregon is going to go red.
This I was born and raised in Oregon and hope to return soon, much of my reasoning is of what cuebald posted, Oregonians appreciate their states natural resources, I was thrilled when those laws were passed and I voted for Tom McCall. I recently watched a documentary done in Oregon on undoing much of the engineering of the creeks and rivers - returning them to their natural state in order to return the Salmon runs. Most of this was taking place in Central and Eastern Oregon and there were environmentalists of all stripes, ranchers and farmers all working on the same page together to bring this about.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Haha, that made me laugh so hard. I am more of an Oregonian than you are. And I will be a registered voter in Oregon before November to prevent your fantasy of Oregon going red.
Says the Virginian-born current New Jersey resident.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:41 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I am not in the tea party.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
A Republican can win in OR, easily. A right wing moonbat lunatic that would please the extremist crowd can not.

This year is probably pretty good for a moderate Republican to run for governor, given the very public complete and utter boondoggle that is Cover Oregon. They just have to resist the urge to give in to the stupid wing of the Republican party. It was only four years ago that Chris Dudley barely lost. Had he not suggested cutting pay for waitresses, he probably could have pulled off a win.

Merkley looks pretty strong, despite the wishes of the moonbat rat based on one poll that disagrees sharply with all other polling. Is it time for a repeat of the skewed polls nonsense in which righties convince themselves that they're secretly winning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Democrats are in trouble in Oregon. It should come as no surprise as they have destroyed the state.

WAVE YEAR? Daily Caller Poll Shows Deep-Blue Oregon Flashing Red | The Daily Caller
How exactly have Democrats destroyed the state?

Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Says the Virginian-born current New Jersey resident.
Yep, I'm the one who married a girl from Oregon, her entire family lives in Oregon, and my entire family lives in Washington....so I am more of an Oregonian than you, and whatever Republican they put up against Merkley will lose. I am just preparing you for that come election day so you don't get your hopes up thinking just because you live in Oregon now that it will magically go Red for you.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Yep, I'm the one who married a girl from Oregon, her entire family lives in Oregon, and my entire family lives in Washington....so I am more of an Oregonian than you, and whatever Republican they put up against Merkley will lose. I am just preparing you for that come election day so you don't get your hopes up thinking just because you live in Oregon now that it will magically go Red for you.
I've lived here in Oregon since 1983 or so. Lived in several other countries or states for a year here, or a year there, but always came back here.

Live in the East areas, Redmond/Bend, and Ontario. They're a mixed bag, but probably more conservative. But the population centers? I live in Hillsboro now, but have also lived in Portland, and Eugene/Springfield these places are VERY VERY blue.

Can a liberal republican win.....maybe. but he would have to be VERY liberal. And having met the people involved in local R politics thats highly unlikely to occur. Terms like "compromise is a betrayal" are often stated with utter conviction.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:25 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Gotta love Republican pollsters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies