Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:37 PM

924 posts, read 667,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you dont care about your fellow man in the least, good attitude. perhaps you dont get any recgonition at your job so you take it out on others. did we somehow start recruiting LEOs from a different race of beings? or is it that in your opinion once they become a LEO they are no longer human? did it ever occur to you that perhaps YOUR negative attitude is what causes your problem with LEOs?
I'm a law abiding citizen and have no problem with the police. I've actually dealt with much more helpful officers than not.

Not sure what you mean by the rest of your rant but police officers are supposed to protect and serve. I don't expect flagrant praise at my job because it's what I get a paycheck for.

Now if I was targeting and beating minorities, and shooting people's dogs, I wouldn't have a problem with people being suspicious of my character. Nobody is forcing anybody to be a police officer, if you don't want what comes with the job, get a different job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
At one time while in my late teens, I thought of joining the CHP. Not because I wanted any recognition or favor. I was merely impressed with how they would roll up to help disabled motorists. I have a cousin who is an LAPD Captain. Over a few decades, I witnessed several episodes of blatant disregard by wayward police officers, for the respect and dignity of South L.A. communities they supposedly were "protecting and serving". Did that tarnish my view of what law enforcement is supposed to be? Not one bit. However, I think I agree with Ecstatic Magnet's comment. Police are city employees who while deserving of respect for what they have chosen to risk their lives to do each day, are also public servants who are paid by the tax dollars of their communities. That to me, should be enough recognition and reward for a job well done by conscientious officers.
really? you dont think that walking up to a police officer and thanking them for doing their jobs and shaking their hand might be something worthwhile? you dont think they might appreciate it? we are, these days, willing to walk up to a soldier in uniform and thank them for the job they do, but we cant do that with our police or firefighters, or paramedics?

what you haters have to realize is that a little courtesy goes a long way, and not just with police either, but with everyone.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:41 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
For those who seem to think that police are corrupt, evil, and everything bad, look at this

Police officer goes above and beyond for Sumter teen - WSMV Channel 4

For those who only wish to complain, let me remind you that every day, Law Enforcement officers go out of their way to help some one, and individually, there are many who want to portray a good image of law enforcement.

Sadly, the press likes to focus only on the mistakes, but when someone decides to step up and be part of the solution in life rather than part of the problem, it is good to see the press at least noticing.
I applaud the officer's actions. I don't know a single person who believes ALL Police are corrupt, evil, out to get them. There's many good citizens wearing the uniform.

You see the outrage from the people because of the lack of justice when one of the bad apples messes up, the lack of a real complaint and prosecution system of the Police, and the increasing number of laws that violate our Constitutional rights in the name of "safety."

I believe more should be done to encourage good officers than awarding the most corrupt or money hungry who selectively choose which laws they abide by.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM

People are courteous to everyone of every profession.

If they aren't, it's probably because the people in that profession are typically not courteous to them.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM

I damn sure don't need an atta boy to do my job, the public shouldn't have to constantly cheerlead the people who are supposed to keep us safe and defend the law.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
really? you dont think that walking up to a police officer and thanking them for doing their jobs and shaking their hand might be something worthwhile? you dont think they might appreciate it? we are, these days, willing to walk up to a soldier in uniform and thank them for the job they do, but we cant do that with our police or firefighters, or paramedics?
I've done that. If he is hassling me to quit filming him though I'm going to tell him to "bite me".

Quote:
what you haters have to realize is that a little courtesy goes a long way, and not just with police either, but with everyone.
Does it make you feel better to call people haters?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
now when a cop goes beyond the call of duty its just doing his job? if we are going to recognize LEOs that commit atrocities in th eline of duty, then we must also recognize LEOs that do good in the line of duty as well. perhaps when we let the LEOs doing a good job know that we are watching, and that we approve, and give them some recognition, then perhaps cops will be less likely to get frustrated with the general public when we do stupid, and the LEOs may be less likely to take that frustration out on us. did you ever think of that?

While police are held to a higher standard due to them being hired to uphold the laws that they are sworn to enforce, I personally have no issue with acknowledging when they've gone above or beyond (or anyone for that matter) to save another individual. Just like I have no problem criticizing the cops who feel they're above the law. Know what I mean?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've done that. If he is hassling me to quit filming him though I'm going to tell him to "bite me".

Does it make you feel better to call people haters?
In which case he will probably ask you for your ID, maybe frisk you, ask you what you're doing and where you're going, and maybe even tase you if you don't do the rest with the most pleasant smile.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
I see a whole bunch of sides to this issue.

I'm the first person to believe that many LEOs join the force because they're power-hungry a$$holes who want to hide their violent impulses behind a badge.

On the other hand … most of the people of this forum who spend their days digging up and posting stories about LEO run amok are the keyboard cowboys who are hoping to convince the rest of us to let them play Fisher Price Police Officer and take justice into their own hands as if America were still the Wild Wild West.

On the other other hand, I refuse to casually dismiss the things law officers do right because "that's their job." I don't expect great praise for doing my job correctly (well, once in awhile it's nice to have), but I don't for a minute think I'd have the b@lls to do a LEO's job, and thankyouverymuch for having my back every day.

I mean, who signed up to run INTO the collapsing Twin Towers? But they did it. I find it rather offensive to just wave that off as Another Day at the Office, ho hum. There really are law enforcement folks out there who have a sense of duty. I will never let the bad apples make me forget what they're willing to do for the rest of us.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Above all else: respect is earned.

If a police officer walks up to me expecting recognition for simply existing, he's in for a rude awakening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies