Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:31 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Maybe you should have thought about the debt before acquiring it. Not everyone has to attend college to make a living. You fell for the government line is all and now you get to pay for it.
I did think about it and I've paid mine down to 2k and expect to pay it off at the end of this year in 1/2 the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:34 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I did think about it and I've paid mine down to 2k and expect to pay it off at the end of this year in 1/2 the time.
Then you're good. And by the way... Good for you!

A friend of mine is an attorney. After he graduated I asked him how's it feel to finally be on his way. (at the time I didn't realize the problem). I was ask because I thought he would be so happy. To my surprise he told me about the debt that he had to take on for school. I was shocked. He busted his butt and now he is deep in debt. Yes he'll make more money but because of that government looks at him as a piggy bank. Not only will it take awhile for him to dig out of debt, he'll have to pay for the dead beats.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Well without a college degree your chances of having to work multiple minimum wage jobs to survive is vastly increased. The debt is more or less an investment that will pay off eventually.
Plenty of skilled tradespeople who would disagree with you there. They're probably also not living with mom+dad at 27 either.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm pretty proud of myself and my accomplishments. Why shouldn't I be?

I'll also note that you criticize and cast doubt on others for their accomplishments when in fact your education was paid for entirely by someone else. Your hard work (or lack thereof) didn't pay for ****.

Where I come from, we call those types of people "ungrateful bastards." Maybe where you come from working for your accomplishments is not expected. That's sad.
You're proud of WHAT accomplishments?

Who are you to be puffing out your chest? It's not like you're Bill Gates or something. You're just a regular dude that went to college. Tens of millions of Americans have done that. So what?

And I'm supposed to feel bad because my parents could afford to pay for my education?

If you could've gotten that deal, you would've taken it too. Too bad that it wasn't an option for you. Blame your folks...not me.

My parents OWED me that education because they brought me here . That's how it works when you have kids.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:09 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yea, you're pretty much screwed. You'll have to take on that huge debt to educate yourself to be able to fill those positions. When you're in debt like that, especially starting out, you're screwed.

But hey, you all think you know it all. Like I said, not my problem. Good luck.
well I had my parents paying my college education. But there are a lot of people who are not as fortunate as I am. Don't be so near sighted, when government is not investing in education, we all lose. But then again you will never admit it.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Then you're good. And by the way... Good for you!

A friend of mine is an attorney. After he graduated I asked him how's it feel to finally be on his way. (at the time I didn't realize the problem). I was ask because I thought he would be so happy. To my surprise he told me about the debt that he had to take on for school. I was shocked. He busted his butt and now he is deep in debt. Yes he'll make more money but because of that government looks at him as a piggy bank. Not only will it take awhile for him to dig out of debt, he'll have to pay for the dead beats.
I took out 11k to get a masters degree which worked out well for me (I had a job the november before I graduated). While I don't believe in some sort of blanket loan forgiveness, I do have to say that the 6.55% interest rate is absolutely absurd and should be dropped.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I took out 11k to get a masters degree which worked out well for me (I had a job the november before I graduated). While I don't believe in some sort of blanket loan forgiveness, I do have to say that the 6.55% interest rate is absolutely absurd and should be dropped.
Raising the interest rates on student loans could not come at a worse time. Young people graduating from college face tough job prospects, with many unable to find a job and unable to pay back the debt they have acquired. Piling on even more debt is likely to raise default rates and make it more difficult for today's generation to get a solid financial footing.

My $80,000 college tuition didn't buy me a good career. I went to the university for their sports program. I wanted to be a professional athlete. So my major was art history. I also had an art degree, but most of the talented artists I know are still starving artists. I am glad that I have trust fund and family businesses to fall back on. So I am good.

Like I posted earlier I have no ideas how my classmates pay off their ridiculous student loan with the crappy jobs that they now have.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Thanks urban, yet another opportunity to point out why you are wrong.

Progressives causing trouble for everyone in the name of helping the poor:
Obama was a pioneering contributor (anti-redlining” campaign) to the national subprime real estate bubble, and roughly half of the 186 African-American clients have since gone bankrupt or received foreclosure notices… Then the Clinton-era push to lend more to poor people ... caused the mortgage crisis and subsequently the financial crash?

Warning:
On the flip side, President George W. Bush warned the Democratic Congress 17 times in 2008 alone

Democrats Denied It:
Warnings went unheeded, as the President’s repeated attempts to reform the supervision of these entities were thwarted by the legislative maneuvering of those who emphatically denied there were problems.

Fact Check: Obama Had More to Do With 2008 Economic Meltdown Than Bush Ever Did
hey-barney-frank-the-government-did-cause-the-housing-crisis/249903/

Everyone hurt in the name of helping the poor
Everytime the government gets involved in the name of helping the poor it ends up hurting everyone.
I am fine with getting rid of red lining, that is a racist thing to do, but how exactly was Obama a "pioneering contributor?"

African Americans were also hit the hardest with layoffs during the recession in 2008, so it isn't a surprise that many of them had to foreclose on their homes.

If Bush waited until 2008 to warn people, then he was already too late. Warning someone that their house is on fire after it burned down isn't a warning.

But nice try blaming it on a guy who wasn't even president when the recession happened.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Raising the interest rates on student loans could not come at a worse time. Young people graduating from college face tough job prospects, with many unable to find a job and unable to pay back the debt they have acquired. Piling on even more debt is likely to raise default rates and make it more difficult for today's generation to get a solid financial footing.

My $80,000 college tuition didn't buy me a good career. I went to the university for their sports program. I wanted to be a professional athlete. So my major was art history. I also had an art degree, but most of the talented artists I know are still starving artists. I am glad that I have trust fund and family businesses to fall back on. So I am good.

Like I posted earlier I have no ideas how my classmates pay off their ridiculous student loan with the crappy jobs that they now have.
Yeah whats sad is not so long ago tuition at alot of state ran college institutions was free. Glad u had a great ohana.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Yeah whats sad is not so long ago tuition at alot of state ran college institutions was free. Glad u had a great ohana.
and what is the bolded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies