Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
I wish you had a chance to do job for a day....
Depends where you live.

Where I live there has been 2 murders in the last 15 years (out of a population of 45,000 +)

One person turned himself in immediately after committing the murder. He killed his mother and offered no resistance when the police responded.

The other murder occurred when a person walked up to a lawyer and shot him in the head. This happened about five years ago and no one has been arrested.

The cops in my area make, on average, $90,000 a year (detectives make about $120,000 a year) and spend most of their time sitting in parking lots.

I would LOVE to have their job where I live.

Last edited by jburress; 05-10-2014 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 11:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Depends where you live.

Where I live there has been 2 murders in the last 15 years (out of a population of 45,000 +)

One person turned himself in immediately after committing the murder. He killed his mother and offered no resistance when the police responded.

The other murder occurred when a person walked up to a lawyer and shot him in the head. This happened about five years ago and no one has been arrested.

The cops in my area make, on average, $90,000 a year (detectives make about $120,000 a year) and spend most of their time sitting in parking lots.

Tons of construction in the DFW area. At night the cops sit in their cars with their lights on protecting the off ramps that lead into the contruction areas.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:12 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Tons of construction in the DFW area. At night the cops sit in their cars with their lights on protecting the off ramps that lead into the contruction areas.
Easy OT.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 AM

1,070 posts, read 739,800 times
So you that all cops do is solve murder cases..... Right. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Depends where you live.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:57 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Carpenters don't swear an oath to uphold the law and arrest people who break it. What a warped sense of reasoning.

I know there's some bad business man out there. I despise them as well. Get it honest.

Is there anything else you have to say? Care to point out the posters who hate ALL Police?
" Care to point out the posters who hate ALL Police?" Not my responsibility to teach you.

All YOU have to do is read the anti police threads of which there are plenty.

If you are too lazy to do it yourself, then you can stay uniformed.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Carpenters don't swear an oath to uphold the law and arrest people who break it. What a warped sense of reasoning.

I know there's some bad business man out there. I despise them as well. Get it honest.

Is there anything else you have to say? Care to point out the posters who hate ALL Police?
I knew my post would be over some posters heads. Thank you for substantiating my thought.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Very few bad carpenters are murdering innocent people and having it covered up by cops. Cops do! Your statement and comparison is about as asinine as any comment I've ever read here. Comparing carpenters that break the law to cops that routinely break the law impacting the lives of innocent Americans with the support and cover-up of their department and their union is absolutely asinine! The only good cop is one that won't cover for the bad ones! The Nuremberg defense doesn't work anymore! If cops are so concerned only with their pensions and going home after their shift, they should just stay home. Cowards!
When you have a preconceived opinion NOTHING anyone says will make sense to you.

"Let's say you are a carpenter" I am sorry I didn't write to 4th grade level so many of you could understand.

I could have used ANY job or issue, or affiliation, etc. I accept the fact that it is over your head, so I will "attempt" to explain.

Because a person does something wrong is NO reason to accuse ALL people of doing wrong.

Many on here claim because there a few bad apples in police that ALL police are bad apples.

To paint EVERY AS COP as bad is asinine.

Let's try this one. Bill Clinton, a dem, is a convicted liar. Does that make EVERY dem a liar? No.

Do you understand now?

Old 05-11-2014, 06:30 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
For those who seem to think that police are corrupt, evil, and everything bad, look at this

Police officer goes above and beyond for Sumter teen - WSMV Channel 4

For those who only wish to complain, let me remind you that every day, Law Enforcement officers go out of their way to help some one, and individually, there are many who want to portray a good image of law enforcement.

Sadly, the press likes to focus only on the mistakes, but when someone decides to step up and be part of the solution in life rather than part of the problem, it is good to see the press at least noticing.
Good for him. But maybe you haven't noticed, but millions of people do charitable things and give things and money to people in need every day. If we publicized every charitable act it would fill every news web site in the world.

And oh by the way, I don't know anybody who thinks all police are corrupt and evil. And if you really like good cops, you should rejoice every time bad cops are exposed. You should applaud everyone and every news reporter who calls out corrupt LE. Those of us here on CD posting about LE abuse of power are doing good cops a favor.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 AM

924 posts, read 667,257 times
Most cops don't do Jack **** during their work day to make us safer.

They cruise around on the road, run their cars in parking lots for hours on end, or set up speed traps.

The actual detectives work, but they aren't chasing perps across rooftops, they're typically typing up memos waiting on their next court date.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It was a case where he had discretion in carrying out the law also. Does this make him a bad law enforcement official?
If such "discretion" is based on race, ethnicity, position, status, profession, relationship or quid pro quo.

In interpreting statutes, the Supreme Court has often recognized the rule "that a thing may be within the letter of the statute and yet not within the statute, because not within its spirit, nor within the intention of its makers." E.g., United Steelworkers of America v. Weber, 443 U.S. 193, 201, 61 L. Ed. 2d 480, 99 S. Ct. 2721 (1979) (quoting Holy Trinity Church v. United States, 143 U.S. 457, 459, 36 L. Ed. 226, 12 S. Ct. 511 (1892)).

In recognizing the principle that a statute's language and purpose may at time differ, the Court has stated guidelines for reconciling the two:

There is, of course, no more persuasive evidence of the purpose of a statute than the words by which the legislature undertook to give expression to its wishes. Often these words are sufficient in and of themselves to determine the purpose of the legislation. In such cases we have followed their plain meaning. When that meaning has led to absurd or futile results, however, this Court has looked beyond the words to the purpose of the act. Frequently, however, even when the plain meaning did not produce absurd results but merely an unreasonable one "plainly at variance with the policy of legislation as a whole" this Court has followed that purpose, rather than the literal words. When aid to construction of the meaning of words, as used in the statute, is available, there certainly can be no "rule of law" which forbids its use, however clear the words may appear on "superficial examination."

United States v. American Trucking Associations, 310 U.S. 534, 543-44, 84 L. Ed. 1345, 60 S. Ct. 1059 (1940) (footnotes omitted), quoted in Church of Scientology v. United States Department of Justice, 612 F.2d 417, 422 (9th Cir. 1979); accord Burroughs v. Operating Engineers Local Union No. 3, 686 F.2d 723, 727 (9th Cir. 1982).

That is the standard to be used. A lower standard may be applied to misdemeanors and lesser offenses in the absence of death, injury or property damage.
Right?

Roll through a stop sign = discretion, unless there is death, injury or property damage, not, gosh, well, your husband, wife, father, mother is a cop so you get special preferential noble treatment, and we'll lie an make sure the other party is cited for an offense they never committed, so that it is their fault and you can make them pay by bleeding them dry.

Quote:
Most people don't realize what kind of jobs cops are doing,...
Everyone knows, especially those of us who were there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A cops job is not to buy furniture for people and hand deliver them.

He went well beyond his job and is acting as a mentor for a kid in a way that is not required.
Um, mentoring is the job of everyone in the community.

Quote:
I wish you had a chance to do job for a day....
I did it for over three years.

Quote:
Very true points. I didn't know until I had one try to set me up.

I've heard horror stories from talking to public defenders. Couldn't image what I'd do if one of my 2 instances had ruined my future.
And you don't even know the half of it...that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What a very asinine comment. What do you do for job? Let's say you are a carpenter. Have ANY carpenters ever broken a law? I'd bet there are hundreds even thousands.

By your "reasoning" ALL carpenters are bad because some did wrong.

What a warped sense of reasoning you have.
Not as warped as yours, but that's typical of Fascists.

Carpenters have no duty to enforce the law....that is the duty of police, and it is their duty even when the offender is a "brother officer."

In case you forgot: No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States

In the military we hold sentries and persons in positions of special trust or authority to an higher standard. That means Joe the Soldier does time for the crime, but Joe the Soldier working as a Sentry does the time, plus an extra 5 to 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How do you know who is dirty or not? Are you a mind reader?
People who are not blind can see.

Quote:
My issue is, if there's so many good cops why aren't they stopping the bad ones? Is it not their duty to fight crime?
It certainly is. Any time a group is elevated with immunity over another in any society it is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's like anything else in life. You have cool folks and creeps in every profession.
The cashier at Wal-Mart can lie and commit perjury under oath on the witness stand --- holding a banner high in hand proclaiming "I'm a cop my word is Gospel" -- to get you convicted?

The burger-flipper at McDonald's can threaten and intimidate witnesses to withhold exculpatory evidence?

A university professor can taze you and beat the crap out of you for taking longer than 3 nanoseconds to open your textbook to page 378?

You need to come out of your hole once in a while.

If you want to impress me, post a story about cops tazing or shooting another cop who violated the civil rights of a US Citizen or committed a crime against a US Citizen.

Not impressed...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies