Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM

15,653 posts, read 10,423,350 times

Advertisements

What does the high cost, private liberal arts college graduate with large student loans and a philosophy major say to the newly minted, state college, engineering graduate with no student loans?

“Would you like fries with that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,157,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everyone on CD has your same story. They did absolutely everything right.

LMAO...it's a wonder you guys don't have broken arms with all the self back patting you do.
I'm pretty proud of myself and my accomplishments. Why shouldn't I be?

I'll also note that you criticize and cast doubt on others for their accomplishments when in fact your education was paid for entirely by someone else. Your hard work (or lack thereof) didn't pay for ****.

Where I come from, we call those types of people "ungrateful bastards." Maybe where you come from working for your accomplishments is not expected. That's sad.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM

778 posts, read 825,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm pretty proud of myself and my accomplishments. Why shouldn't I be?

I'll also note that you criticize and cast doubt on others for their accomplishments when in fact your education was paid for entirely by someone else. Your hard work (or lack thereof) didn't pay for ****.

Where I come from, we call those types of people "ungrateful bastards." Maybe where you come from working for your accomplishments is not expected. That's sad.

It's fine to be proud of your achievements. You obviously worked hard for them.

But for every one of "you" there's at least one person who did the same thing: worked hard, got good grades, networked smartly, applied everywhere they could...and is still working a minimum wage retail job.

Some things are out of your control. You can attribute it to luck or fate or a higher power or social conditions, but remember that for every job you've applied for, someone just as good as you didn't get it.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:21 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,237,301 times
I sit back and notice that the Class of 2014 started school in 2009-2010. Their parents had lost their ability to get money that was saved in certain accounts and were unable to hit the refinance button on their homes. So yes this years class is seeing the result of Laissez-faire economics and what it can do to the middle-class.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:32 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,764,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The Class of 2014 Just Made History in the Worst Imaginable Way - PolicyMic

I predict my generation will be the first that is worse off then the prior generation.
Maybe you should have thought about the debt before acquiring it. Not everyone has to attend college to make a living. You fell for the government line is all and now you get to pay for it.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:45 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,784,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Our student loan debt issue is just another well intentioned liberal program with negative consequences.
That is my point. And anytime government, liberals gets involved in the name of helping the poor, they end up driving up the costs.

Liberals never do look at consequences, that they end up hurting everyone.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I sit back and notice that the Class of 2014 started school in 2009-2010. Their parents had lost their ability to get money that was saved in certain accounts and were unable to hit the refinance button on their homes. So yes this years class is seeing the result of Laissez-faire economics and what it can do to the middle-class.
A result of government getting involved, you know,.. everyone "deserves a house. Ease those qualifications, put people in homes they can't afford. The domino effect of trying to help the poor will be paid for years to come.

This is what happens when government gets involved in the name of helping the poor. Government dabbling drives costs up and makes more poor people.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM

When Obama did the cash for clunkers deal I asked my brother if he was going to do it.

He said "why would I do that? All Obama is getting people who can't afford a car payment to buy a car, they'll be worse off. If they can't afford a couple hundred dollar a month payment now will that change because they drove their clunker in and got a little money off. Do they think they can suddenly afford that payment? And only fools will get 5-6 year car loans.

He was going through hard times and it was then that I realized that he would pull out and do just fine.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
A result of government getting involved, you know,.. everyone "deserves a house. Ease those qualifications, put people in homes they can't afford. The domino effect of trying to help the poor will be paid for years to come.

This is what happens when government gets involved in the name of helping the poor. Government dabbling drives costs up and makes more poor people.
In this case it was a failure of Govt under conservative idea of "Lassiez-Faire" economics. The entire house (economy) almost came down. If it wasnt for the safety net it would have been much worse.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
In this case it was a failure of Govt under conservative idea of "Lassiez-Faire" economics. The entire house (economy) almost came down. If it wasnt for the safety net it would have been much worse.
You better look into who started it and who warned about it coming and who ignored it.

Started Housing Crises in the name of helping the poor: Democrats
Warned against it: Republican
Laughed at Republican when warned: Democrat
Who suffered: Almost everyone except for the people who understood what was going on and understood not to be suckered in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies